86 (37.1%)
Good, but others may be better
26 (11.2%)
Only really a last resort
2 (0.9%)
It will a cold, cold day on Hades...
2 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Chain Reaction Cycles  (Read 71587 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Chain Reaction Cycles
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2013, 03:49:37 pm »
I'm loving the Collect+ returns system that CRC now have in place

Wiggle have that too - very handy!

Not used it - how does it work?
You drop it off at a place which handles Collect+ - generally a local newsagent or petrol station - someone there logs the package into the courier's system and it's then picked up by the courier and dealt with in the usual way1

Personally, I find Collect+ to be monumentally inconvenient as the nearest place that handles such things is 5 miles away, whereas it's about half a mile to the village post office. YMMV, of course.

1 - which is to say: lost, found, lost again and then buried in soft peat for 3 months and then recycled as firelighters.

« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2013, 04:09:01 pm »
Stuff arrived in a Jiffy Bag today (not a cardboard box). Less than 24 hours from the time I ordered, too.

« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2013, 07:22:17 pm »
For me, it means I can send items back by taking a 10 minute walk to a shop that is open 7-11. Free of charge. The shop scans the bar code on the Collect+ label that comes in the parcel and you get an initial receipt, followed later by a confirmation of receipt from Wiggle. So for me it is convenient as I can go outside working hours and I don't have to pay.

« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2013, 10:55:52 am »
Their postage does seem to be much slower. The last couple of orders have both taken nearly a week to arrive (I don't think I can blame the postie, as everything else arrives pretty timely).

Not that it's really bad - but it used to be very, very good.

Collect+ is excellent, though. Utterly quibble-free returns.

« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2013, 02:54:53 pm »
Ordered a Thompson seat collar on Wednesday morning, it arrived on Friday - can't complain about that.

« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2013, 06:11:04 pm »
Ordered a set of seals for Lezyne Road Drive Thursday morning, arrived Friday.

Superb!

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2013, 06:57:00 pm »
I'm a bit peed off. I ordered a set of Shimano 105 stis the listing says they come with silicon greased cables. Anyway they arrived in a big CRC box but unpackaged, just in taped up bags and no cables. I'm sure when I've bought shifters before they've had outers and inners and cable ends and a selection of ferrules before. I sent an email off and after I'd repeated to them that there was nothing but the levers after they asked me to send a photo of what was in the box they've agreed to send inner cables only cos thats how that set comes??!!!

I suspect they were priced competitively cos they're OE levers.

Not very good, I've spent a bloody fortune on their site over the years. I shall be going elsewhere for a bit.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2013, 08:28:43 am »
They sent two inner gear cables only.......

I'm sending it all back, sod 'em, I'll go elsewhere.

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2013, 09:54:14 am »
One cycle computer with cadence counter for the turbo trainer, ordered last Saturday arrived Monday :)
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

« Reply #234 on: May 04, 2013, 12:08:03 pm »
Very quick delivery, but I've started ordering small items elsewhere where there's more chance of a small package that will fit through the letter box.  IME even tiny items from CRC come in a medium sized box (because of automation) that involves a trip to the RM depot.
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

« Reply #235 on: June 18, 2013, 08:10:30 am »
I just received an order from them, put in on Sunday evening, so it's less than 36 hours later which is impressive for something coming from Belfast.

As others have said, the packaging is a little ludicrous for small deliveries, which used to come in jiffy bags.  I'm surprised that andyoxon above, managed to get his in that, possibly they have multiple systems, and some stuff gets done more handraulically.

For two sprockets, a box of about A4 dimensions and four inches thick seems a bit perverse.  A small envelope would have worked, and even the most clumsy PO employee couldn't easily bend or damage them.  However, I can see the logic in automated packaging, and the system does seem to have speeded up deliveries.

This seems to mean that now, what would have been delivered by my usual postman, with his somewhat huge delivery bag, is now turning up in the back of a van.  Whether that's good for the PO or not, I don't know, but I'd suspect it's marginally worse for the environment, although the cardboard is trivially recyclied, whereas as others have said, the jiffy bag would have gone into the landfill, since I rarely need to post anything using a jiffy bag.  A challenging TCO calculation!
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2013, 10:56:08 pm »
I find the problem with the new system is that stuff which used to fit through the letterbox now ends up at the delivery office which has really inconvenient opening hours.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2013, 07:49:42 pm »
Ordered a Ridley frame/fork to replace my broken BMC... Also ordered a wider handle bar at the same time. Chain Reaction's service was great, answered all my questions, first class operation. Paid for the tracked delivery.

Deliver times however (thanks the ParcelFarce) :

Both items we "shipped" on the same day.

Handle bar arrived with in a few days (the 2 to 4 days mentioned on the site)

The Frame / Fork sat for 5 days before it was moved from the ParcelFarce depot towards Export. In total: 9 days delivery time. No "sorry" from ParcelFarce nothing, just crap service.

So, if you're ordering from ChainReaction, make sure you pick the DHL delivery.. it may cost a bit more, but at least you'll get it within a reasonable amount of time.

« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2013, 09:18:45 am »
Ordered a bb axle from them on Sunday.
Called them on Monday to see when it's due.
Tuesday, they told me.
Tuesday it turned up with one cup missing.
On the phone again.....
They wanted me to return it for a refund....
I wanted to get my bike on the road - which I could do using the old cup, until they send me the missing cup.
Eventually they agreed to this - saying they'd confirm what they're going to do within 48 hours.
Yesterday, I had this email from them.

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear that your FSA Bottom Bracket has arrived missing one of the cups.  On this occasion we are sending you a replacement and there is no need to return the faulty item but please dispose of it accordingly.

This should be dispatched within the next 24 hours.

Can't fault that really.

« Reply #239 on: September 12, 2014, 09:04:59 pm »
What on earth have they done to their website?
It is getting so slow as to be almost unuseable.
I know my broadband isnt the quickest but I manage OK on other shops.

Today I tried to order one item, which happens to be to cheaper at CR than anywhere else on the planet , in fact so cheap it is (just) below their threshold for free delivery.  No problem, put it in the basket (eventually, after waiting for it for a good few minutes)  and I'll add some tyre levers, always good to have another set around.   Took so long to load the page for the levers I'd selected, that by the time it had done so the first item had disappeared from the basket !

« Reply #240 on: October 21, 2014, 10:21:24 pm »
I shopped at this very boutique yesterday. This morning I received a message via the electronic post, saying my shopping had been despatched.

I await its arrival with interest.

[Edit]
PS. Forgot to say. It arrived promptly, exactly as ordered.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2014, 11:51:02 am »
Ordered these at lunchtime yesterday.
They were delivered about an hour ago.
Can't really complain about that sort of service.

« Reply #242 on: December 30, 2014, 02:59:04 pm »
My brother ordered some Xmas pressies from Chain Reaction, delivery to the Continent. CC says they were shipped 09.12, but still not delivered as of today (30.12).

Anyone know if they're victims with the recent UK delivery problems? (ie: Yodel, City Link that sort of thing).

Thanks,
Awfers

« Reply #243 on: December 31, 2014, 11:20:29 pm »
Component ordered online 26th December, delivered this morning.  :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2017, 12:18:24 pm »
OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS CLOSED DUE TO HURRICANE OPHELIA.
PLEASE ALLOW UP TO 72HRS FOR A RESPONSE TO YOUR EMAIL.

!!
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2018, 08:36:59 am »
Ordered small items from CR (see rants passim wiggle). 24hrs later received apologetic email saying that due to weather, delivery would be delayed.

Today, automated email from Royal Mail saying that they will be attempting delivery. That's on a £13 order, right on schedule. Top service.

This is the order that I couldn't place via Wiggle as their website wouldn't allow manual entry of an address. CR's website couldn't find the exact address, but allowed me to manually enter the address. Top marks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2018, 03:24:28 pm »
I placed an order on Friday morning, it's still in 'processing' 😬
Bikepacking bargain basement: reviews of high value kit great for the tourer, bikepacker and randonneur on a budget

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109048.msg2312359#msg2312359

« Reply #247 on: November 27, 2018, 08:42:40 pm »
I placed an order on Sat 24, and received it today (free del).  Not bad.  I still think that online cycle retailing is the poorer for the ChainWiggle merger though.  Perhaps it's just coincidence put a lot of items Im interested in seem to be out of stock (even before BlackFriday).
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"