Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 2482537 times)

Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #15700 on: 01 March, 2013, 02:45:51 pm »
Now, having received an email from a forumite, I am contemplating buying a Cajón...

You know who you are, and you are a bad, bad man :)

you know what goes with that?  An umbrella and a tea party
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15701 on: 01 March, 2013, 02:46:42 pm »

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #15703 on: 01 March, 2013, 03:00:38 pm »
When played well, those are amazing.

But they're not as easy to play well as one of my friends thinks ....
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15704 on: 01 March, 2013, 03:35:21 pm »
Don't you want a Rumba Box like The Best Live Band Ever, The Jolly Boys?  It's basically an oversized mbira you sit on, but it makes the most wonderful bass notes.  Miking it up was a challenge and a pleasure.  One of several occasions when a performer has mentioned that my teching had achieved something no one had ever managed to do before (see also: Billy Bragg, Catsfield Steamers, Hull Truck, M6 etc) :smug:
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15705 on: 01 March, 2013, 04:14:32 pm »
Semi seriously thinking of giving up on this exasperating moving house travesty and investing the deposit in a bike instead
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LindaG

« Reply #15706 on: 01 March, 2013, 04:16:06 pm »
Semi seriously thinking of giving up on this exasperating moving house travesty and investing the deposit in a bike instead

Ah, it'll all be worth it in the end mcshroom.  When you've got a living room lined with snoring forumites full of beer.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15707 on: 01 March, 2013, 04:29:01 pm »

Ah, it'll all be worth it in the end mcshroom.  When you've got a living room lined with snoring forumites full of beer.

Yeah, but I'm supposed to be giving my notice in for my current place today, I'm supposed to be moving a week today. An hour ago my solicitor informed me she hasn't managed to resolve a couple outstanding issues (because the other solicitor is dragging their feet) and couldn't yet confirm that she would advise the mortgage company to lend on the property.

It's taken nearly 6 months to get this far and I'm getting more than a little exasperated.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15708 on: 01 March, 2013, 05:27:44 pm »
Looking for another job ...

(apropos of this: Monster, whoever told you that interstitial adverts were a good idea should be stabbed through the eyes with blunt knitting needles. And then really hurt.)

« Reply #15709 on: 01 March, 2013, 06:10:40 pm »
Now, having received an email from a forumite, I am contemplating buying a Cajón...

You think that'll get her to dance for you???

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15710 on: 01 March, 2013, 06:12:57 pm »

You think that'll get her to dance for you???
There's only one way we'll find out ...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15711 on: 01 March, 2013, 09:17:42 pm »
The cooker is going to have to go, although last weekend's fix has improved it immeasurably.

There is a Belling range cooker which looks great and has good reviews, but they've given it a side opening door on the right which needs 60mm of clearance where we only have 35mm.  Luckily I can cut an inch off an overhanging worktop and steal space on the left to move the cooker away from the unit on the right.  Irritating, but better than paying another £100 for a Smeg cooker which isn't anywhere near as good (looks impossible to keep clean, and NO CLOCK!).

It will be nice to have a cooker with two smaller ovens (and a grill too) which heat up in 5 mins, rather than one mahoosive one which takes 20 minutes.  Should save a fair bit of electricity.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15712 on: 02 March, 2013, 03:13:20 pm »

But, as I found out during my trip into town this arvo, they sound fucking awful in the hands of someone who thinks they can play one ...

« Reply #15713 on: 02 March, 2013, 03:26:23 pm »

But, as I found out during my trip into town this arvo, they sound fucking awful in the hands of someone who thinks they can play one ...
Quite!  My friend has a similar lack of talent.  A good sense of rhythm would seem to be a prerequisite!
The one time I have heard one played really well was at a party at Wells Cathedral School.  I've done a barn dance as an end of year party for the last four or five years for their 'middle' school (GCSE year and the previous one).  Some of the kids have a band which plays in the break, when we get to attack the barbecue.  One year there was a girl sitting at the edge of the stage and it looked as if she was just watching the band very intently.  I could hear a bass part in the music, but there was no bass guitar or similar.  Then I realised she what she was sitting on and just what she was capable of doing with it!  But the cathedral school does have just a bit of a reputation for music!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #15714 on: 02 March, 2013, 03:32:03 pm »
Cooking. I've done a batch of Moroccan chickpea & spinach soup, and one of Bengal Lancers' soup. Now I'm going to start on the curries and stews.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15715 on: 02 March, 2013, 03:35:20 pm »
I'm alternating between cooking and laundry - just put another loaf of rye bread into the oven and another load of miscellaneous bedding into the washing machine.

Various stuffs are currently hanging on the washing line - it's a nice day with a bit of a breeze so I'm going to make the most of it.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #15716 on: 02 March, 2013, 03:37:33 pm »
Procrastinating between spells of tidying and rearranging furniture.

I reckon it might be easier to buy a bigger house...  But I guess we'd have to excavate all the junk really useful stuff for that, too...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #15717 on: 02 March, 2013, 04:16:06 pm »
Waiting for the last results to 'come off' the analyser so that I can bu**er off home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15718 on: 02 March, 2013, 04:19:07 pm »
Just filled in http://road.cc/content/news/77368-study-cycling-and-disease-needs-you and wondering if it's even possible to design a cycling-related survey that isn't irritatingly flawed.

Good to see they've thought of recumbents.  But not gloves   ???

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #15719 on: 02 March, 2013, 04:19:40 pm »
Recovering.

Not from a hard bike ride.

But from lunch @ the Pear Tree Farm in York*.

I should have stopped at the main course, which was really nice (chicken smothered in chili then cheese), but no, I HAD to try a dessert...

Think I may need to undo my top button and lie down for a while!

*Not strictly speaking in York, it's at Monk's Cross, has not one but two lots of sheffield stands and outside tables.  I suspect it may end up being the end point of an evening ride at some point :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15720 on: 02 March, 2013, 04:23:32 pm »
I should have stopped at the main course, which was really nice (chicken smothered in chili then cheese), but no, I HAD to try a dessert...
Good, aren't they?

*Not strictly speaking in York, it's at Monk's Cross, has not one but two lots of sheffield stands and outside tables.  I suspect it may end up being the end point of an evening ride at some point :)
Secure(ish) bike parking is available just across the road if you happen to know someone with the combination for the door locks. Just saying, like ;)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15721 on: 02 March, 2013, 04:58:27 pm »
Just filled in http://road.cc/content/news/77368-study-cycling-and-disease-needs-you and wondering if it's even possible to design a cycling-related survey that isn't irritatingly flawed.
I bet you didn't get the question about erectile disfunction.  ;D

Good to see they've thought of recumbents.  But not gloves   ???
They don't seem to have thought about rib injury either
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15722 on: 02 March, 2013, 05:01:32 pm »
I bet you didn't get the question about erectile disfunction.  ;D

No, but I saw one about testicular cancer.

And gerwinium OTP told them he was a vegetarian, to then be asked how much fish he eats a week.  Wonder if he got the red meat one?

« Reply #15723 on: 02 March, 2013, 07:51:32 pm »
Making Catalan market salad (courtesy of the fat lipped, lispy one from Essex) whilst listening to Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibiton.

Chris S

« Reply #15724 on: 02 March, 2013, 08:53:20 pm »
The Family Boab have just put Hair (the movie) on.

I've not seen it before.

What. The. Veritable. Fuck?  :o