Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 121711 times)

Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #800 on: 17 November, 2023, 06:12:40 pm »
e-brevet is ready to go for the SAE, event number 23-342
There will be QR codes to scan at the Start, Thremhall and Finish.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Top marks and three cheers for Huggy!

Indeed, let’s all buy him a pint at the ACME awards ceremony tomorrow night … if we all chip in it’ll be about 5p each  ;D

But seriously, thanks Huggy. These e-brevets are making Audax rides more efficient for us riders.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #801 on: 17 November, 2023, 07:22:55 pm »
But seriously, thanks Huggy. These e-brevets are making Audax rides more efficient for us riders.

Well not at the first control on 3Rs where John Jackson sailed by calling out the info answer (without stopping) as a few of us struggled with touch screens in the wet 😂

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #802 on: 17 November, 2023, 11:00:35 pm »
Do I dare, maybe the card as a back up, just in case...
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #803 on: 18 November, 2023, 10:29:12 am »
Well not at the first control on 3Rs where John Jackson sailed by calling out the info answer (without stopping) as a few of us struggled with touch screens in the wet 😂

;D I too couldn't help but notice the 'struggling with phones and wet gloves thing' as I rolled by ...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #804 on: 18 November, 2023, 10:35:53 am »

;D I too couldn't help but notice the 'struggling with phones and wet gloves thing' as I rolled by ...
It's even more inconvenient when group riding the route check with the Organiser and needing to stop for verifying the e-brevet as the 'tech expert' while everyone else merrily rolls on through the info controls  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #805 on: 19 November, 2023, 08:43:24 pm »
Unfortunately, on the big day, Dec 2, the Greater Anglia Express gets no further than Ingatestone on the main line out of  Lazytown.  :-(  But that will no doubt delight the ECE community in the metropolis.
What's the local-knowledge route advice from Ingatestone to Witham? Chelmsford looks like a bit of a blot on the landscape (sorry, Chelmsfordians) in terms of through cycling, with little serious consideration to getting riders in and out of town? I'm wondering whether I'd be better adding a few miles and going round to the south east through Sandon than bothering successively with the lack of a serious alternative to the A414, then the town centre, and then the A12/A130 junction? I know from previous events how to do the last leg from Hatfield Peverel, even if the prospect is not particularly inviting.

« Reply #806 on: 20 November, 2023, 04:44:05 am »
What's the local-knowledge route advice from Ingatestone to Witham?

Are you looking to minimise the distance, or is a pleasant route the objective? Or both?

If you are looking for a direct route, then there is a pleasant route into Chelmsford using the cycle path that runs past Writtle College. That takes you through Central Park. The only advisory on that is that if there’s been a lot of rain, parts are prone to flooding.

I’m not so familiar with routes out of Chelmsford the other side, except using the Boreham Road. Others will be able to advise better.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #807 on: 20 November, 2023, 06:06:07 am »
Honestly the main road (think that's the name) from Boreham interchange to Hatty P has a decent cycle path to Boreham (from the interchange) and the roads not bad from when you join the road outside the lion Inn to Hatty P.  Yes it's a fast road but it's wide. I use it most days when cycling to work

The other option would be to cut through channels new housing estate and work your way in via Terling. I can probably link you to a strava where I have done that if interested

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #808 on: 20 November, 2023, 09:19:26 am »
In years gone by we did quite a lot of eces to Witham from London and used to go from Ingatestone to Galleywood and Great Baddow, thence east across the A12 to take the back lane past Papermill Lock to Boreham. From there we used the B road and then the cycle path by the A12 to Witham. Not scenic but seemed fairly direct.

« Reply #809 on: 20 November, 2023, 07:50:28 pm »
Thanks everyone. For the morning, I was looking for a reasonably-direct route because I'm bound to have limited time. I had spotted something like TFC's Terling route and bhoot's Galleywood - Great Baddow (think I've got those roughly right?) I've also taken a look at Writtle and the town centre now, but that's actually the same distance (17.2m) as via Baddow, so I'm favouring the latter at present (no messing around with lots of lights and turns). To be fair it's only a couple of miles more than I'd have had to do on a direct line if the old A12 were still intact, and the same as motorists do going round the bypass!

I do see the B1137 as the obvious way on the Witham end, even if Terling would be more pleasant. I take it that I join it at the Lion Inn because I come off the cycle paths, rather than because I appear from some side route?

I'm comfortable on fairly busy roads, and nor am I a conscientious objector to cycle paths. I just want a fairly direct route that doesn't suffer from the usual problems in unfamiliar areas:
  • Cycle routes that stop suddenly because it hadn't occurred to their designers that you might want to go through, rather than to, the town centre, leaving you a bit lost
  • Mammothly-slow give-way-at-every-turning-on-loads-of-roundabouts cycle diversions
  • Routes only fit for serious mountain bikes
  • Missing out on the really-good route that all the local riders know

May as well take the best route available, as I may never need to do it again. And I like maps, so I rather enjoy planning these things out in advance ;D

So Galleywood it is, I think, though not actually Papermill Lock, as the straight run into Boreham goes west of that?

« Reply #810 on: 20 November, 2023, 08:06:30 pm »
Yeah there's a cycle path alongside the road, you may want to use the road but I happily use the path next to it. It runs out when you get to the lion Inn

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #811 on: 20 November, 2023, 11:43:15 pm »
My bad on Papermill Lock, yes we used the next crossing to the west. I guess it can be affected by flooding.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #812 on: 22 November, 2023, 04:04:58 pm »
Saturday is looking ok for the Stansted Airport Express helpers' ride: bright but cool, breezy. 09:30 start from the Battesford Court - helpers' will be on expenses as usual. I'll be along about 08:30-09:00

Helpers can pick another day to ride if they can't make Saturday.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #813 on: 26 November, 2023, 04:17:15 pm »
Helpers' Ride done, thank you to all concerned.  :thumbsup: The roads are all still there, with apparently no upcoming road closures, though several monster potholes noted.

The long range forecast for Saturday is looking similar to yesterday: cold and sunny ... we'll see.

And ... it's Witham's Christmas Fayre from 3pm with lights switch-on at 6pm: Newland Street will be closed to motor vehicles, but you'll be able to walk through to the Battesford Court - which will be busier than usual!

« Reply #814 on: 26 November, 2023, 05:12:17 pm »
Cold and sunny like yesterday will do nicely, as long as the lanes aren’t taking drainage / risk of ice.

« Reply #815 on: 28 November, 2023, 07:26:18 pm »
Now looking to be starting around 0C and max 2C. Are the opening lanes gritted?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #816 on: 29 November, 2023, 08:03:17 am »
Now looking to be starting around 0C and max 2C. Are the opening lanes gritted?

Short answer, no! If you reverse the inbound, Spa Road route and continue to Terling, that is gritted, but not onwards to Great Leighs. On Saturday morning, I'll ride in on the first section of the route and report on the state of the roads. (I'll be on Marathon Winters, just in case, as it will be at about 07:30!)

« Reply #817 on: 29 November, 2023, 12:39:11 pm »
Ice at edge and frosted gritted lanes on my outing today.  Wore a summer base layer but I’ll go with winter base layer for longer outing Sat.

It’s a shame my rear winter tyre doesn’t fit if I leave mudguard on.  Maybe one day they’ll do it in 32mm.

« Reply #818 on: 30 November, 2023, 01:08:09 pm »
hmmm, UK Weather warning for snow and ice on Friday is only just east of Witham.  Plus now looking at a forecast starting temperature of -1C at 10.00am on Sat.

I found some marathon winters (they do 622 in 30mm :-) ) and ordered them last night paying for express delivery.   Hopefully arrive today or tomorrow. Not sure I want to risk an off (even though it'll hurt less from a recumbent), in lanes that aren't gritted (beyond first 6km if use alternate to Terling).   

Pleasantly surprised at how cheap marathon winters are, thought they'd cost a lot more.

I've got some non studded (lamellar tread, cold weather compound) winter tyres already but they'd break the mudguard rule if I fitted rear one (37mm).

« Reply #819 on: 30 November, 2023, 05:58:59 pm »
Hoorah, got a tracking email, Winters due to be delivered tomorrow.  Hopefully early enough I can fit and give them a reasonable test run ahead of Sat.  Got a spare rear wheel which will make swapping rear easier, must get round to building a spare front wheel for an equally fast swap in future.

« Reply #820 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:19:06 pm »
Hmmmm... it's not looking good. There were a few icy spots today when I went out and that was midday. Plus we've got another couple of nights of sub-zero temperatures to come. Have to wait and see I guess....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

ElyDave

« Reply #821 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:16:55 pm »
Well, I have my new Lake boots, sitting here in my living room they are very toasty, and were a positive benefit in my unheated office earlier today.  I've not got anything better than Terravail Canonball for tyres.  I'll be there unless called off by organisers.

« Reply #822 on: 30 November, 2023, 10:38:38 pm »
Hmmmm... it's not looking good. There were a few icy spots today when I went out and that was midday. Plus we've got another couple of nights of sub-zero temperatures to come. Have to wait and see I guess....
Thanks. Watching with interest for any more updates. I've got some studded Marathons from when I commuted between towns (now it's mostly in London, where it rarely freezes), but I hadn't planned to fit them. I think, if it is going to be significantly icy, I might end up giving it a miss :(

ElyDave

« Reply #823 on: 01 December, 2023, 06:46:48 am »
having scraped the car this morning and skittered down the lane from my house to a b-road, if it's like this tomorrow morning I may do the same and go out locally later in the day.  It's the bits in shadow and the dips that don't warm up and can catch you by surprise that bother me.

« Reply #824 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:41:15 am »
I never used to ride on winter tyres on my commute.  But there’s a difference riding lanes you were on twice a day 5 days a week, year round, and knew the condition of, if they were taking drainage, if it’d been foggy, where the cold spots usually were, and where ice typically might form  etc and lanes you have no idea about.

Coldest I’ve commuted in was -11C and that did feel cold! My winter boots, recently retired, did a good job that day.

Foggy and frosty here at the moment in north east Herts.

My Winters were last seen Hatfield depot at 6am. Now awaiting a text / email of expected delivery window.