Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2366559 times)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1350 on: August 27, 2008, 02:39:34 pm »
Yes, my 14.4 mile lunchtime loop.

I used the Orbit Road bike I just bought from Rogerzilla and obliterated my personal best time by minutes (tough to do over only 14 miles).  Very pleased indeed (although I realise it's the bike and not me).

On the other hand, your normal time on your normal bike could be the bike and not you!

I believe that you are blessed, as I am, with a Thorn Raven Sports Tour? My normal 16½ mile pootle takes me about 1h 20m on that, although the last attempt was 1h 28m (almost entirely unhelpful wind). I've done it in 58m on the Mercian. I was bloody knackered though.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1351 on: August 27, 2008, 03:12:27 pm »
Went out yesterday, 20 miles through the Hampshire countryside.

Unfortunately the nut holding my crank on worked loose and despite retightening every couple of miles made a final bid for freedom a couple of miles from home. So last few miles with one leg, 'spare' crank in my jersey pocket :-\

LEE

« Reply #1352 on: August 27, 2008, 03:32:33 pm »

I used the Orbit Road bike I just bought from Rogerzilla and obliterated my personal best time by minutes (tough to do over only 14 miles).  Very pleased indeed (although I realise it's the bike and not me).

On the other hand, your normal time on your normal bike could be the bike and not you!

I believe that you are blessed, as I am, with a Thorn Raven Sports Tour? My normal 16½ mile pootle takes me about 1h 20m on that, although the last attempt was 1h 28m (almost entirely unhelpful wind). I've done it in 58m on the Mercian. I was bloody knackered though.

It's a Raven Tour rather than the sport but yes, I suppose it's all relative to the bike you are riding. Originally (on my Mercian-a-like tourer) I posted 1h 2m (in 2004).  Over the years I managed to get it down to 51 mins last year and can consistently do it in 52m now (but 50m was painfully elusive).

I just went round in 48m on the Orbit and I'm far from 'match fit'.  I think 45m is possible if i get back down to a decent weight.  It's relentlessly lumpy around here so body weight plays a big part, there is a lot of time up for grabs on those little lumps.

If nothing else it shows that you can improve your fitness in a few years if you stick at it.

14 minutes over 14 miles/1hour is a significant improvement.  Certainly it's hard to imagine that I could give the 2004 me a 14 minute head-start.

alan

« Reply #1353 on: August 27, 2008, 04:44:49 pm »
Consider it a date, we can always find a bed or at least floor space for another YACFr, the more the merrier.

Allow me to recommend Chez TKP B&B.Marj & I were treated to tea in bed this morning.Most excellent :thumbsup:
Many thanks to Toekneep & GillP for their hospitality.

« Reply #1354 on: August 27, 2008, 07:03:03 pm »
Consider it a date, we can always find a bed or at least floor space for another YACFr, the more the merrier.

That would be really nice, thank you so much, just the kind of thing I need to hear right now. I usually ride to Blackpool and back at least once a year.

alan

« Reply #1355 on: August 27, 2008, 07:34:19 pm »
I don't usually ride to Blackspotpool & back once a year but I could make an exception in your case & meet you there. 8)

« Reply #1356 on: August 27, 2008, 07:40:42 pm »
I don't usually ride to Blackspotpool & back once a year but I could make an exception in your case & meet you there. 8)

Days are getting shorter now so there and back in a day will be a tougher ride for me unless we do it before the clocks change, even then it doesn't give me much time there. I usually do it in the spring as a bridge between a 200 and the first 300km ride. I'd consider an overnighter though.

« Reply #1357 on: August 27, 2008, 10:04:11 pm »
I've been showing my parents my new house, and the delights (!) of Croydon, so today has been a spectacularly low mileage day, with about 1.5 miles of cycling to Sainsburys with the trailer to get essential food.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LEE

« Reply #1358 on: August 28, 2008, 10:56:02 pm »

Just obliterated my 27 mile route PB by 7 minutes on the Orbit.  Thanks again Rogerzilla, I'm really enjoying travelling so quickly.

I wasn't even trying too hard.  My neck hurt a bit at the end as the riding position is lower than I'm used to.

The most noticeable thing is that, although it is higher-geared than my tourers, the end of climbs appear so much more quickly that it's all over before my legs and lungs give out.

Can't imagine what a seriously high-end road bike must feel like.

« Reply #1359 on: August 29, 2008, 12:05:48 am »
That's it Lee - we aren't left behind on Denmead rides because we are middle aged and lardy, it's just that everyone else has faster bikes  ;)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1360 on: August 29, 2008, 08:17:52 am »
127 miles yesterday in very nice weather apart from the headwind.  I've got my cyclist's tan back.  :thumbsup:

I was supposed to be going from York, back home to Luton.

A combination of factors meant I had to bail out at Melton Mowbray at 4.30 pm and get the train back, as I still had another 80 miles to go.  First, I didn't leave until 8 am which was a bit too late bearing in mind I was allowing 12 hours including stops.  Then I ended up doing an extra 25 miles going round in circles due to the non existent and confusing road signs on the minor roads south of Snaith, and finally my bottom bracket had started to develop a funny clicking sound. 

In fact by the time I got home, it was producing about 3 clicks per revolution so I'll be busy in the garage today.........
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #1361 on: August 29, 2008, 08:58:16 am »
Not yet, but we're going shortly.

Train to Shenfield then a repeat of last summer's Christmas Ride. One difference: Mrs. Wow will be riding her Dawes Discovery 701!

LEE

« Reply #1362 on: August 29, 2008, 10:10:14 am »
That's it Lee - we aren't left behind on Denmead rides because we are middle aged and lardy, it's just that everyone else has faster bikes  ;)

I honestly didn't think it would make such a difference.  I'd be even faster if I had STI levers because I'm a bit too lazy to change gear as much as I should using downtube levers. 

You have to remember though that I'd end up in traction if I attempted to ride a long Audax on it, it's definitely the quickest way to cycle to the Physiotherapist's treatment table.

I reckon I could put up with the posture for 100km though.

« Reply #1363 on: August 29, 2008, 10:14:11 am »
Yep, 41 miles before anyone was awake !

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #1364 on: August 29, 2008, 06:26:12 pm »
Yep, 41 miles before anyone was awake !

Nonsense, GruB. I rolled over in bed at about ten to five and Mrs. Wow murmured "Go back to sleep. Only that silly sod GruB gets up to go for a bike ride at this time in the morning!"

Almost 48 miles involving tea, cake, fish and chips and beer. And a great rarity: Mrs. Wow on a solo machine. Pics here.

Oh, and four absolutely beautiful fallow deer, brightly coloured and with pure white spots.

alan

« Reply #1365 on: August 30, 2008, 05:40:21 pm »
Did a few kilometres on the rollers on the patio.Shared the distance between the geared  Trek & fixed Langster.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #1366 on: August 30, 2008, 06:16:38 pm »
22 miles in the lovely sunshine and came home with a couple of pounds of blackberries.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1367 on: August 30, 2008, 06:20:08 pm »
22 miles in the lovely sunshine on the Rockhopper and came home with a bulb of garlic and some organic ground cumin from Waitrose.

I also cycled a bit of Southend that I have never cycled before, from the Garrison, along the sea wall to the coastguard station. There're some impressive fortifications along there that I will explore in due course!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #1368 on: August 30, 2008, 06:21:26 pm »
Nope, I am ashamed to say that I am so knackered after my event in Zurich that I vegged about all day.  :-[

I really was knackered though. I must have been, as I didn't even manage to polish off the left-over Ben & Jerry's until an hour ago...

GillP

« Reply #1369 on: August 30, 2008, 06:22:36 pm »
Approx 48 miles and achieved our aim to cycle round Beacon Fell, having cycled past it a couple of times, lovely cycling weather, a great cafe stop at Chipping and some undulations to keep the hills in our legs.

Fantastic day out  :D

« Reply #1370 on: August 30, 2008, 06:25:02 pm »
200km DIY Perm to make up for missing the Mildenhall 200 last week. Me and Warburton on our best bikes. Warm and humid. Flat route. 9h 4m

« Reply #1371 on: August 30, 2008, 06:30:32 pm »
god, I love riding a bike.  30 miles on fixed in the sunshine :D :D :D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1372 on: August 30, 2008, 06:40:31 pm »
Got dragged out by Mr P.

Thanks to him I had a glorious ride in the sun.

Bastard.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #1373 on: August 30, 2008, 07:55:44 pm »
And a trip to Waitrose. I just noticed that I have passed 6000 miles on the Thorn solo machine since I bought it on 22nd December 2006. I've changed one pair of brake blocks but am still running on the original chain.

Treewheeler

« Reply #1374 on: August 30, 2008, 08:19:56 pm »
ARGH! West Marden, Sussex.
 I went out on me Tricross for a downland thrash when the Battle of Britain flight roared over head at low level and me without a camera too.
 Aside for having a huge welling of nostalgia and a massive erection caused by the throbbing of all those WW2 engines, I nearly joined up there and then to fight the Bosch ;)