Author Topic: Padded cycling trousers that are semi respectable  (Read 4854 times)

Re: Padded cycling trousers that are semi respectable
« Reply #25 on: 01 November, 2023, 11:12:30 am »
Loads of choice from the MTB world, I have some casual looking cycling trousers from Altura, Castelli and Nukeproof.  They're all fine, look a bit like cycling kit, but not glaringly so.  Of the three, the Nukeproofs are my favorite, really thin and stretchy so I thought they'd wear out quickly, but are lasting well, not very warm though.  The Altura are Ok, though the waistband is a little odd.  The Castelli are a bit tight so I haven't worn them much, keep promising myself I'll lose enough weight for them to be a good fit...
I have some Endura chino type trousers, no better than other lightweight non cycling trousers in the same style, from the likes of Rohan and Craighoppers.  Rohan Trogging are really comfortable on the bike, a slightly smarter type of joggers, they used to make a winter version, that I've forgotten the name off, but it seems to have disappeared from the website.
I might have agreed with the idea of just wearing civvies for cycling, but I seem to have gone the other way and don't own any cycle clothing that I'm not happy wearing off the bike in most situations.

« Reply #26 on: 01 November, 2023, 12:05:45 pm »
Nukeproof will be going with the demise of Wiggle.

Maybe some bargains to be had?

Afasoas

« Reply #27 on: 01 November, 2023, 01:27:22 pm »
Nukeproof will be going with the demise of Wiggle.

Maybe some bargains to be had?

I did have a look after Paul H's suggestion ... a bit tricky in respect of stock/sizing.
I've got RockBros ones on the way - will see how they do.

« Reply #28 on: 01 November, 2023, 07:03:13 pm »
I agree with this.  In all my years of commuting I never wore padded shorts.  In fact, I rarely wore them for anything under 20 miles.
Another Brooks bum on a Brooks saddle.
Me too. I've typically been doing about ten miles a day commuting over many years. Never in padded shorts - for a long time, 5.5 miles each way in cycling gear but normal underwear, just changing clothes at the other end. Now, with no leg more than 3 miles, normal clothes all the way.

I've even occasionally ridden 40 miles back from London on a folder in normal clothes, just because it was a nice night and I felt like it.

And yes, Brooks saddles on some bikes, but not all :)

« Reply #29 on: 01 November, 2023, 08:04:41 pm »
I wear ordinary long trousers all year round for my hour long commute. I have a pair of overtrousers for heavy rain.

Afasoas

« Reply #30 on: 01 November, 2023, 08:35:50 pm »
It's not so much the padding.
Cycling in civvies desperately shortens the live of the trousers as they seem to wear out in the crotch / thigh areas.

« Reply #31 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:43:03 am »
I had a cunning plan to use the employer supplied workwear- we get shorts and cargo trousers which being an office bod I never use.

Sadly the hardwearing material was too hard wearing and I found myself slipping around all over the saddle- and they were unpleasantly too low at the back.
Back to the trusty overtrousers in winter (over my ordinary knickers) and shorts in summer- some Decathlon things.

« Reply #32 on: 02 November, 2023, 12:31:09 pm »
Funny this should have resurfaced as indo actually gets to cycle to work at the moment. Due to not being able to wear my uniform I'm currently cycling in a selection of upper wear depending on weather and visibility and a pair of karrimor tights over undercrackers

Might go into proper cycling tights when the weather cools off