Author Topic: Proper old school greasy spoons  (Read 17933 times)

Re: Proper old school greasy spoons
« Reply #75 on: 17 November, 2017, 02:54:08 pm »
I like regional variations in chippies.

Many years ago, when I lived in the Midlands, I'd never experienced or even considered putting gravy on chips. So I always like to do so when north of the Watford Gap. I like it very much.

I rememeber when one of my housemates at uni (from The NorthTM) came down to visit in the summer. We had a few beers and then went to a chippie and I fancied adding a Savaloy. When I ordered it he went "WHAT THE FOOK IS A SAVALOY?!!!"

Happy days  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #76 on: 17 November, 2017, 03:08:25 pm »
You should have given him the honest answer "pig brains in a sausage skin, but I think this is a cheap one because it is made from real meat."

When I was a little kid, too small to help with the horses, a treat (to keep my out of the way) would be to let me buy a battered sausage. These were only sold at some seaside dubious greasy shacks or, for some reason, racecourses. Cheap sausages of dubious provenance fried in batter. Fantastic.

The seaside treat of a battered pineapple ring, consumed after swimming lessons, eaten while the pineapple was so hot it burnt your mouth. Double fantastic.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #77 on: 17 November, 2017, 03:19:13 pm »
...for some reason, racecourses.

Well, if you have to put a horse down, you might as well make use of it  :P

There was a great chippie on Manly Corso when I lived there. No idea if it's still going, but it reminded me of days out at Clacton or Walton or Southend etc when I was a kid.

« Reply #78 on: 17 November, 2017, 03:24:04 pm »
...for some reason, racecourses.

Well, if you have to put a horse down, you might as well make use of it  :P
My dad (racehorse breeder, trainer, chairman of racecourse and amateur jockey) was a proponent of putting down a large proportion of the racehorses - too many, in too bad a condition. He'd eaten horse in France. Sooo, I'm not saying he'd have advocated an on-course butcher (mostly because it would have put off the public) . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #79 on: 17 November, 2017, 03:28:50 pm »
Barakta went to a chippy in Glasgow recently that failed to competently batter a sausage.  Shocking, I know.

« Reply #80 on: 17 November, 2017, 03:53:47 pm »
There's a café on the east bound A30 at Ashford/Bedfont (so just south of Heathrow airport) which certainly used to tick all the boxes for old school greasy spoon, although I haven't been in there for a few years so they may well have smartened up their act - it is still there.

« Reply #81 on: 17 November, 2017, 04:23:07 pm »
I like regional variations in chippies.
Me too.
Southampton (where I grew up) menu: cod, plaice, haddock, whiting, steak and kidney pie, sausage (in batter, of course)
Manchester (uni) menu: fish, steak and kidney pie, cheese and onion pie, meat and potato pie, meat pie. All with the options of gravy or curry.

And there's a particularly good little chippy in Sheffield which does cod roe which I've never seen anywhere else, but which is fabulous.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #82 on: 17 November, 2017, 04:32:46 pm »
Scottish fish suppers were always a source of disappointment. I'm sorry to disparage a nation, but it's true. In the entire history of humanity to date there's never been such a look of horror pasted on a person's face as my mothers when they salt-n-sossed her chips. As to my dad, he summed it up simply as 'the fuck.' They drove all the way to Edinburgh and turned round because they didn't like the fish and chips and 'it was cold' and my mother hadn't taken a coat. My parents don't travel well.

Battered sausage is still my favourite (much better than fish which is just too much greasy batter in the end). You should be able to bite it in half and watch fat ooze out. It makes my heart flutter. Admittedly, flutter as in a dying butterfly with one wing yanked off, but flutter all the same. And mushy peas. Come on, mushy peas. It makes me happy – it makes me want – just writing the words mushy peas. I love mushy peas and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Of course, there was the curry sauce, rice, and chips with a fritter on the top which was possibly the cheapest way to get an entire day's recommended calorific input in one go.

Our Liverpool friday tradition was fish chips and curry sauce from one of the chippies down in Chinatown that used to be open sometime after bedtime-o'clock.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #83 on: 17 November, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »
My Mum (a Glaswegian who has been in England too long) asked for a cheese and onion pie at a Paisley chippie last week... They looked at her like she had two heads  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #84 on: 17 November, 2017, 04:53:46 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #85 on: 17 November, 2017, 05:09:18 pm »
Quote from: ian þlink=topic=105765.msg2227883#msg2227883 date=1510936366
they salt-n-sossed her chips.
=?

Salt and broon sauce.
The Embra default just to surprise non natives.

I first encountered it as a fresher student at the now sadly defunct Bratisanis, roon the corner from Pollock Halls.

ian

« Reply #86 on: 17 November, 2017, 05:25:38 pm »
It's a very watery brown sauce, halfway to non-brewed condiment, as such it looks like the epitaphic dribbles of a serious bout of diarrhoea. I don't believe it's possible to stop any Edinburgh chippy putting it on your chips.

I'm not sure about gravy on chips unless there's pie involved.

« Reply #87 on: 17 November, 2017, 05:32:45 pm »
I love salt 'n sauce (or however you're supposed to spell it).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #88 on: 17 November, 2017, 05:46:19 pm »
I'd heard it was because, back in ye olde days, fishing boats didn't go out on Sundays, hence there was no fresh fish to be fried. Sounds like it took till 1994 for the law to catch up with the invention of freezers!

AIUI boats not going out on a Sunday is the reason why you shouldn't go to the chippy on a Monday.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #89 on: 17 November, 2017, 05:50:33 pm »
And mushy peas. Come on, mushy peas. It makes me happy – it makes me want – just writing the words mushy peas. I love mushy peas and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Did you know it was National Mushy Pea Day last week?

One of my clubmates runs a fish & chip shop in Ramsgate, which was recently named one of the top two in the southeast in a national competition. He celebrated National Mushy Pea Day by giving away a mushy pea fritter with every order.

Totally awesome.

ETA: even better - it was International Mushy Pea Day https://mushypeaday.com/

« Reply #90 on: 17 November, 2017, 06:01:42 pm »
Silver Ball Royston, any local audaxer will know it. Gravy and chips availability seems to start whilst heading northwards around the Nottingham area.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #91 on: 17 November, 2017, 06:04:10 pm »
Mushy peas are just the wrongest thing available in any chippie. And there's a lot of competition!

« Reply #92 on: 17 November, 2017, 06:16:10 pm »
...any local audaxer will know it.

I know many of the establishments mentioned upthread through Audax, but what's that absolute shithole in Chatteris called? The food is so bad, it's actually good!  :P

ian

« Reply #93 on: 17 November, 2017, 06:29:51 pm »
OMG, I missed mushy pea day. And I'd forgotten about the supreme splendour of a mushy pea fritter. Mushy peas deep fried, oh my giddy aunt. That's like being hit in the face with a dinosaur-depleting-sized meteorite of awesome.

I don't think they do mushy pea fritters around here. The people of Surrey aren't ready (to be honest, they're not ready for a lot of things, the 21st century for instance). Shame, because I could eat one. I could do some fish and chips but I suspect my evening's booze marathon will preclude the 10pm deep frying curfew.

Actually the last time I had fish and chips was in Deal, sitting on the wall looking at the sea, which is the properest way to eat them.

citoyen

« Reply #94 on: 17 November, 2017, 07:16:05 pm »
Mushy peas are just the wrongest thing available in any chippie. And there's a lot of competition!

As a wise man once said... shit off!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #95 on: 17 November, 2017, 07:36:38 pm »
Mushy pies?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #96 on: 17 November, 2017, 07:47:53 pm »
Yum mushy peas!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #97 on: 17 November, 2017, 08:08:57 pm »
And there's a particularly good little chippy in Sheffield which does cod roe which I've never seen anywhere else, but which is fabulous.

Danes are rather fond of cod roe. Is there a Scandic connection?

« Reply #98 on: 17 November, 2017, 08:12:10 pm »

Danes are rather fond of cod roe. Is there a Scandic connection?
Not that I'm aware of. I think it's just 'always' sold it and even when it changed hands they kept doing it.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #99 on: 17 November, 2017, 08:37:18 pm »
I guess mushy peas are a Marmite type thing.

I just don't understand them.

I mean you could get some fresh peas, or even frozen peas and gently boil them for a few minutes adding a little seasoning. Delicious.

But oh no! You have to force feed them water and food colouring until their livers are ready to explode. Like a pea version of Foie gras.

Gopping.