Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2575618 times)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24000 on: October 14, 2020, 04:17:28 pm »
80-odd k, stiff NNE wind. Going with wind on right shoulder-blade was fun, going home wasn't.

Seen: three roe-deer belting along in the same direction as me, beautiful.  Also, in another field, a raven, a buzzard and a heron no more than 5 metres from each other and each keeping an eye on the other two. Cue Morricone, Il Triello...
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24001 on: October 14, 2020, 04:44:54 pm »
About 35 miles pottering around locally - bit windy on the way home (into it) - another couple of weeks and I reckon I'll have to put away the red plastic machine and revert to the Van Nic Ti road machine for the winter, as well as the Orbea motorised machine for some rides.  Summer tourer already shrouded up and packed away until Spring.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #24002 on: October 14, 2020, 07:45:13 pm »

Gorgeous sunny morning in peripheries of Cardiff - since we're not permitted to stray off piste into Rhondda Cynon Taf or Vale of Glamorgan.
This is around north of Pentyrch and Creigiau - having started at St Fagan's. There was an Audax route ending near here (Glamorgan Gloom / Glory) and the last info checkpoint was 'who is the vicar of Pentyrch?' SO some of it at least was familiar.

(Let me know if you can't see these fotos - experimenting with imgbox.com)

« Reply #24003 on: October 16, 2020, 08:18:37 am »
Our Thursday night ride numbers are plummeting with a direct correlation with darkness and cooler weather.

Only two of us last night so probably half the ride was on own down country lanes in the dark, not something I have done much of but enjoyed.

An early heavy shower was the only rain but the wet roads did the usual trick of reducing effectiveness of lights and with the mud all over them made descents a slower than usual pleasure.

Did get rather cold so skipped the offer of a beer as leaving the pub back into the cold was less tempting then a beer

Confused a bit on way home. Saw a single rear light in distance and was going to try and catch but was trying to wrk out why it was so bright. Then realised it was hopefully the local game keeper out after rabbits rather then any poachers. I doubt it was poachers. With the advances in night vision I can't imagine they would risk being that conspicuous

« Reply #24004 on: October 18, 2020, 11:39:38 am »
Out at 0700 this moring for a chilly 40 miler.  Loads of bikes out today, came across a Hase Pino and a BJ tandem too.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #24005 on: October 18, 2020, 11:58:44 am »
You say that, possibly with the benefit of experience, but yesterday 40% of the riders were women

Yeah, but how many riders were called John?  It only passes the cycling Bechdel test when you have more women than Johns.
There were no Johns!

Oh! No Johns? No Johns?? No Johns??? No!!!! [/oxfordschoolmusicbook]
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

« Reply #24006 on: October 18, 2020, 03:10:10 pm »
Usual cafe run.  Cool but windless and very nice.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #24007 on: October 18, 2020, 06:03:54 pm »
It's the official start of steamed-up glasses weather.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Have you been out today?
« Reply #24008 on: October 18, 2020, 07:18:31 pm »
I seem to have had a month off the bike, but got my long bottoms on and went for a ride today. Autumn was starting to touch the trees and I found some lovely quiet wooded lanes. (Blackboys, Fairwarp, Chelwood Gate, Piltdown.)

On the downside, I clearly hadn’t got all the footpath avoiding done when I was planning this - and found myself with several changes of plan to work out at the roadside.
68km and 1140m of climb, a bit slow and feeling it now.

« Reply #24009 on: October 18, 2020, 08:14:08 pm »
44 miles today with bjorn notp. Windsor, bray, maidenhead Riverside, Cookham, Bourne end, coles Hill, Beaconsfield, gerards Cross and back. No wind noticeable and overcast all day but pleasent enough. Autumn colours are nice to see  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #24010 on: October 18, 2020, 10:28:43 pm »
The blue route at Hicks Lodge with the boys yesterday. It’s a lovely little mtb route. Not very technical unless you try to take it fast. An opportunity for someone COR though because Louis had my mtb, so I was on a ‘63 Freddie Grubb! I kept it upright and going the right way nearly all the time!
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #24011 on: October 18, 2020, 11:01:55 pm »
It's the official start of steamed-up glasses weather.
It's the official start of standing at the front door of the office building waiting for glasses to unsteam just so a corridor can be safely traversed season tomorrow.

I've never suffered from steamed up glasses until now.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #24012 on: October 19, 2020, 08:05:06 am »
Since lockdown started I've ridden my bike maybe 4 times. Four times in 7 months.

Sat I needed to get out and exercise (besides, the doctor has ordered it). Very tired of trudging up and down the same bit of river in kayak. It isn't any fun when I'm too unfit to go fast.

So I decided to go for a bike ride, pick some unfamiliar lanes. Intended to head out for about 1.5hours or so.

Hmm, maybe following a map would have been a good idea from the start. 2.5hours and something like 65km later I got home. Bit lacking in energy since I hadn't eaten for hours.

That's the furthest I've ridden in a very long time. Pathetic, considering I used to ride 80km a day, just commuting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #24013 on: October 20, 2020, 07:53:35 am »
I feel your pain on the distance, MrC, though I’d regard your pace as fast - to the point of suspecting I’d somehow paused time but not distance on the computer for an hour or so!

« Reply #24014 on: October 20, 2020, 09:23:58 pm »
First proper run in a while this afternoon; a 50km loop, with some bridleway-bashing and hike-a-bike in there as well. Illusions of having really good legs today were shattered when I made the turn and realised that I was now crawling into a headwind. I needed to get back for school pickup, but after 45 minutes of headwind I was flagging a bit, so stopped for a quick coffee and a cake before the last 15km home. Warmer than I'd expected, and managed to dodge most of the weather as well.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #24015 on: October 22, 2020, 01:49:16 pm »
Yesterday, a satisfying 101 km with a fair bit of climbing. No wind to speak of and a few nice long downhill stretches with good views to enjoy. Lunch in favourite coffee shop. Had a hitch-hiking ladybird for company on the way home; got quite fond of her(?) and even started calling her Amandine (she was sorta marzipan colour) but a fast downhill ended our relationship (sniff).

Knackered today. Bloody hell, I had expected to be doing 200k trots by now. I blame the Chinese.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24016 on: October 22, 2020, 03:26:48 pm »
Rolled round 60-odd klicks with a garden centre coffee stop for coffeeneuring purposes.
https://chasingmailboxes.com/2020/09/27/coffeeneuring-challenge-2020-one-good-thing/

Returned home to being asked to work on site on Sunday. I was going to be riding a perm then, so shifting the ride to accommodate work is kind of like the brick in the boxer’s glove. It just makes it a little harder.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #24017 on: October 22, 2020, 06:07:41 pm »
44 km and more than half on minor roads on top of a Roman road.
Found two Jacobean farmhouses, an Autumnal view that I'd never seen before, two dead rabbits and a live squirrel, two robins, three V's of Canada geese, an autogyro, and a kestrel hunting the unplowed margins.
Rooks were raucously falling out with each other on freshly plowed fields, one common mallow livening up a verge and a berk in a Jaguar who overtook me with three feet to spare and then swung in front of me to turn left across me.
Wore my new Nenk thermal lined trousers and wished it had stayed cold!
Fuel consumed: a coconut milk latte and a pain au chocolate at a favourite spot of my dog who died two days ago, and a Snickers bar near home. I've taken to carrying a 5 or 600ml bidon filled with half and half water and fresh orange juice. Good way of getting carbs for a diabetic I've read.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #24018 on: October 23, 2020, 07:01:27 am »
Another dark one last night. Our Thursday night group has dwindled from the summer and at no risk of getting to the rule of six. Thankfully one of the guys is set to ride on Thursdays unless icy and joined by one of my other mates

40km with a bit of town chucked in for a change and a navigational redirection through a housing estate on a cycle path which was notable for the fact everyone seemed to be smoking weed. At several of the road crossings where cyclist dismount signs and the twat dominoes driver who had parked in front of one of the dropped kerbs for the cycle lane

Heading home hear loads of sirens but thought they were on a parallel road as we were going through a small village. When a car came through being driven like an idiot on the run flew past us the other way to our travel we decided to get off the road and several police cars came through in pursuit. Did have to point one that was playing catch up the direction to go as we got to the next junction

Excitement over we carried on home dropped one guy off and the last few miles home down dancing dicks Road (yes really) which was full of cars in the farm track entrances. This would probably explain why as we got into town a police car was heading out down the country lanes

Last bit of excitement was the corner where we met the police being very slippy so my back wheel attempt to overtake the front as I slowed for the police car could have been embarrassing but caught it and cycled on

« Reply #24019 on: October 23, 2020, 09:54:58 am »
Another dark one last night. Our Thursday night group has dwindled from the summer and at no risk of getting to the rule of six. Thankfully one of the guys is set to ride on Thursdays unless icy and joined by one of my other mates

40km with a bit of town chucked in for a change and a navigational redirection through a housing estate on a cycle path which was notable for the fact everyone seemed to be smoking weed. At several of the road crossings where cyclist dismount signs and the twat dominoes driver who had parked in front of one of the dropped kerbs for the cycle lane

Heading home hear loads of sirens but thought they were on a parallel road as we were going through a small village. When a car came through being driven like an idiot on the run flew past us the other way to our travel we decided to get off the road and several police cars came through in pursuit. Did have to point one that was playing catch up the direction to go as we got to the next junction

Excitement over we carried on home dropped one guy off and the last few miles home down dancing dicks Road (yes really) which was full of cars in the farm track entrances. This would probably explain why as we got into town a police car was heading out down the country lanes

Last bit of excitement was the corner where we met the police being very slippy so my back wheel attempt to overtake the front as I slowed for the police car could have been embarrassing but caught it and cycled on
Do you think they might take exception to your having that view of them ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24020 on: October 23, 2020, 11:18:35 am »
Ah that sentence of mine probably belongs in one of those books about punctuation. For the record the road was slippy not the rozzers who I have the utmost respect for and was accepted to join them before the financial crisis and budget cuts but that's another story.

« Reply #24021 on: October 23, 2020, 11:23:41 am »
Sorry, I should have slipped a smiley in there.  Too good an opportunity to miss. :-)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24022 on: October 23, 2020, 01:52:30 pm »
Ah no hatler I took it in the humerous way it was intended.

« Reply #24023 on: October 23, 2020, 07:36:10 pm »
A gentle potter in Windsor Park with bjorn notp of around 14 miles   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #24024 on: October 24, 2020, 03:55:28 pm »
I went for a gentle spin today and for a crepe in the Forest.
Is that like the thing that bears do in the woods?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)