Author Topic: **New** Permanent events  (Read 7957 times)

**New** Permanent events
« on: 23 October, 2008, 09:28:58 pm »
There have been a few added recently.  :thumbsup:

I was wondering if it may be worthwhile if they could be indicated by way of "N" next to them, maybe even if only for a month or two?  I could just contact John Ward and suggest it but was wondering if it's just me or would others find it helpful....there are 416 listed (one more than 2 days ago) and I'm buggered if I can spot a new one amongst all that!  ;D

chris

• (aka chris)
Re: **New** Permanent events
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2008, 09:30:40 pm »
There have been a few added recently.  :thumbsup:

I was wondering if it may be worthwhile if they could be indicated by way of "N" to them, maybe even if only for a month or two?  I could just contact John Ward and suggest it but was wondering if it's just me or would others find it helpful....there are 416 listed (one more than 2 days ago) and I'm buggered if I can spot a new one amongst all that!  ;D

Have you tried ticking the box marked updates in the calendar, then clicking show?

« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2008, 09:44:33 pm »
Have you tried ticking the box marked updates in the calendar, then clicking show?

Have you? :)

( That box doesn't appear once you've selected Permanents on the left hand side. It only works for calendar events not perms. )
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:03:21 pm »
Have you? :)

Obviously not. I should have read the original post more carefully.

« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2008, 09:43:21 am »
Ignorant question while this subject is top of the pile.

How does one get to view the route (or even the starting point) of any of the listed perms if such info is not displayed on the front page or the page behind?  Or is it a secret and you have to enter the thing before deciding that you can / are prepared to reach a starting point on it?

I've idly scanned the list from time to time in a " I wonder whether there any that are easily reachable from Edinburgh" type manner.  Then I've given up (perhaps too easily...)

ta

dehomag

« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2008, 09:47:24 am »
Ignorant question while this subject is top of the pile.

How does one get to view the route (or even the starting point) of any of the listed perms if such info is not displayed on the front page or the page behind?  Or is it a secret and you have to enter the thing before deciding that you can / are prepared to reach a starting point on it?

I've idly scanned the list from time to time in a " I wonder whether there any that are easily reachable from Edinburgh" type manner.  Then I've given up (perhaps too easily...)

ta

Good question. One that I have asked before not in this context and been told to enter the rides to find out ! YOu;ll probably notice that some perms are very non descript e.g. North East Tour  WTF ?

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:33:26 am »
You can email/write to the organiser and ask them.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:38:05 am »

Whilst that is true, it would be nice if the Perm list was a wee bit more descriptive...

« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:41:11 am »
Maybe they like receiving post/emails?

Creaky Knees

« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2008, 11:49:34 am »
It probably will be as time goes on but everything being online is a relatively recent thing and organisers have very variable skills/interest in computers. 8)

If there's a phone number/e-mail address(sometimes in the hardcopy calendar if not in the website perm list if they are also a calendar event organiser) just give them a ring.Most audaxers will be happy to tell you about their favourite route that they have made into a permanent so everyone can enjoy it. Otherwise as already stated a good old fashioned letter with an SAE should get a good response.

Alternatively isn't a bit of mystery about where you'll end up one of the things that makes Audax so magical? ;D

Whilst that is true, it would be nice if the Perm list was a wee bit more descriptive...

« Reply #10 on: 24 October, 2008, 12:15:31 pm »

Alternatively isn't a bit of mystery about where you'll end up one of the things that makes Audax so magical? ;D

Mystery, along with Romance and Beer are indeed the spices of life.  But knowing what part of the world the route is in is what I'd like to know! 

I absolutely appreciate that this is a relatively new feature, and it's certainly one that I'd be keen to see expanded a bit - it's very difficult to juggle family diary /children/work/weather/fitness and location, thus making a lot of the calendar events difficult to even consider, so permanants are the way forward from my perspective.
 :thumbsup:

Creaky Knees

« Reply #11 on: 24 October, 2008, 01:28:11 pm »
Agreed,looking at the perms listings perhaps 'start point' is something that could be added to all set route permanents to let people know if it's going to be viable to get to.Maybe drop a line to John Ward with a request.

As far as Edinburgh permanents go I think there are only Mark Shannon's routes that leave from Edinburgh area.(someone shout up if you know better)

There aren't a huge number of Scottish permanents full stop(we could do with some more) which I think is one reason the DIY permanents have become very popular as these can start from as near to your house as you can get a control and be as short or long as you like.

Graham Hines runs the Northern Climes mesh permanents which take in the southern part of Scotland although they don't have a detailed routesheet do provide you with a mesh of distances between controls to help you make up your own route.

Hope this helps a bit. :thumbsup:

Mystery, along with Romance and Beer are indeed the spices of life.  But knowing what part of the world the route is in is what I'd like to know! 

I absolutely appreciate that this is a relatively new feature, and it's certainly one that I'd be keen to see expanded a bit - it's very difficult to juggle family diary /children/work/weather/fitness and location, thus making a lot of the calendar events difficult to even consider, so permanants are the way forward from my perspective.

« Reply #12 on: 24 October, 2008, 02:38:58 pm »
Agreed,looking at the perms listings perhaps 'start point' is something that could be added to all set route permanents to let people know if it's going to be viable to get to.Maybe drop a line to John Ward with a request.

As far as Edinburgh permanents go I think there are only Mark Shannon's routes that leave from Edinburgh area.(someone shout up if you know better)

There aren't a huge number of Scottish permanents full stop(we could do with some more)

Hope this helps a bit. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the info, and good shout re starting point  - point 1 above would have allowed me to know point 2 also, and would inform about geographic area for reasonable length rides.
 I shall follow your advice re request to JW also.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 24 October, 2008, 02:49:53 pm »
The 'New' bit has already been added, so no need to bother JW with that.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Creaky Knees

« Reply #14 on: 24 October, 2008, 03:21:21 pm »
As if by magic :-*

« Reply #15 on: 24 October, 2008, 04:36:51 pm »

Thanks.

« Reply #16 on: 24 October, 2008, 06:39:10 pm »
I'm quite happy for riders of my permanents to start/finish at any control point on the route.  I know other orgs. also allow this, but maybe not all.

For example, Preston Edinburgh Preston 600 has been done many times as E P E.

« Reply #17 on: 24 October, 2008, 06:43:19 pm »
I'd be very willing to field a few new permanent events based on my audax series. But the current regulations make this an awkward process. Since I'm an overseas AUK I need to work through an AUK living in the UK. Finding a suitable person is not the hardest work but this just adds extra work and slows procedures down :(

« Reply #18 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:17:05 pm »

For example, Preston Edinburgh Preston 600 has been done many times as E P E.

I guess that about 40% of the rides actually give a clue in the name - and when I can get my brain and legs around a 600 I'll give it a go!  Some more of them also give bigger clues in the info that accompanies the entry.  Perhaps i'm just a lazy sod.

Creaky Knees

« Reply #19 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:24:37 pm »
Where do your routes go Ivo?

I'd be very willing to field a few new permanent events based on my audax series. But the current regulations make this an awkward process. Since I'm an overseas AUK I need to work through an AUK living in the UK. Finding a suitable person is not the hardest work but this just adds extra work and slows procedures down :(

Creaky Knees

« Reply #20 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:28:52 pm »
Still,there's always room for improvements so that more people can do some permanents :)

I guess that about 40% of the rides actually give a clue in the name - and when I can get my brain and legs around a 600 I'll give it a go!  Some more of them also give bigger clues in the info that accompanies the entry.  Perhaps i'm just a lazy sod.

« Reply #21 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »
Mine should all give a link to the website where there be routesheets and stuff.

« Reply #22 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:55:34 pm »
As a slight aside, I think Perms are fantastic.  I am new to audax and not aware of 'life before Perms' but love the freedom to ride routes when I can fit them in.  I've not managed many this year due to various ailments and other stuff going on but knowing I can ride an event at any time of my choosing is great  :thumbsup: 

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #23 on: 24 October, 2008, 09:41:34 pm »
I too can vouch for perms.  I wouldn't have managed to get my SR without the ability to do a ride at a suitable time.  The combination of perms and yACF is wonderful.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #24 on: 24 October, 2008, 09:50:22 pm »
I've done a few permanents myself this year, mostly DIY flavoured.
Would it be such a big job for "someone" to update the info on the website to show basic info on the proper perms, even if it's just roughly where they start from, or what area of the country they are in, although a list of controls would be most helpful.
I'm only saying.  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.