Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3969725 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #11750 on: 26 February, 2012, 01:29:35 pm »
I went shopping on my hybrid this morning and obtained huge satisfaction from passing queueing cars for a looooong time into the town centre. Was suprisingly cold without cycling gear on though. I also had an opportunity to talk to the owner of a new LBS who is not going down the total bling route, which is nice. Good to see new bike businesses opening locally. There has been a shop at his location for at least 300 years apparently (no not all bikes silly).

Is he going to stock Van Nick !!!?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11751 on: 26 February, 2012, 01:43:29 pm »
10 pleasant miles on the fixed along the Rea Valley and Sustrans 5, delivering C, B & TGL to Mordor Central.
Have awarded myself lunch in the pub which I am currently enjoying.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #11752 on: 26 February, 2012, 02:25:18 pm »
A 200k Deeside Loop.

We started as 4, but lost 2 along the way.
2 of us finished in 10 hours.

Blustery headwinds at the start of the day and up the Cairnwell ( obviously ), but the wind eased in the afternoon.   Couple of light showers but nothing dramatic.

No snow at Glenshee.

Not too much in the way of interesting wildlife along the way.  A coupla buzzards, a coupla proper Red Squirrels and some roadkill is all that comes to mind.

Some deer brown hares.

« Reply #11753 on: 26 February, 2012, 03:12:03 pm »
I went shopping on my hybrid this morning and obtained huge satisfaction from passing queueing cars for a looooong time into the town centre. Was suprisingly cold without cycling gear on though. I also had an opportunity to talk to the owner of a new LBS who is not going down the total bling route, which is nice. Good to see new bike businesses opening locally. There has been a shop at his location for at least 300 years apparently (no not all bikes silly).

Is he going to stock Van Nick !!!?

Nah he's more the raleigh end of things, second hand bikes etc. Today fabulous pootle down local lanes approx 48k and surprisingly very few cyclists about.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Out today
« Reply #11754 on: 26 February, 2012, 03:49:39 pm »
Whereas I've seldom seen more cyclists than today. We're taking tea in S. Woodham Ferrers. Another twelve miles or so and we'll be home. Glorious day and I got me legs out.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11755 on: 26 February, 2012, 04:22:20 pm »
Club reliability rides today. Three groups, record turn-out. I took two old hands and three novices around the shortest run, 36 miles to teh Meikleour beech hedge and back[1]
Saw the mid-length run pass the end of the road as we were a few hundred metres from the junction (not bad timing estimate) but the long run were much longer back. I'll readjust the start times for next year.

..d

[1] What's so special about a hedge you may ask. JFGI.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #11756 on: 26 February, 2012, 05:41:20 pm »
Out onto the Millennium Path in Llanelli with my Dad and on towards Burry Port and beyond and then back. The sun was shining (highly unusual) and the tide was full in whilst the sea was of a millpond like quality  :thumbsup: Whilst I am a Gower girl through and through, I don't think even that could have bettered the quality and variety of landscape that we saw today. Tons and tons of folk out on their bicycles  :D

Am here til Saturday morning so am thinking of just as pleasant pootling around the South Wales area - a bit of celtic trail and probably up the Aman Valley as well.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11757 on: 26 February, 2012, 06:01:20 pm »
52.05 miles (Mrs. Wow's computer made it 52.11) at just under 9 mph.

Great day, perfect company.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #11758 on: 26 February, 2012, 06:16:00 pm »
I went out twice. On both occasions I nipped in and out of Richmond Park.
What a great sight. Loads of people in the sun enjoying themselves , cycling  , walking , running , playing a variety of sports.
And motorists. They were all glumly sitting in long lines , waiting for their turn to drive round car parks looking for non-existent parking places.
When will they learn ?
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #11759 on: 26 February, 2012, 07:03:57 pm »
Out with Jane, just the two of us on this today.

A chilly start, followed by a day where I struggled to warm up, but spangly blue skies and sunshine were had in large doses.

Relatively quite roads - even on what would be expected to be the busier parts. A mix of some exemplary driving / overtaking (nicely executed Mr. Spanish artic driver :thumbsup:) as well as a few 60mph >< far away from my elbow passes in a 40mph limit  >:(.

Notable things seen today included:
a herd of deer stampeding across a field.
A herd of Veteran Cycle Club members leaving the Lion in Ickleton where we'd elected to take lunch, just as we arrived. Riding all manner of two wheeled vintage exotica including a brace of Elswicks (one with acetylene lamp), an air-sea rescue yellow Hetchins with trademark stays, a pair of Mercians, a George Stratton tandem, a Colnago and a Bianchi which were clearly pushing their luck in the vintage stakes.
Pleasantries were exchanged, albeit a tad one directional. Few remarks were made about Jane's and my modern bicycles made from modern materials.
I think Jane was happy in the company of the vintage stuff [/understatement]

Oh and thank you, Jane, for the very fine company on the ride today.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11760 on: 26 February, 2012, 07:32:19 pm »
Sounds wonderful.

Jan and I did 52 miles. Rather slow at times, but a few more of them and we'll be able to join you on a Cambridge jaunt and not hold everyone up too much!

« Reply #11761 on: 26 February, 2012, 07:41:48 pm »
Sounds wonderful.
.....and we'll be able to join you on a Cambridge jaunt and not hold everyone up to much!

It was, and you'd be most welcome.

The pace today was definitely conversational.

A great ride.

Oh, and blimey!!!!

I almost forgot - Duhhhhhh!!!! Jurek!!!!!

Just after we'd left the DNA path and Addenbrookes compound in Cambridge and were riding into town,  a car passed us and pulled up in the cycle lane ahead, blocking it.
Occupant of passenger seat exited and stood behind the car waving us on.
WTF? We thought. If he want's a push he has no chance!

It was the delightful Regulator who had spotted us!
Great to see you Greg, it's been a while  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11762 on: 26 February, 2012, 07:58:20 pm »
We had a very pleasant ride, led by the wonderful Basil. along the Rea Valley Route, from Bournville, through Cannon Hill Park, right into Digbeth and the centre of the city.

We passed The Village pub, with rainbow flags, which was playing Abba, just in case they weren't stereotyped enough.  And we paused beside Clone Zone, which had, inter alia, lycra bibshorts, which seemed to complement the pad Butterfly had bought from Rohan at Swinfen, in that, they seemed to have nothing there at all.  We assumed this was because the gentlemen frequenting the shop were long-distance cyclists, and were very picky about having their own preference of chamois.  It's the only possible explanation.

Mordor Central was no problem at all, and a lot nicer than it used to be.

The Rea Valley is quite lovely, with a tarmacced path the whole length, and contradicts all the received opinion of Birmingham, that much-abused city.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11763 on: 26 February, 2012, 08:03:37 pm »
Had been vaguely thinking about a 50 mile CTC ride but couldn't get out till after 11 due to family stuff, and it was just as well as I was truly knackered after that many kms, let alone miles!  :-[  :( Also a good thing as I needed to practice my clipping and unclipping on my new SPDs - I think I'm getting to like them, but there are still one or two situations where I wish for toeclips.  :-\ Headed out in Sherston direction, up Hinton Hill and then instead of using the map I followed my nose - by the time I did stop to consult the map, I'd ridden off the edge of it! - along some lovely lanes ending up in the synfonious trio of Grittleton, Nettleton and West Kington. By now I was hungry so followed signs past a Prohibited Place in the Meaning of the Act, I can't tell you where because if you read it you'll have to be imprisoned (oh alright, it was RAF Colerne) and the Three Shires Stones (Feline, if you're reading this, no I did not!) and cracked 30mph descending Bannerdown - what a shame it has mini-roundabouts! Stopped in Batheaston for a pseudo-sandwich and a Wispa Gold, the latter because my son always tell me about these "Gold bars" his friend Alfie has - it was full of toffee, I found it sickly but I can see the attraction for kids. The food did not satisfy me and I was out of energy, so pleased when I arrived at Bitton Station - and disappointed to find the cafe had no hot food left. So I had a cup of tea and the very last slice of cake (something huge and sugary) as well as a bag of crisps - the only savoury thing they had left! I expect it was the tea that did the trick because after that I felt much better all the way home. 78km.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11764 on: 26 February, 2012, 08:06:35 pm »
The Rea Valley is quite lovely, with a tarmacced path the whole length, and contradicts all the received opinion of Birmingham, that much-abused city.

The path gets a bit tedious west of Bournville, with frequent stops for toucan crossings and the occasional silly gate (though barakta has negotiated all of them on the trike without dismounting).  The surface also turns to hardpack in several places, albeit pretty decent hardpack.  It's a popular (and flatter) commuter alternative to the various main roads in this direction, and bike ninjas on BSOs easily outnumber the dog emptiers at peak times..

I thoroughly recommend riding it after dark at least once.  They've installed solar-powered LED 'runway lights' along most of the route, and it's rather pretty.

The less said about Route 5 to the north of the city, the better.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11765 on: 26 February, 2012, 08:17:32 pm »
Basil pointed out the runway lights, which did look fun.
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11766 on: 26 February, 2012, 08:18:10 pm »
Out with the Tandem Club on a London marathon ride, so called because it was alleged to be 26 mile and whatever yards. Led by Tom Crispin and Clare, we met at the Thames Barrier. Onward to Woolwich where our two choices of "wait for the ferry" cafe were both shut , we elected to take the foot tunnel, inc. stairs.  Once across the river we we went along it towards London City Airport, then lots of meandering and up onto the Greenway.  Spotted Topcat1 and Sig, from That Other Parish. Good to see Sig out on the bike.

Lunch at the Olympic Park, then Victoria Park, Ornamental Canal, St Katherine's Dock, Towerr Bridge . Coffee anna bun at Surrey Docks Farm, then carried on downstream. Saw my mate Jan heading towards us. He'd ridden up NCN21 from Horley and was looking for London Bridge station. Back at the barrier, we shot off to New Cross Gate and a crowded train. Fantastic day.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11767 on: 26 February, 2012, 08:18:46 pm »

They can be made to light up in the daytime by lying a glove over them for a couple of minutes.   :D

« Reply #11768 on: 26 February, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »
so pleased when I arrived at Bitton Station - and disappointed to find the cafe had no hot food left. So I had a cup of tea and the very last slice of cake (something huge and sugary) as well as a bag of crisps - the only savoury thing they had left! I expect it was the tea that did the trick because after that I felt much better all the way home.

The cafe alas is not as good, since its refurbishment  :(

Had a gentle pootle with Little Dinamo this afternoon, from home along the Ring road cycle path and onto Ram Hill.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #11769 on: 26 February, 2012, 09:15:09 pm »
I headed out to London, to do a CC Sunday Ride, and had an incentive to race down the A5, keeping up with this:-

About 35 miles in total today, mainly on a circular route south of the River Thames, along the Embankment, where there were lots and lots of rowers in training, then back over Hammersmith Bridge, lots of little back roads, and then cutting across Hyde Park, which was teeming with people walking, skating, roller blading, Boris biking etc.

Nice to be out in the sunshine.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11770 on: 26 February, 2012, 09:25:07 pm »

They can be made to light up in the daytime by lying a glove over them for a couple of minutes.   :D

You see, that's why I like you Kim, you think of these things, and then test them for science with the equipment available at the time.  Bravo.  :thumbsup:
Of course, it never even occurred to me.  :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11771 on: 26 February, 2012, 10:01:51 pm »
Hyde Park, which was teeming with people walking, skating, roller blading, Boris biking etc.

Nice to be out in the sunshine.
And what's the name for what those people are doing? Looks like a combination of roller blading, or perhaps it's skateboarding, and 'Nordic walking'.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11772 on: 26 February, 2012, 10:09:15 pm »
Forgot to say, went out yesterday too.  Followed the Crawley-Horsham cycle route, from, umm, Crawley to, indeed, Horsham, as Mrs. Hall has a new! shiny! job there and wanted to scope out cycling possibilities.

The trouble with the cycle route is They don't want you to know where it goes (at least in one direction). So heading towards Crawley the signs say things like "Town Centre" and "$Neighbourhood". But Horshamwards they say nothing. just White on Blue cycle signs. No clue at all as to where we're going. 

I had a good idea where we were headed. And a map. But Joe Punter would be stuck. And then to top it off, about 2 miles out of town, along a quiet lane, not that far from the middle of nowhere there's a sign "End of Route". WTF?  Yet 50m on is a well surfaced bridle way, leading to another lane and sensible way into town. Ho hum.

Late breakfast was taken in the cafe in the park, then we headed back, trying to find a bridle way that went to the next station along the line. However this was a proper horse flavoured bridle way, coated in mud, leading to Comedy Off Roading on Mildly Inappropriate Bikes (TM). A bit of buzzard spotting and we were back on the cycle route. Coffee at The Girl's flat then home.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #11773 on: 26 February, 2012, 11:01:23 pm »
first good ride of the year :-[ weather was good and dry so the boardman cx team got to stay at home and got the cannondale synapse carbon whooooo had forgot how great it was to ride  ;D did aycliffe-seaham   forgot to add pic .. we had a little snack to help us get home again. ;D
                                                                                                  larry
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/152778441

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11774 on: 27 February, 2012, 07:18:48 am »
Sounds wonderful.
.....and we'll be able to join you on a Cambridge jaunt and not hold everyone up to much!

It was, and you'd be most welcome.

The pace today was definitely conversational.

A great ride.

Oh, and blimey!!!!

I almost forgot - Duhhhhhh!!!! Jurek!!!!!

Just after we'd left the DNA path and Addenbrookes compound in Cambridge and were riding into town,  a car passed us and pulled up in the cycle lane ahead, blocking it.
Occupant of passenger seat exited and stood behind the car waving us on.
WTF? We thought. If he want's a push he has no chance!

It was the delightful Regulator who had spotted us!
Great to see you Greg, it's been a while  :thumbsup:

Sorry I couldn't stop for longer - we were late for the film.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor