Author Topic: Sea To Summit Comfort Plus Sleeping Pad with Jet Stream Pump Sack  (Read 325 times)

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/sleepingmats/series/?series=comfort-plus

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/sleepingmats/series/?series=accessories

I bought the Sea to Summit pad because I wanted something more compact than my Therma Rest Z Lite sleeping pad (accordion style closed cell foam pad), that would hopefully last a little longer than the Therma Rest inflatable pads that I've owned, both of which ended up springing leaks and delaminating. I was sold on the pump sack accessory after seeing it demonstrated and trying it out. I was also drawn to the dual-layer concept of the Comfort Plus pad, which offered the hope that I would still have some cushioning from one layer of the pad even if the other layer punctured. The dual layer concept also lets one inflate one layer of the pad firmly to stay off the cold ground, while inflating the other layer less firmly for a cushier feel. I kept both layers inflated firmly, but others may like a softer pad to sleep on.

The pad is excellent. It's very comfortable to sleep on, and inflates very quickly with the pump. I had both layers of the pad inflated quite firmly in <10 minutes with the pump. The material that the pad is made on seems quite sturdy, so hopefully punctures won't be an issue. As I expected, the pad rolls down very easily to a very compact size. This lets me use a smaller rucksack/backpack for trekking than when I used the Z-Lite pad, offsetting some of the extra weight of the Comfort Plus pad compared to the Z-Lite or any other foam  sleeping pad. The same benefit would apply to cycle touring, since most panniers won't easily accommodate a Z-Lite or other foam sleeping pad, and strapping a sleeping pad to a rack or outside the pannier is just as cumbersome as tying it to the outside of a rucksack.

The pad and the pump sack work very well together. The pump sack doubles as a stuff sack, and is a good size to pack the sleeping pad in when traveling. Using it to inflate the pad is easier than inflating the pad by mouth, and avoids the problem of blowing hot, moist air into the pad, which promotes mold growth inside the pad. Apparently mold inside the pad is what causes sleeping pads to lose their ability to hold air, so using the pump should extend the life of the pad.

Based on 3 nights in the backcountry, the pad and pump sack look like an excellent combination. I will probably keep my Z-Lite pad for times when reducing weight to an absolute minimum is my main priority, but I expect the Comfort Plus pad and the pump sack to replace the Z-Lite for most of my camping.