Author Topic: Starting from scratch  (Read 19494 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Starting from scratch
« Reply #75 on: 06 August, 2017, 07:39:04 pm »

Spinning is good. My (very overweight & not terribly fit) brother said on our Belgian holiday this year that he doesn't understand how I can twiddle up hills. Then proceeds to complain about how much his knees hurt. Twiddling in smaller gears = less hurty knees = more aerobic exercise = better cardio endurance.
That's exactly what Lance said about spinning! I like Dorset Cereal Simply Nutty. Not too bad for sugar I don't think.
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #76 on: 06 August, 2017, 07:59:49 pm »
I miss the fun social rides we used to do - we used to go riding so often. I remember you being faster and lighter - but I also remember you having asthma attacks. I also remember that you've been through lots of life rubbish.

Seeing the photos you and mcshroom post from the touring holidays demonstrates you've got the cycling strength to tour effectively. What is it you want to achieve? Do you secretly want to do a 200? I think you recently missed out on a 200km ride due to faffing (is that the reason?) - come ride with me on the Humber 200 route check and let's get a DIY 200 under our belt. You can do this already. Anti-faff. Slow and steady!

Newtoncap tried a couple of years of being battered by the fast group in her local club - but also struggled to change body shape and speed. She nearly lost her love of cycling.

Do you reckon we could get the 200 in next week?
Milk please, no sugar.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #77 on: 06 August, 2017, 08:15:14 pm »

Spinning is good. My (very overweight & not terribly fit) brother said on our Belgian holiday this year that he doesn't understand how I can twiddle up hills. Then proceeds to complain about how much his knees hurt. Twiddling in smaller gears = less hurty knees = more aerobic exercise = better cardio endurance.
That's exactly what Lance said about spinning!

:o I don't summit as fast as Lance, just aim to a) get there eventually, b) without leaving any knee based pingfuckits on the road. ;)

Ruthie, I am *slow*, but I don't really care (<'winner' of the 1st lady over the line in this year's Huntly 200. Also the last person over the line.)

I'm (a little)faster and fitter than when I started cycling and happier to ride longer distances,though still at what most proper cyclists consider a pootle. I don't care.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 06 August, 2017, 08:55:52 pm »
I'm (a little)faster and fitter than when I started cycling and happier to ride longer distances,though still at what most proper cyclists consider a pootle. I don't care.

Seconded.  If I can get round a 200 in about 12 hours, I'm happy.  *sighs wistfully and makes note to stop having injuries and get some miles in*

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #79 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:49:11 pm »
I miss the fun social rides we used to do - we used to go riding so often. I remember you being faster and lighter - but I also remember you having asthma attacks. I also remember that you've been through lots of life rubbish.

Seeing the photos you and mcshroom post from the touring holidays demonstrates you've got the cycling strength to tour effectively. What is it you want to achieve? Do you secretly want to do a 200? I think you recently missed out on a 200km ride due to faffing (is that the reason?) - come ride with me on the Humber 200 route check and let's get a DIY 200 under our belt. You can do this already. Anti-faff. Slow and steady!

Newtoncap tried a couple of years of being battered by the fast group in her local club - but also struggled to change body shape and speed. She nearly lost her love of cycling.

Do you reckon we could get the 200 in next week?

I think I thought that was the plan. I'm wondering if I'll have sensation in my hands back by then - but I hope so. If not, we'll do something equally fun.

« Reply #80 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:52:47 pm »
Fun that doesn't involve hands.  Man, you just a mystic (or a contortionist).

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #81 on: 06 August, 2017, 10:05:40 pm »
Fun that doesn't involve hands.  Man, you just a mystic (or a contortionist).

Just like that. Not like that. Like that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #82 on: 06 August, 2017, 10:32:42 pm »
I've been riding bikes for ages, but I'm still not very good at it.  And I'm really quite fat, 13 stone and five foot 5 and a half.  I got myself a heart rate monitor and it's shown me that I never really get out of the 'pace' zone - so I'm slowly fat burning when I exercise but never going into the real effort zone.  I never go above about 150bpm.

Riding on holiday the last couple of weeks showed me that I can get up hills, even long ones, but not steep ones.  And I am slooooow when I climb hills.  Soooo sloooooow.

I'm going to be 50 in January and I don't want to get all stiff and be a fat old woman who has no energy and have to use a mobility scooter.

Where shall I start?

I won't read the other posts so my thoughts are independent.

1 - There's absolutely nothing wrong with exercising in the fat-burning zone, especially if you a overweight and new to it all.  In fact I'd recommend it.

2 - Steep hill-climbing is more related to Power:Weight than any other form of cycling.  You are currently experiencing a double whammy of problems, not much power and too much weight (and possibly low fitness, possibly not.)  Let's say you have great aerobic fitness and that it's simply Power:Weight.  You have 3 options:
  i. Increase your power.  (Hill-climbing repeat sessions, High-resistance SPIN class, Wattbike, Squats in the gym..etc)
  ii. Decrease your weight (5:2 diet works wonders, longer rides in fat-burning zone, say 2-3 hours where you are on the edge of being out of breath but can still chat)
  iii. A combination of the above..which is clearly the best method.

That's the bad news.

The Good News......  If you have low power and you are significant;y overweight then the potential gains you can make are huge and rewarding.  Every few pounds you lose, and every bit of power you gain, make for easier/quicker climbing.

Good luck (I'm on my own personal P:W improvement program at the moment, using 5:2 diet and Wattbike power classes)
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #83 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:24:52 pm »
It's well over a month since I started this thread. Blimey. Well, I'm down to 12 stone 4lbs now, having stopped eating between meals and cut out junk food. Having said that I've had takeaway a couple days f times and eaten some sweets and birthday cake. Not often thobut. I'm tracking my intake and calorie expenditure more closely, and I noticed how much physical work I do as part of my job. There's an awful lot of lifting, pushing, pulling, etc in the course of my day. I'm more motivated with the running and I have bailed on a 200km ride. I also missed a few club rides as I had to do church stuff. In a quiet week I go out 5 Orr 6 days out of 7, on top of working full time. It's too much and I can't fit the gym in. The interesting thing is being hungry between meals but not snacking. I actually think my body works better with rests from food during the day.
Milk please, no sugar.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #84 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:48:26 pm »
You are so much further down the road than 'scratch'. After our ride I have never - in all the time I've cycled with you - seen you climb as well as you did on the 200 we tried. So after 130km of riding, you throw yourself into one of the largest climbs in the Yorkshire Wolds - drop me and power on until you reach the top. Where-upon you throw up. Riding so hard, uphill, that you vomit ought to be an British Cycling badge you could buy.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #85 on: 23 August, 2017, 11:52:47 pm »
Wot graeme said,  plus I think trying to manage 5out 7 days is more than necessary. I think that 3 quality days are better than 5 exhausted workouts
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #86 on: 24 August, 2017, 12:27:24 am »
You are so much further down the road than 'scratch'. After our ride I have never - in all the time I've cycled with you - seen you climb as well as you did on the 200 we tried. So after 130km of riding, you throw yourself into one of the largest climbs in the Yorkshire Wolds - drop me and power on until you reach the top. Where-upon you throw up. Riding so hard, uphill, that you vomit ought to be an British Cycling badge you could buy.  :thumbsup:

Sounds like Chris Hoy to me. Bravo, Ruthie!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #87 on: 24 August, 2017, 09:13:33 am »

I've once ridden with Graeme. Dropping him after 130km is outstanding. Very impressed, by both the result and the effort you put in on the climb!

Well done Ruthie.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #88 on: 24 August, 2017, 09:59:45 am »
Wot graeme said,  plus I think trying to manage 5out 7 days is more than necessary. I think that 3 quality days are better than 5 exhausted workouts

I'm not working out 5 days out of 7 - I'm doing fellowship/God stuff.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #89 on: 24 August, 2017, 10:08:53 am »

I'm not working out 5 days out of 7 - I'm doing fellowship/God stuff.
Ah, I see.
So you are finding it difficult to find the time or the roundtuits to do the physical workouts as well as job + fellowship/God stuff?
I know that feeling.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #90 on: 26 August, 2017, 06:46:05 pm »
I'm more motivated with the running and I have bailed on a 200km ride.
Right, you mentioned elsethread "failing to become a randonneur". I'm not a runner and I'm not really much of a randonneur but it doesn't take a great deal of observation to see that plenty of randonneurs are fit and slim, but equally some are fat. Not just a little bit plump but proper fat, and not just any old randonneurs but the type of people Charlotte takes photos of as Some of the Hardest Riders in the World. Whereas I've never seen a runner who wasn't slim and muscular. So the obvious conclusion is that running has more fitness value than riding. Cycling, however, is more fun, and not only because of the cake stops.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #91 on: 28 August, 2017, 09:59:56 am »
Running, as the word implies, requires that you travel faster than walking. Cycling merely requires that you balance on a bike. Speed is immaterial.

If I walk somewhere with someone, we go at a fairly relaxed 3mph or so and we natter to one another without losing our breath. If I go cycling with someone, that becomes harder because their conversational pace is almost always faster than mine.  I have to work hard in order to keep up and they end up waiting at the top of hills.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #92 on: 29 August, 2017, 01:35:05 pm »
Lots of really good points have been made, so +1 to all those and just one other suggestion, go vegetarian or vegan.  By changing your diet you force yourself to consider what/when you are eating and can also rule out cheap and easy snacks.  This makes it possible to control your diet without it being all about control or a diet.
Keep up the good work!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #93 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:35:13 pm »

I went spinning tonight and thought I did quite well.

Until I got home and realised where I'd sweated on my gym trousers it looked like I'd wet myself. Not the best first impression to make on the gym bunnies. Ah, well.

The woman next to me kept farting   :hand:
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #94 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:58:44 pm »
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #95 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:14:57 pm »
I think that is one reason why people wear those super baggy basketball shorts over the top of gym/aerobics/yoga pants
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #96 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:26:55 pm »
This gym thing doesn't sound like much fun.  *avoids*

« Reply #97 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:32:06 am »
For spin classes, I just wear cycling shorts - it's never occurred to me to do anything else!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #98 on: 13 September, 2017, 04:54:32 pm »
Black shorts for me all the way!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #99 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:37:02 pm »
I think that is one reason why people wear those super baggy basketball shorts over the top of gym/aerobics/yoga pants

I don't! I wear my Max Wall-esque lycra yoga tights without any shame!  ;D I'm convinced they gave me Super Yoga Powers as well!  :thumbsup: