Author Topic: MSR Hubba NX 1 person tent with footprint  (Read 1604 times)

MSR Hubba NX 1 person tent with footprint
« on: August 20, 2017, 04:07:45 pm »
https://www.msrgear.com/tents/backpacking-tents/hubba-nx

I've used this tent for about 5 nights in the backcountry around here, so here's a few impressions.

It's reasonably light (1300 grams for the tent, 140 grams for the footprint, but the tent fabric and poles seem quite sturdy. The pole set uses metal hubs where the main pole joins the two secondary poles, so it should be reasonably durable. the pegs are sturdier than I'm used to seeing included with a new tent, which is nice. It's very easy to pitch, especially if you use the footprint. The inner tent is completely freestanding, which is nice for camping on uneven ground, and the fly requires one peg to stake out the vestibule. It's got a decent amount of headroom for me (175 cm), and the flat roofline means you can sleep in it facing either direction and have enough headroom when you sit up. It only has an inner pocket at one end, though, like most tents. It does have a few gear loops in the ceiling to hang lights, etc. from. The side opening stuff sack makes packing and unpacking the tent very quick and easy, and the compression straps on the stuff sack are a nice touch.

I haven't tried it in extreme conditions, but it appears to be at least as sturdy as any 3 season trekking tent. The rainfly comes a little further down on the tent than most ultralight tents, so it should do a better job of keeping blowing rain out of the tent. It came with one guy line on the door side, and attachments for two more guy lines on the other side. This was a little jarring after the 12 guy lines on my Hilleberg Soulo, but that's the difference between an ultralight 3 season tent and an extra sturdy 4 season tent.

All in all, the Hubba NX looks like an excellent lightweight 3 season cycle touring/trekking tent. I'll keep the Soulo for winter use and extreme conditions, but for more reasonable conditions this tent promises to do quite well.