Author Topic: Training for health, fitness and well-being?  (Read 3056 times)

Training for health, fitness and well-being?
« on: 28 December, 2016, 04:38:19 pm »
So there's lots around on training on the other sub-forum about further and faster. There's a lot on specific health aspects on here such as recovery from injury or surgery. As a normal Joe with no sporting aspirations or injuries to recover from my requirements are different. Advice is requested on training for improving the quality of life.

By this i mean strength training to prevent niggles and pains. CV training to enable me to enjoy my cycling more. Weight is not an issue, bulking up is definitely not required or wanted and I'm not too bothered if I'm racking up KOMs or high up segment leaderboards.

For example I've been getting back aches a lot. I know i need to strengthen my back but without gym equipment I don't know how.

Two key aspects I'm looking at. First up strength training to balance out my cycling. I'm kind of wanting to exercise to counter the effects of any imbalances caused by the specific strength training results from cycling.

Secondly I'm looking at convenient and home based CV training. I'm considering a Halfords tacx flow smart turbo trainer. Cycling specific so i need first point sorting out.

So with these two goals in mind, what home equipment is most cost effective? Low cost and bulk. Also, perhaps more important, I really need some source of home training exercises and information. Any books to get? Any equipment that is really a must have? I'm thinking simple weights to enhance body weight training exercises such as lunges.

Any advice? Please note this is to maintain a viable and consistently healthy lifestyle. Any training needs to be easily fitted into busy lifestyles.

Re: Training for health, fitness and well-being?
« Reply #1 on: 28 December, 2016, 07:49:14 pm »
I shall be following this thread with great interest, as what you describe sounds like it would be useful for me!  :thumbsup:
In terms of strengthening the back, the more effective exercise I've found in the past has been the "plank". This has the advantage of requiring no equipment at all as well!  :) I'm sure if you google it you'll find many explanations better than I could provide!
Cheers
Duncan

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2016, 08:07:22 pm »
I think what you describe is totally sensible in terms of *preventing* problems, but if you have existing back pain it is worth getting checked out properly by an expert now. Good luck :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2016, 08:08:21 pm »
Used to do the plank with the legs on a balance ball when I used to go to the gym. Also the side plank. That variation of the plank and the side plank are very hard exercises.

If I was still going to the gym I'd use the freedom trainer. It's a resistance machine that's originally used for rehabilitation I think. The pulley weight system runs through moveable arms that can be raised and moved around. I used it with a twisting motion that uses arms and core to lift the weight. Sat on an exercise ball whilst doing it really works your whole core. Best upper body workout equipment I've ever used.

« Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2016, 08:13:20 pm »
Back ache is more short term twinges and nothing serious. I've had back ache before worthy of a GP visit but what i get now is more a kind of stiffness. Sitting awkwardly or other minor cause. Even long journeys you can get stiff back and shoulders. I never got that when i went to the gym regularly.

My partner and me both get this effect due to not enough of a varied exercise regime. It's the result of reaching 40 i guess.

« Reply #5 on: 28 December, 2016, 08:23:08 pm »
I have a pair of 5kg hand weights, that I use along with a series of body weight exercises.  I find that these keep me in a much better bodily condition when I am doing them.  and I do eventually notice when I stop.  Like you I am already big enough, so I use high reps of lower weight.  5kg is the max that I use.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2016, 05:53:12 am »
Do you have access to a gym, more specifically a barbell? It's the simplest and easiest way to increase functional strength.
I started lifting/doing HIIT when I hit 40 and within 6 months, 20 years of back-issues virtually disappeared and my overall health become much better.
Blood pressure, which was creeping up and needed drugs to be managed went back to normal within the same period, much to my doctors amazement.
Sure, I also lost some weight, but most importantly, I felt much better. I stood taller, felt more stable, etc.

« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2016, 12:40:36 pm »
Planks are great.

I think workout routine with power bags/weighted bags are good for core strength. Plenty of info on youtube and general guides. I'll be digging mine out of the shed now my wrist/arm is up to it. They are very cheap compared to traditional weights and take up little room.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2016, 03:03:20 pm »
I could join the gym but I'm hoping to avoid. Save money in the long-term after a few basic kit purchases. I think we have skipping rope, balance ball and light dumbbells somewhere. The plan for a few years has been to buy a turbo. This year we are probably going to go ahead. The main thing is strength training. I don't know much about it other than using fancy gym kit. Googling for training exercises will give a lot of returns. Which exercise is worth doing? Is there a good book or website to refer to?

simonp

« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2016, 04:28:05 pm »
If by fancy gym kit you mean resistance machines - for the most part, these are not as effective for weight training as free weights used correctly. The majority of my gym work is based around dumbells and barbells. This requires a squat rack for some of the lifts though.

You can do a fair amount such as body weight squats without any kit. Correct form is key.

Chris Hoy: http://on.mhm.ag/2gP6zVD

"For me, I could do squats and nothing else. They're the king of exercises"

« Reply #10 on: 29 December, 2016, 04:41:38 pm »
Sorry people but planks have been replaced by Bearcrawls!

« Reply #11 on: 29 December, 2016, 06:22:39 pm »
Fancy equipment like freedom trainers which are resistance, pulley based weights machines but have a wide range of positions for the angle of pull. Each arm can be pulling from different angles for example.

This was useful for my canoeing days because it could be set up to allow stimulation of a paddling stroke. You can add in a rotational component and you really work The same muscles used in canoeing.

« Reply #12 on: 30 December, 2016, 01:10:09 pm »
I could join the gym but I'm hoping to avoid. Save money in the long-term after a few basic kit purchases. I think we have skipping rope, balance ball and light dumbbells somewhere. The plan for a few years has been to buy a turbo. This year we are probably going to go ahead. The main thing is strength training. I don't know much about it other than using fancy gym kit. Googling for training exercises will give a lot of returns. Which exercise is worth doing? Is there a good book or website to refer to?

This isn't bad
http://www.resultsconditioning.com/powerbag-complitation-video-workouts/
I paid £14 for a powerbag then bought some sacks of pebbles from B&Q to fill it (double-bag them).  The bag should be a bit saggy, the instability of the saggy bag helps work your core.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13 on: 01 January, 2017, 07:02:53 pm »
The heavy bags aren't a bad idea.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 02 January, 2017, 02:39:59 am »
Attempting useful CV workouts at home would bore or demotivate me, but that's personal.
Rapid walking, with or without weights of shopping would fit into most lifestyles, cost next to nothing and would be flexible. You could time yourself from a to b and see if you can improve this.
Walking spares the joints the impact of running.