Author Topic: Soto Lighter and Soto Muka Stove  (Read 2578 times)

Soto Lighter and Soto Muka Stove
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:46:49 am »
If lighting up the stove, especially a multi fuel one running a liquid fuel gives you the willies, then you might like to see this. A lighter, with a difference, from Soto.

and with the nozzle extended

As you can see there is a little window on the side so that you can gauge the fuel level (gas), and it seems to hold a very reasonable amount, (it arrives empty in the post obviously). I used it for the first time “in the field” when I went out on the bike for a night under the stars. Unfortunately there was no wind, perfect cycling weather, but just the weather to bring out the midges. There must be about a billion of them in Shetland, but fortunately only half of their population were swarming around my head every time that I came to a halt. I found the track that would take me across the hill to the beach on the other side, where I planned to spend the night. The sun was dropping behind the hills as I found myself trying to manhandle a loaded bike through gateways that had been used for cattle and were therefore very wet and muddy, The track petered out and I began to realise that I was probably going in the wrong direction so I turned about and put myself through the same trial again. I took the other track at the fork, but with the failing light I was unlikely to find my way. I was without map and compass so I had to bite the bullet, turn around and head back home.

Within a mile or so I came back to the bridge that joined a couple of islands, allowing people to live out here without needing boats. There was a useful small wall so I got the Soto Muka stove out and set it up. The Soto doesn’t require the same priming ritual as any of my other multi fuel stoves, but you have to pump it for all you are worth to get the pressure into it. Without the palaver of Pudding Lane type flaming the Soto was soon kicking out a decent flame, a few more pumps and the water was in the Terra Weekend HE pot and very quickly boiling vigorously. I was walking around in circles trying to avoid the midges, the spray-on midge spray bought at great cost from the local shop having turned out to be as useful as Piers Morgan.

If you don’t want to simmer with any finesse then the Soto Muka makes a great stove and their lighter is also of the same high quality and excellent design. If you want a stove that seems to have few rivals at pure heat output in a very light and small package then you won’t go far wrong with the Soto Muka.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Soto Lighter and Soto Muka Stove
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:38:22 pm »
I like the lighter.  I have long thin regular kitchen gas lighters, but this may be more convenient for the pannier.

Stove looks quite pricey, and people know I love our Primus, even though it's as subtle as a Vulcan on afterburner.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:55:01 am »
It's a quality bit of kit, and being able to lock it out means that the gas is not getting accidentally released as you ride along.  Well, not from the lighter at least.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:58:26 pm »
The Soto Muka stove is petrol only, not multi fuel.
Try to use paraffin (aka kerosene), diesel or white spirit, and with no priming you'll fail to get it started.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 04:23:10 pm »
I run mine on panel wipe and it runs fine.