Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2366734 times)

alan

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #600 on: May 22, 2008, 12:49:40 pm »
I cut a couple of large cardboard boxes into strips & filled two large panniers to take them to the recycle place.
Deliberately chose the longer very hilly route outbound 'cause I need the practice.
When I got there the place is closed today :(
Chose a slightly shorter less hilly route back.
The wireless computer on the Longstaff is about as usefull as t*ts on a fish & when I go back with the cardboard the computer will go in the skip also.
I reckon about 16 km ,defineatley(sp) 55 mins & really enjoyed the ride in this lovely weather.

GillP

« Reply #601 on: May 22, 2008, 01:01:44 pm »
I cut a couple of large cardboard boxes into strips & filled two large panniers to take them to the recycle place.
Deliberately chose the longer very hilly route outbound 'cause I need the practice.
When I got there the place is closed today :(
Chose a slightly shorter less hilly route back.
The wireless computer on the Longstaff is about as usefull as t*ts on a fish & when I go back with the cardboard the computer will go in the skip also.
I reckon about 16 km ,defineatley(sp) 55 mins & really enjoyed the ride in this lovely weather.

Excellent news  :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #602 on: May 22, 2008, 01:07:04 pm »
Yet another run out today, the tan lines are coming on great guns...

24 miles in the glorious sun shine, with views to die for, just reminds me nicely why we moved back up here...

God I love North Yorkshire :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #603 on: May 22, 2008, 03:43:56 pm »
A very fine commute with pub & Fatters.

What else does one require?
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

cometworm

« Reply #604 on: May 22, 2008, 03:52:25 pm »

A long pootle around London Town, including an abortive trip to the climbing centre (not open) and some bike fettling for a budding cycle-commuter friend. I'm storing up cycle-karma and hoping this will magically fix the drivetrain issues my road bike is suffering from.

« Reply #605 on: May 22, 2008, 03:59:33 pm »
bike no, kayak yes had a nice paddle in the solent

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #606 on: May 22, 2008, 04:26:23 pm »
A potter up to Balham for a coffee, then Wandsworth Common for a pot of tea*, then home & put the kettle on...** :)

*  There's a theme emerging, I think
** Told ya! ;)
Getting there...

Dave

« Reply #607 on: May 22, 2008, 09:37:14 pm »
Someone at work said 'Do you ride a mountain bike as well as that bike you ride to work on, you weirdo? (they didn't actually say the 'weirdo' bit, but I could tell they were thinking it) You should try the bridleways around Barton Hills...'

So, a very enjoyable 30k, mostly off-road ride this evening. Even found a halfway decent pub half-way round (and just before a b'stard steep, gravelly climb, which I didn't manage to do. Grr. Next time...)

« Reply #608 on: May 22, 2008, 10:02:49 pm »
Yes.

Went to a meeting on Moor Lane in Derby. Rode there easy from Notts in about 1h. Had a long meeting there, then rode back first to Sawley then along the river from Sawley's marina. Flying along the gravel tracks on the laden Pompino (I had to take some files you see) at 18:30 was just great; it reminded me of rides I used to do on my cyclo-x. A great day at work!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #609 on: May 22, 2008, 10:05:53 pm »
Breaston chaingang again, 25 miles at 22mph ave, nice through and off, absolutely loved it.

« Reply #610 on: May 22, 2008, 10:08:57 pm »
Breaston chaingang again, 25 miles at 22mph ave, nice through and off, absolutely loved it.

:thumbsup: I think I was bit slower at the same time...  ;D

Takes note: Must find the time. Really must.

« Reply #611 on: May 23, 2008, 09:03:12 pm »

[/quote]

:thumbsup: I think I was bit slower at the same time...  ;D

Takes note: Must find the time. Really must.
At that speed you should only need to find an hour and five minutes.... I ought to as well, although the Beeston road club ride is rather more relaxed, I went to ride their 10TT on Tuesday night, 6 riders there, none from the club, and no timekeeper, nice 2 hours out around the back of Keyworth, today I rode around Stanton Dale 16 miles before breakfast, tomorrow off to Scotland for a camping holiday.

« Reply #612 on: May 24, 2008, 01:06:41 pm »
The problem for me is getting there at 18:30... At that time I am often just about leaving the office.  :-[

« Reply #613 on: May 24, 2008, 06:44:41 pm »
Yes. Another 90 miles.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #614 on: May 24, 2008, 06:46:44 pm »
No! Too bloody windy!!  :(
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

border-rider

« Reply #615 on: May 24, 2008, 06:49:42 pm »
First ride of the trike in the wind.  That was interesting :)

It's lost its near-fatal tank-slapper tendencies now I've tightened up the drive-side back axle bearings, which makes descents a whole lot more fun.

Martin

« Reply #616 on: May 24, 2008, 07:08:59 pm »
My brother's 50th so mo big rides but rode 114km inc Pebble Hill and through West London to his house; quite hard. And of course he wanted to go for a 25 mile pre-pub hilly spin when we got there.

Barbie is smelling good  :P

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #617 on: May 24, 2008, 07:12:20 pm »
A  quick 30 miles through North Surrey, coming home wasn't so much fun being blown about by the gusty wind.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #618 on: May 24, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »
I cheated.  Huge tailwind on the way out.  Then train home.

Only one near-death experience, when a car overtook on a very blind bend/summit just south of Newton Solney.  (That was on the bike bit, not the train.)

Obvious really; there's never been a railway in Newton Solney. ::-)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #619 on: May 24, 2008, 08:25:54 pm »
Twas a tad breezy out there. 90km circuit which was basically 40k into the wind and then 50 km gradually turning our backs on it so the last 25km was a fantastic. Took in a brief spell of spectating at the British climbing championships at South Blackpool, a nice tea stop at Scorton and then a great pint of Blonde Witch at the Windmill pub at Clifton before wizzing down the promenade through Lytham and St. Annes. Lots of food has now been consumed and the wine is going down a treat. Could be in bed by 9pm at this rate.  ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #620 on: May 24, 2008, 10:08:55 pm »
Not on bikes but watching them. This weekend is the only fully amateur stage race in Scotland organised by the Dundee Thistle.

The mornign was a prologue up the Law, and the afternoon was a mostly flat stage (4.5 laps of a flattish circuit) in gorgeous countryside and weather, with an uphill finish.

Piccies here and here

Tomorrow is the second stage and it is much hillier

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #621 on: May 24, 2008, 10:40:20 pm »
50 miles on the anthrotech trike from slough to leatherhead and back  :). the ride down the towpath from staines to chertsey bridge was idyllic  :thumbsup:. hard work into the wind though.
the slower you go the more you see

Maladict

« Reply #622 on: May 24, 2008, 10:53:27 pm »
210km audax in the wind.  Despite the conditions, my fastest 200k by some margin (about 50 mins faster per 200km).

« Reply #623 on: May 25, 2008, 07:50:25 am »
107k yesterday around the 'Tour of East Lothian' route generally experienced on a bitter February day.

Yesterday was colder by far than the unofficial run staged in Feb this year.  This easterly wind has been blowing here in Embra for the last month and is making me feel a bit odd.  I'm expecting at least a flight of Mary Poppins' to arrive any time now.

Still, a grovel up to the top of Redstone Rigg with the last gasp of mortality seemingly clasped to my bosum was followed by lunch in sunny Dunbar and a wind-assisted blast home.

« Reply #624 on: May 25, 2008, 11:05:39 am »
150 km yesterday on the Tour of Wessex stage 1 - Great ride despite strong NE wind -
Castle Cary, Alfreds Tower, Bruton, Wells, Burrington Combe, down Cheddar Gorge,
Wedmore ,Glastonbury and back to Castle Cary.