Author Topic: Newport/Radway  (Read 1848 times)

Newport/Radway
« on: February 25, 2017, 09:15:23 am »
I'm looking forward to tomorrow's ride in the Newport 200,  The weather forecast is looking OK, certainly in comparison with some previous editions (2015 wasn't fun as I recall when a DNF and turn round at Radway Green seemed pertinent).  That's quite a tailwind blast kicking in at 15:00 which could be helpful for the return.

Re: Newport/Radway
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:28:55 am »
Well it's pretty poor up in The Lakes at present, so I'm looking forward to the balmy climes of Cheshire.  Only problem is that my laminator won't heat up properly - can you iron a routesheet I wonder?
Organising an October running of The Tour of Rheged from Witherslack Village Hall in S Lakes.  May Lakes audaxes should run in 2020.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:38:39 pm »
An all time great. No majestic mountain ranges or wild seascapes. Just quirky rural-England lanes (that always turn up just where needed) and Weather - there is always weather.
Many Thanks to Neil Shand for keeping it going.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:29:54 pm »
As Uncle Peter was going over to help, I tagged along, eager to experience the arrivée. Having never knowingly met a bunch of audaxers I wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised to meet so many happy people who universally seemed to have enjoyed a day's cycling.

Such a refreshing change to meet a bunch of bike riders utterly unconcerned with Strava/PBs/KoMs and other such bullshit.

I can see now how audax gets under your skin. Actually I wouldn't mind having a go mesen . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:41:16 pm »
I did the precursor to this ride (Cheshire/Shropshire 200) some 22 years ago on a very new bike (8 miles on the computer at the start).

I had a perfect day's cycling in wall-to-wall sunshine, after some early frost.

Happy days!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:46:50 am »
I did the precursor to this ride (Cheshire/Shropshire 200) some 22 years ago ...

Me too!  Thanks to Sheila Simpson for starting up the Peak Audax rides all those years ago.  Actually, that ride was probably the precursor to the Chirk 200, which crops up in March.

In those far off days, the Newport 200 had a control at the Shell petrol station, as nothing was open on a Sunday.  Nothing.  At least, nowhere that would welcome a couple of dozen cyclists.  These days, the up-side of Sunday Trading is that the 100 or so cyclists have a choice of Waitrose, Costa, Subway, Aunt Sal's Café, and a garden centre.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 12:04:02 pm »
I did the precursor to this ride (Cheshire/Shropshire 200) some 22 years ago ...
Me too!  Thanks to Sheila Simpson for starting up the Peak Audax rides all those years ago.  Actually, that ride was probably the precursor to the Chirk 200, which crops up in March.

I suppose so but it was Sunday 26 February, like this year...

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 04:21:23 pm »

I suppose so but it was Sunday 26 February, like this year...

Yes, 1995.  Can it really be that long ago?  Yes!  And I still remember it as if it were yesterday.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 11:39:23 am »
I rode the Newport 200 yesterday with Terry on a cold but dry day.  I noticed a couple of oddities with the GPS files, taking us off route for just a few metres, but I've now corrected these.  You have no excuse for getting lost.

Well, perhaps you might; I've left "turn right at the Blue Bell signed Checkley" on the route sheet even though the Blue Bell Inn has turned into Blue Bell Close housing estate, but at least the Checkley signpost is still there.

We stopped at Waitrose Café in Newport for a small breakfast.  I always like to see the sign there "Carry to your car service", seeing that my car was 100km away in Cheadle.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 04:21:50 pm »
A slight change to the Newport 200 route sheet; there will be a controller waiting to stamp your Brevet Card at Newport, in the car park near to Waitrose.  Thanks to Ron Eaton's daughter, Sue, for volunteering for this.  After that you can take your lunch at any café, such as inside Waitrose, the Garden Centre, or at Costa on High Street.  I seem to remember that the Shell petrol station has a coffee machine.

We'll also have someone to stamp your cards at Radway Green - say hello to Terry.  There are cafes at Hall Farm Shop and the nearby Garden Centre, as wel as a coffee machine and hot food counter at Spar.