Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 122938 times)

Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #675 on: 04 November, 2022, 02:07:09 pm »
I shall see you all tomorrow.  My plan, such as it is, is for a chilly and possibly damp and misty 06:15 start on a ECE leg before a warming second breakfast at ‘Spoons.

« Reply #676 on: 04 November, 2022, 03:52:11 pm »
Probably a bit late to make a difference now, but breaking new is the rail strike planned for tomorrow has been called off.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #677 on: 04 November, 2022, 04:48:07 pm »
Probably a bit late to make a difference now, but breaking new is the rail strike planned for tomorrow has been called off.
Spammed everyone with the news, thanks JL  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #678 on: 04 November, 2022, 05:05:20 pm »

But extensive rail disruption is expected tomorrow due to the late calling off of the strike action...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #679 on: 04 November, 2022, 05:09:00 pm »

But extensive rail disruption is expected tomorrow due to the late calling off of the strike action...
True, and I included that warning by referencing the BBC website and advice to check that services were running

« Reply #680 on: 09 November, 2022, 03:25:10 pm »
Not ridden one of these (or much else for that matter) in a while. But Grey Sheep has encouraged me to enter the Stansted Express. Someone might have to remind me how it all works. He was even muttering about e-brevets.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #681 on: 09 November, 2022, 07:54:35 pm »
Nice to see lots of ECEs for these events again  :thumbsup: one of my favourite series I definitely felt I was missing out after  reading this thread so ECEd all 4 rides for the coveted badge even though Covid meant 2 of them were done as perms

« Reply #682 on: 09 November, 2022, 08:29:38 pm »
They certainly are ECE friendly, given timings and start locations (even if I live close to the starts so ECEing generally involves loops of roads I know far too well!). Been a wee while though, so might just stick to the 100 until I find my longer distance legs again.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
« Reply #683 on: 15 November, 2022, 09:18:33 am »
Not ridden one of these (or much else for that matter) in a while. But Grey Sheep has encouraged me to enter the Stansted Express. Someone might have to remind me how it all works. He was even muttering about e-brevets.

E-brevets are what it says on the tin electronic brevet cards. Not all events use them, you will need to check with the event organiser or event details on audax.uk  If it's your first time using an ebrevet then I would advise using both ebrevet and a brevet card.

All the details can be found from here  https://audax.uk/about-audax/event-types/permanent-events/e-brevet/

I have always used both when available.  Hope this helps 😀

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #684 on: 15 November, 2022, 10:41:14 am »
When you use e-brevet for a calendar ride you do still need to collect your brevet card and sign it. Depending on the organiser you may be asked nicely to fill in your times for each control at the end after you finish (which you can get by looking at the phone screen). There is an option for the organiser to print stickers with control times, but I don't think this is widely used at present, so be prepared to write them in. Don't forget to upload it too after finishing (hopefully with a full series of green ticks!)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #685 on: 17 November, 2022, 11:11:15 am »
I'll be getting the Stansted Airport Express rider email out this morning, due to rain postponing outdoor work.

I went to Thremhall on Sunday to check they're happy to host the half-way control. All good, but they'd appreciate a controller or two there, so if any of out trusty team would like to get a ride in, leaving about 10:00 on a more direct route to the cafe that'd be great. On expenses of course!

You could 'do a felstedrider' (Hopstock 200km) and ride the event: leave a bit early, stamp brevets and then chase down the tail end of the field ...

In other news, it's the Mighty Oak Christmas beer tasting on 3rd December in Maldon as per usual, so I'll be riding there with some of the team and then back to the 'spoons by 13:00 for lunch.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #686 on: 21 November, 2022, 05:23:42 pm »
Stansted Airport Express Helpers' Ride: Saturday 26/11/22 is looking a little better than Sunday for this, at the moment. I'll be keeping an eye on developments.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #687 on: 21 November, 2022, 07:46:12 pm »
Looking forward to it, missed the 3Rs due to ongoing domestic stuff
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #688 on: 25 November, 2022, 06:39:51 pm »
Stansted Airport Express Helpers' Ride: Saturday 26/11/22 is looking a little better than Sunday for this, at the moment. I'll be keeping an eye on developments.

Tomorrow it is, leaving 09:30 from the 'spoons.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #689 on: 25 November, 2022, 07:20:28 pm »

Tomorrow it is, leaving 09:30 from the 'spoons.
I’m planning on being in ‘spoons about 8:30 for breakfast

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #690 on: 27 November, 2022, 04:30:14 pm »
Route Check and Helpers' ride done.  :thumbsup:

Revised route sheet and information sent out to all riders. To be followed-up by missives to later entries, as they come in - I aim to get this done on a daily basis from now to the end of the week.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #691 on: 01 December, 2022, 09:01:20 am »
Weather Report;

Cloudy, 5ºC, moderate easterly breeze, 20% chance of precipitation. Could be worse, but in a word: WINTER.

We now have 76 on the start sheet (after subtracting the helpers from last week and the DNSs that have let me know so far).

« Reply #692 on: 02 December, 2022, 11:47:48 am »
Enter last min last night ECE from London. Just checked 65km to the start and 65km back again. Somehow, I was thinking it was only 50km from London.  :facepalm:

Warm layers as i'm getting damp riding to work. Hopefully a few good warm cafes stop on the whole ride.

Does anyone know what the cycle track in Chelmsford is like? Coming from Blackmoor ish to the start.

« Reply #693 on: 02 December, 2022, 11:59:27 am »
The ECE doesn’t have to include the full 65km back.  Just include 35km back in your submission. Then you’ll be off the clock for your last 30km home.

« Reply #694 on: 02 December, 2022, 12:07:06 pm »
Does anyone know what the cycle track in Chelmsford is like? Coming from Blackmoor ish to the start.

It's probably the easiest way through town if you don't know the area. However, as it's shared use, you will have to dodge dog walkers, phone gazers and errant children...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #695 on: 02 December, 2022, 12:12:43 pm »
The ECE doesn’t have to include the full 65km back.  Just include 35km back in your submission. Then you’ll be off the clock for your last 30km home.

I usually find it better to include the full distance and get the extra time.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

felstedrider

« Reply #696 on: 02 December, 2022, 01:12:13 pm »
Still deciding.   My injuries are causing me a bit of pain but I do have a working bike.   

The ECE is definitely out the window but maybe just the 100.   It does pass pretty close to home so I can bail if necessary.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #697 on: 02 December, 2022, 02:16:28 pm »
Enter last min last night ECE from London. Just checked 65km to the start and 65km back again. Somehow, I was thinking it was only 50km from London.  :facepalm
Our preferred ECE approach for Witham rides was all the way up, then a really nice route back to Harlow and train to London. Frequent and tandem friendly including the station lifts

« Reply #698 on: 02 December, 2022, 08:36:07 pm »
New tyres fitted. 38mm. Hoping for a nice plush ride tomorrow  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #699 on: 02 December, 2022, 10:01:50 pm »
I shall be on the comfily shod Faran rather than 28mm shod recumbent, need to work out the solution to that problem.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens