Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 2482202 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #19725 on: 17 January, 2015, 07:26:25 pm »
Tidying up.  I'm trying a new method, which I refer to as "finally throwing out all the crappe".
I would like to implement that plan. Just one problem... I'm not the owner of said crappe
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19726 on: 17 January, 2015, 08:57:20 pm »
I am about to pour myself a recovery drink. We have been in charge of the grandchildren and they are hard work.

I rose at 7am, downed some breakfast and drove to Maidstone. There was a hard frost there (-2°C at 9am according to the car's thermometer, compared to +1°C in Southend at 7.30 am). I drove back with the GCs and arrived home at about 11.15. Our GCs are on the HSC* time zone, which means that they are ready for lunch at 11.30am. We had garlic bread followed by pollo ad astra pizza. Thereafter we went to the park, which was muddy. After walking for a while I took the GCs into the children's area (no dogs allowed) while Mrs. Wow waited with Morphy. He wasn't having any of that and started making Various Loud Sounds in protest at missing out. Mrs. Wow took him home and then walked back to help me.

I had both GCs on swings and was pushing them alternately for quite a long time. Some time before this, GS (aged 21 months) had found a puddle to jump into. I had read his mind and was just not quick enough to prevent him. He was up to his ankles in liquid mud. We had been supplied with only one pair of his shoes.

After a while we set off home just in time to meet Mrs. Wow. On arrival we had drinks and GD set about a colouring book purchased for precisely that purpose wheres GS played with Brio. It was a major achievement Mrs. Wow finding this. Our house is too large for us and functions perfectly well with three or four rooms not in daily use. Whereas most people have to deal with TPCs (© Crinklylion) we have two entire rooms devoted to them and it is in one of these that our children's old, unused, but much treasured toys reside.

Some time towards the end of the afternoon the topic of tea came up. We had bread and things to put on bread, but our daughter and her husband were returning around 5pm and fish & chips were mooted, followed by ice cream. The latter required a visit to Waitrose for a couple of tubs of Mackie's finest organic Scottish ice cream.

As is often the case, the presence of our daughter raised the tension levels by a few Newtons (is that how you measure tension?) and, with their increasing tiredness, the children became fractious, the GD especially so after the GS had found a kazoo amongst the valued items that Mrs. Wow had retrieved from the TPC room and he played it noisily whilst she coveted it equally noisily. Even the presence of a descant recorder as a poor substitute for a swanny whistle didn't cheer her up as much as you might have expected. Eventually they were changed into their night clothes and bundled into the car with a big pile of blankets while we collapsed with a sequence of cups of tea.

A short while after they had left, our daughter phoned us to say that they were both fast asleep in the back of the car and to report that within 50 yards of them leaving our house our GD had crumpled into floods of tears. "I miss Morphy!" she wailed.

I think we will count that day as a success - the first time we have looked after our grandchildren all day other than at their house.

*Hyperactive Small Child
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #19727 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:52:45 pm »
Moving lighting and luggage from the tourer to the Marathon Winter shod Discovery.

Having come down pretty hard in Selly Oak this morning, I assume it will be a lot worse at 7:30 tomorrow morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #19728 on: 19 January, 2015, 09:10:10 am »
Moving lighting and luggage from the tourer to the Marathon Winter shod Discovery.

Having come down pretty hard in Selly Oak this morning, I assume it will be a lot worse at 7:30 tomorrow morning.

Well that was a complete waste of time.  I had to waste 10 mins this morning moving it all back again. 
It's nothing like as icy as I assumed it would be.

Yesterday's bruises coming up nicely.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19729 on: 19 January, 2015, 09:17:44 am »
Why did you have to move it back? The ice tyres work on non-icy days - they just give you a bit more of a workout! ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #19730 on: 19 January, 2015, 09:22:00 am »
Why did you have to move it back? The ice tyres work on non-icy days - they just give you a bit more of a workout! ;D

Bit hungover.  So I wasn't in the mood for a workout.  :-[

« Reply #19731 on: 21 January, 2015, 01:17:51 pm »
Some of this:

« Reply #19732 on: 21 January, 2015, 01:41:19 pm »
Just reported the blocked highways ditch to the local authority, with a little luck the road won't be running water when I go to ride home and the ice risk for later commutes will be reduced.

« Reply #19733 on: 21 January, 2015, 01:56:37 pm »
Sorting out MPLS WAN connectivity with AT&T in the US for one of our customers.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #19734 on: 22 January, 2015, 06:21:13 am »
Sticking stuff in the bread maker and seeing what happens as it is a bit experimental as I think I got the measurements wrong.  Opps.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #19735 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:17:37 am »
Contemplating Excel/MP3Tag SCIENCE such that I can automagically rediddle track numbers on double albums, box sets and so forth, that the DLNA Wossname might play them in the right order.

And getting a headache :(

Is there an idiots guide to this, somewhere?  Much to my surprise, one of our recently purchased double albums understood this with no effort, and sorted itself out when ripped to flac with Nero.  However, confusion was caused by the "not that rare" circumstance that the track numbers on the CD label didn't match the actual numbers on the CD.  The CD is questino was a Monteverdi madrigals one that is a very recent release.

I would love it if my car media thingy (part of the Garmin "Personal Infotainment Device, or PID") would actually pay any attentino to track listings on my 17 CD set of Bach organ works.  It keeps flitting from Leipzig Chorales to another collection and back again.   Manually numbering the filenames in the correct order makes no impression on its free form approach (no, its not on "shuffle!").
Wombat

« Reply #19736 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:12:33 am »
If you're using Windows then Mp3tag is a great free program for rewriting the meta-data and file names.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

« Reply #19737 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:17:43 am »
Trying not to slouch as my back hurts

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19738 on: 22 January, 2015, 06:13:19 pm »
If you're using Windows then Mp3tag is a great free program for rewriting the meta-data and file names.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

+1.  It can read and write umpteen different tag formats and import tag definitions from text files and all sorts of other clever Stuffs.  Though the "import from text file" doesn't like certain unusual characters in path or file names, or Creedence Clearwater Revival ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #19739 on: 23 January, 2015, 04:36:03 pm »
Whilst sitting in the window of coffee shop waiting for Mrs B, I've just had to pop out and give £2 to a Big Issue seller and ask her if she could move 2 feet to her left.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #19740 on: 23 January, 2015, 04:46:57 pm »
Whilst sitting in the window of coffee shop waiting for Mrs B, I've just had to pop out and give £2 to a Big Issue seller and ask her if she could move 2 feet to her left.

Sure you didn't mean to post this in First World Problems?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #19741 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:55:17 pm »

What did you want her to do with the feet once she'd moved them?

« Reply #19742 on: 24 January, 2015, 07:42:56 pm »
Packing for a week in Milan at a conference. A week of lectures with titles such as "Building simplified, automated and scalable DataCenter networks with Overlays".
We do get to go out on the raz on Wednesday night though.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #19743 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:27:00 am »
Sipping some coffee which honestly is far nicer than I can appreciate first thing in the morning, waiting for my brain to wake up and trying to decide which bike to take out today.

The forecast looks bone dry, which is tempting me to bring the "nice" bike out of hibernation as a little treat.

Wombat

« Reply #19744 on: 25 January, 2015, 12:06:18 pm »

its sod's law, innit.  Whenever I am stood around (or sat around) waiting for someone who will arrive from a specific direction, someone always goes and stands in the way, so I move across a bit to keep the view open, and they move too...  I struggle to recognise people in crowded situations, especially in poor light, so can get a bit stressed when waiting for someone, especially if I don't know them really well.

Whenever I am meeting a group or someone in a pub, I always ask them to wave at me when they see me come in, as I may not easily see them, especially if its a warm humid atmosphere in there and my glasses have just steamed up...
Wombat

« Reply #19745 on: 25 January, 2015, 12:13:27 pm »
Voulez vous chauffez avec moi? (boulloir sounded too much like an invitation to be a kettle)

Wow might possibly

;)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #19746 on: 25 January, 2015, 02:00:55 pm »
Breaking the habit of a lifetime and settling down to watch Bristol City play some club from That London.

However, the last 30 minutes of waffling commentators may drive me off to do something useful before a ball gets kicked in anger.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Wombat

« Reply #19747 on: 25 January, 2015, 03:43:08 pm »
Feeling a bit sad, as after being surprised by Mrs W informing me there was a deer in our garden, and taking some pics of it, we then realised it was a very poorly deer indeed.  We phoned the RSPCA, and a man came, and sadly the deer is no more... I helped by holding its head with the noose thingy, whilst he shot it.  We then managed to persuade it into a very large bag.  I know it was "the right thing to do" but it still makes me very sad.   :'( :'( :'(
Wombat

« Reply #19748 on: 25 January, 2015, 04:43:25 pm »
Printing off the manual for the Tektro Lyra brakes on my neighbour's bike, so that I can have a go at adjusting them so that excessive lever pull isn't required*.

Or failing that, add the pads to the list of parts on the bike that, in my view, are FUBAR and need replacing.

* In lieu of what my Google-Fu tells me is the preferred adjustment method, which is to take them off, throw them in the recycling bin, and fit a set of Avid BB7s instead. :demon:

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #19749 on: 25 January, 2015, 05:03:36 pm »
I am currently having a pint in the pub in Llandysul with a bloke who spent 34 years in Winson Green prison in Birmingham.

(click to show/hide)