Author Topic: Asthma, persistent cough and repeating colds?  (Read 6206 times)

Asthma, persistent cough and repeating colds?
« on: 04 December, 2016, 10:06:46 pm »
Basically I'm sick of coughing and getting colds. I think I've had a type of cold, one after the other, since possibly September. This past week I've quite possibly used half a salbutamol/Ventolin inhaler to ease tight chest with rattly/Christy cough. I don't know what is happening. I've never been this bad before. I cycle two half hour commutes each weekday. I'm basically reasonably fit too. Any ideas what's happening?

Background info, I suffered with tight cheat at night and coughing fits about 15 minutes after getting to work. The GP said asthma and gave me the inhaler. I didn't use it much then but this year I've nearly emptied it. BTW last year I saw the GP in Autumn after the first spell of cold weather. That was when it got bad enough to force me to the GP. It's now Autumn/winter so similar time of year.

Two questions, should I go to my GP? How should I approach the GP with this?

I'm useless at the GP. I can't deal with them at all.

I'm thinking of asking for a review of meds, is the inhaler best option? Do I really have asthma? Why do I have coughing fits? I never noticed that I cough too much but work colleagues have told me I cough all the time. I've always coughed badly on getting out of bed, significant change in temperatures and getting to work. I've only noticed the get out of bed coughs before. I've worked in offices but spent a lot of time in manufacturing supplier which is a dusty place (fibre dust) which kind of worries me.

So should I worry? Should I visit GP? How should I approach the GP?p

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: Asthma, persistent cough and repeating colds?
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2016, 10:08:37 pm »
Print this out and give it to your GP. Definitely worth being checked out.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2016, 12:16:28 am »
You should see your doctor. Describe when you are wheezy and its relation to cold/exertion/any other provocation.

There are several sorts of inhaler; some are described as 'reliever', like salbutamol/Ventolin (typically blue) and some are described as 'preventer' - usually steroids and typically brown.

You might need a preventer inhaler.
Your doctor might suggest you take a short course of steroid tablets.
Your doctor might suggest you have a Peak Flow meter to measure obstruction in your airways. Peak Flow is not the whole story (ask clarion!) but can be helpful in some cases.

See your doctor.
Get Well Soon!

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2016, 08:19:53 am »
What about the coughing? This time I think it's a viral, chest thing, not quite bronchitis. Not so the rest of the tune, most of my coughing is when healthy just irst thing in the morning, after exercise or when exposed to changes in air temperature especially warm to cold.

All things to ask the GP. Just don't think I'll get enough time with her. Good GP but impossible to get to see at times. Late evenings or early mornings (up to 6pm or from 8am on two years days only) appointments are impossible to get unless 2, 3 or 4 weeks notice is given. One 10 minute appointment is possible but unless you lay it on thick to the gatekeeper (receptionist to whom you must tell everything like an I untrained triage nurse).

Sorry if that sounds like a rant it's just that our practise merged with another 12 years ago and they've been degrading services at our branch (designated satellite branch only) since then. One other practise and that's got very bad reputation except for one senior GP who is part time and a 4 week waiting list.

Oh well, I will have to use.the system, such as we have, unless I can get a forum diagnosis of course! ;) :o :)

ian

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2016, 11:36:49 am »
Cough is a common symptom of asthma. As others say, brave your GP, they'll be very familiar with the symptoms and treatments for asthma. I get a burst of wheeziness every autumn, presumably as the weather turns cold and damp. It usually clears on its own after a couple of weeks, if not, a short course of beclomethasone does the trick.

« Reply #5 on: 05 December, 2016, 11:45:48 am »
 Becla... What's that? Steroid preventer? What effect do these steroids have? Do I need a TUE? That last one was a joke BTW!

I've heard of one steroid making your face appear more round. Taken for asthma related condition.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 05 December, 2016, 12:05:58 pm »
It's a corticosteroid used as an asthma preventer. As it's inhaled the side-effects are minimised (compared to pills which will have systemic effects). It's a common treatment with minimal side-effects. It's important to control the symptoms of asthma rather than just rely on salbutamol as that doesn't address the underlying inflammation and long term inflammation can cause other problems (including chronic lung damage). Sometimes, getting the asthma under control means you can taper off the dose once the inflammation has settled.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 05 December, 2016, 12:08:38 pm »
Steroids are prescribed as both tablets and 'preventer' inhalers for asthma.

The inhalers give smaller doses, targeted to the site of trouble and are less likely to cause round faces etc, but it still happens.

As with much in medicine, it's a matter of trading symptom relief with adverse effects. This can be a fine tightrope to walk.

« Reply #8 on: 05 December, 2016, 12:28:02 pm »
Yes, what Helly and Ian said. I dislike taking inhaled steroids as I get side effects but without them I can't breathe. I know what's more important. :) I hope the GP can sort you out quickly. Good luck!

« Reply #9 on: 05 December, 2016, 01:09:27 pm »
Well it's still to be seen whether I get an appointment before my bad spell ends. It's not easy getting an appointment at a reasonable time unless an emergency appointment. This isn't and if my symptoms improve I know I'll cancel the appointment anyway. It does seem to be easing, bloody typical! I struggle through then only decide i need help just as I'm getting over the bad spell. My bad relationship with my own health and the NHS.

Reckon I should still see the GP in case there's another bad spell. Do they prescribe preventers for future attacks?

« Reply #10 on: 05 December, 2016, 01:14:02 pm »
I used to get a lot of exercise induced asthma when cycling in winter with the colder air. Since using a brown preventer (clenil modulite 100mcg) during the colder months I can cycle as much as I like, and rarely need to use a  blue reliever (Salbutamol 100mcg).

When I do get colds/coughs it is easier to clear my chest. I have not noticed any adverse side effects.

Definitely persevere with seeing a sympathetic GP to discuss this with.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 05 December, 2016, 01:16:09 pm »
Yes and they might consider whether you you should take a preventer long term, not just when you're feeling bad.
That's what preventers are for. Preventing attacks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 05 December, 2016, 01:34:13 pm »
It's a corticosteroid used as an asthma preventer. As it's inhaled the side-effects are minimised (compared to pills which will have systemic effects). It's a common treatment with minimal side-effects. It's important to control the symptoms of asthma rather than just rely on salbutamol as that doesn't address the underlying inflammation and long term inflammation can cause other problems (including chronic lung damage). Sometimes, getting the asthma under control means you can taper off the dose once the inflammation has settled.

Indeed.  I've been taking beclometasone inhalers on and off (I tend not to bother in the winter when my asthma's less bad, unless I've got lurgy) for most of my life (since sodium cromoglicate was deprecated in the late 80s).  The only side-effect I've had is an instant cough reaction to the second puff if I don't take a couple of lungfuls of air between it and the first (this appears to be a reaction to the current solvent/propellant, it never used to happen).  Some people get oral thrush, but there are things that can be done to avoid it (water, spacers, alternative preventer drugs).

« Reply #13 on: 05 December, 2016, 01:47:53 pm »
My partner was put on tablet steroids and A/Bs. I seem to be following her through the cold or lurgy cycles. Of course my versions of her lurgy isn't as bad.

BTW I've never had asthma as a kid and I possibly only got my first symptoms in my 40s. Is this unusual? Reason I ask is because I often think that unusual in medicine for me means wrong diagnosis.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
Many people develop asthma in middle age. Sometimes this happens after a chest infection.

« Reply #15 on: 05 December, 2016, 01:51:42 pm »
I had a really bad run last autumn/early winter. I have just recovered from the worst bronchial chest infection I've known. I am reasonably fit too. I work outside as a gardener and I lost 6 days of paid work. Not good at this time of year. An asthmatic client suggested the flu jab. He hasn't had a bad chest for 5 years. Cold yes, but the infection didn't get to his chest.

I took the plunge this morning on the way to work and had it done at a local pharmacy. £9 to me is worth the punt. I hope you get well.

« Reply #16 on: 05 December, 2016, 01:53:57 pm »
Thanks everyone. I know you shouldn't rely on internet medical advice but it's often good to get confirmation of what you know you should do. Sprinkle in a few medics and people with similar situations and your confidence in approaching the GP increases.

thank you for your advice, I found it encouraging. Will book appointment asap.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 05 December, 2016, 01:58:24 pm »
Good stuff!
Advising over the web is potentially unsafe, as you will appreciate.
Sharing knowledge/explaining seems fair game to me.

Hope your forthcoming appointment is timely, pleasant and productive!

« Reply #18 on: 05 December, 2016, 09:41:36 pm »
men are very bad generally at going to the doctor as we do not generally talk about ourselves.

I always advise people to keep a diary.  Document when your chest feels tight.  If you wheeze at certain times of day document that and then on your phone do a sound memo of your wheezing to let the doctor hear.

asthma cough is often an unproductive cough which makes you feel something is deep in your lungs but does not want to come out.  sounds like a clearing of the throat on a regular basis. You probably do it automatically without thinking.

For many people autumn is a bad time.  Not sure if it is increased central heating or more cold and damp.  We work hard on minimising treatment for my wife's asthma so most of the year she only needs one steroid puff a day but in the autumn it goes up quickly to 2 a day and then for a few weeks 2 puffs twice a day and then we try to cut it back.  Become an expert patient and get on a medical school training scheme or apply for a drug trial.  You will always get better care in a drug trial than in routine clinics.

good luck

« Reply #19 on: 05 December, 2016, 10:00:39 pm »
Unproductive cough! That describes the cough well. Like phlegm down the throat but you just can't quite reach it with a cough. If you get a bit up it's clear or a light colour. Sorry about being gross.

It's like this with both my partner and I. Always Autumn and it seems to be bad in two places. At home in the evening it builds steadily through the evening. Then for me at work on arrival. We're kind of worried there's something in the house or surrounding area. We both get bad hayfever in summer which lessens when we're away from home but as soon as we get closer to home we both get itchy eyes and other allergy.

« Reply #20 on: 06 December, 2016, 07:32:58 am »
Sounds like post nasal drip. My wife has the chronic version of this and it has triggered her asthma. She initially tested negative for asthma on the peak-flow meter and it took 3 ambulance visits before I made the connection between ventolin (making it go away) and asthma.  You should go to the doctor as it can make any mild asthma much worse or as in the case of my wife, cause near chronic bronchitis.
Daily nasal rinse can keep it in check, (along with asthma meds), but from time to time she needs a short course of steroids.

Things you can do to help is:
- Daily nasal rinse
- Saltwater gargles.
- See a doctor.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:06:04 am »
Lots of people at work seem to be suffering from something similar this winter.  I've not been 100% either - although my symptoms are not severe.  An explanation I recieved when I had a similar bad run a few years back, was that the cold virus doesn't always go completely but hangs out as a low level infection, so that your body keeps battling, producing catarrh that irritates the throat, triggering asthma and chest problems.  This particular season's strain of colds seems to be affecting more people in this way. 

One thing that has helped me is to boil a saucepan of water, take if off the heat, and inhale the steam with a towel over my head.  This loosens the mucus and helps kill bacteria that might take a hold and worsen the situation.  Apologies if you've already tried this.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Chris S

« Reply #22 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:33:39 am »
May or may not be related in any way, but we've had some pretty awful air quality recently - looks like it should clear during the second half of this week.

« Reply #23 on: 06 December, 2016, 08:46:27 pm »
My partner got over her attack but it took ABs and steroids (6 tablets a day! ). She reckons mine isn't as bad but is going on a long time so I need to see the doctor.

As far as pollution goes my partner thinks I should get a pollution mask for commuting. That was before this attack got bad. I'm tempted to try to see if it helps. That and asthma drugs. BTW my ventolin is nearly out so I'll need a doctor's appointment to get it replaced. It was only a trial prescription so not on repeat.

Aaargh! I hate being ill and having this cough feels not like being ill (I'm fit and healthy) more like my body isn't behaving itself. Not ill but not right neither.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:11:10 pm »
As far as pollution goes my partner thinks I should get a pollution mask for commuting.

Any mask that you can breath through sufficiently well to cycle with using your own lung power is unlikely to do much for the pollutants involved.  They go straight through filters that are designed to trap dust/germs.  One that actually works probably involves a pump or air cylinder and is unlikely to be practical on a bike.

There may be some scope for reducing exposure through careful choice of route.