Author Topic: Asparagus & Strawberries - 3rd June  (Read 16729 times)

Hing

• fabulous follies
Re: Asparagus & Strawberries - 3rd June
« Reply #75 on: 07 June, 2017, 12:28:44 am »
You were lucky! My ride was uneventful until I turned off the main road to leave Sible Hedingham about 02:10 and a dark shape suddenly shot out of the darkness to my left and there was a great thump as we collided. I thought that I was going to be off but managed to stay upright and stop with my right foot on the far bank. Looking behind me I could see a badger lying motionless and silent in the road. I checked my bike and there was, unbelievably, no damage. The badger hadn't moved and I wasn't going anywhere near it to see if it was dead or merely stunned, so I pressed on. Yes, they are big and heavy.

Later riders including myself didn't notice anything, so the poor fella must have walked away.

They are the reason I am going for 28/24 spokes wheels, 24 front... also squirrels
weird and wonderful, fabulous folly

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #76 on: 07 June, 2017, 08:27:29 am »
You were lucky! My ride was uneventful until I turned off the main road to leave Sible Hedingham about 02:10 and a dark shape suddenly shot out of the darkness to my left and there was a great thump as we collided. I thought that I was going to be off but managed to stay upright and stop with my right foot on the far bank. Looking behind me I could see a badger lying motionless and silent in the road. I checked my bike and there was, unbelievably, no damage. The badger hadn't moved and I wasn't going anywhere near it to see if it was dead or merely stunned, so I pressed on. Yes, they are big and heavy.

Later riders including myself didn't notice anything, so the poor fella must have walked away.

They are the reason I am going for 28/24 spokes wheels, 24 front... also squirrels

You would have noticed him if he was still there as the lane wasn't wide. I'm very pleased to hear that he had moved on; he was still and silent when I left him so I expect he'll have had a bit of headache. The only trace on my bike was a single hair between the left-hand pedal and crank, which I consider to be a very lucky escape.

The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

« Reply #77 on: 08 June, 2017, 03:56:21 pm »
If anyone is interested a write up our experience on 1st 400km.

http://jbmoreton.uk/cycling/delayed-flights-drinking-sessions-and-a-faulty-connection/

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #78 on: 08 June, 2017, 04:23:40 pm »

http://jbmoreton.uk/cycling/delayed-flights-drinking-sessions-and-a-faulty-connection/
Excellent write up - I was the one you cycled with for the 1k, before you decided to crank up the pace, then admired the 'view' at Wells  :o :facepalm:
You both made excellent time considering the start you had - plus the training the night before.
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #79 on: 08 June, 2017, 04:39:52 pm »
 :thumbsup: Good write up :)...

For future ref, there's an Esso that would possibly be open in Sible Hedingham (we stopped at there for coffee last year when on a 24 hour pace)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #80 on: 08 June, 2017, 05:09:51 pm »

I enjoyed your write up, and well done for completing the ride despite the setbacks ... glad the 'joyriders' returned your bike!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #81 on: 08 June, 2017, 05:46:28 pm »

Excellent write up - I was the one you cycled with for the 1k, before you decided to crank up the pace, then admired the 'view' at Wells  :o :facepalm:
You both made excellent time considering the start you had - plus the training the night before.

Thanks YG, was a pleasure riding with you 😊 the view in Wells was mighty fine!

« Reply #82 on: 08 June, 2017, 05:47:48 pm »
Thanks all, it was really cathartic writing it. I wasnt in the best place mentally when I finished and the write up allowed me to remember the good bits not just the bad/pain lol

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #83 on: 08 June, 2017, 06:47:47 pm »
Yip, nice write up of the A&S 400. I've now missed the last two A&S rides, but I'll probably be back for 2018.

glad the 'joyriders' returned your bike!

I'm not convinced. Leave a Garmin switched on and with limited visibility to the sky (ie park under an awning or something) and you'll get a decent track as the device keeps thinking it's moved due to the poor satellite service. The track would suggest the joyridders had ridden straight across the roundabout and through the Travelodge. Hmm....
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #84 on: 08 June, 2017, 07:02:36 pm »
Yip, nice write up of the A&S 400. I've now missed the last two A&S rides, but I'll probably be back for 2018.

I'm not convinced. Leave a Garmin switched on and with limited visibility to the sky (ie park under an awning or something) and you'll get a decent track as the device keeps thinking it's moved due to the poor satellite service. The track would suggest the joyridders had ridden straight across the roundabout and through the Travelodge. Hmm....

Yep it was definitely the Garmin hunting for signal as it was in McDs with me the whole time. The joyriders was tongue in cheek 😉

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #85 on: 08 June, 2017, 07:13:38 pm »

From what I recall of the other specimens spending the night in the McDs, I'm not convinced there was anyone there that had advanced sufficiently up the evolutionary scale to be capable of riding a bike  :demon:

Yep it was definitely the Garmin hunting for signal as it was in McDs with me the whole time. The joyriders was tongue in cheek 😉
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #86 on: 08 June, 2017, 09:00:20 pm »
Haha there was a gene there somewhere, I think it was being shared by all of them.