Author Topic: Water table under the house  (Read 5283 times)

Mrs Pingu

  • Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Water table under the house
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2021, 02:54:58 pm »
Those air bricks are different colours too, added after building to address the same issue?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.


Re: Water table under the house
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2021, 05:07:33 pm »
@Kim: The woodchip is against the wall that marks the neighbour's garden - they are that much higher than us.  Water appears to be coming in somewhere between the two airbricks along the beam, not at the airbrick itself.

@Davef: The level of the path is higher than you would normally expect for the house design, but the water pipes (from downpipe/gutter) are not very deep suggesting this is how it was designed 100 years ago.  It's not a pooling rain issue (I don't think) as the water runs away from the house fast enough for the level not to actually accumulate.

@Canardly: If I remover the bricks next to the house, won't that just mean more water seeping into the ground and therefore running through the clay below the house?  You totally lost me at "Does that dwarf wall bridge the dpc".

@Mrs Pingu: As you look at them from the outside the left hand airbrick is a periscope airbrick to try to get some air circulation below the floor.  The right hand air brick is basically blocked off.
And we know the flag of love is from above/And we can force you to be free

Re: Water table under the house
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2021, 09:45:23 pm »
Technically the drawings show a phreatic aquifer.
Sic transit and all that..


  • Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: Water table under the house
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2021, 01:26:54 pm »
Hi fd3,

Not chipped in as I don't have much to add, and I'd not seen that section by your Architect/Geologist.

That section looks reasonable, and if it's correct then it's surface water flow running downslope in the superficial layer.  It's only likely to be a Till if you are north of a line roughly from Bristol to the Wash, but that's irrelevant.

Others are addressing the issue and I'll leave them to it, but you have to find a way of diverting that flow away from the outside of the property, downhill and away.  Several ways of doing that, including a perimeter french drain with a membrane up against the side of the trench, or the wall of the house.  There are proprietary drainage materials (like egg boxes with a membrane on one side) that you could use.


The generic name for this materials is a geocomposite drain.  Dig a shallow trench, install a perforated pipe at the bottom, install the gcd on edge next to the pipe, backfill with gravel.  Slab over the top, or similar.

Good luck!


  • I'm part of the association
Re: Water table under the house
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2021, 08:47:44 pm »
Random thought - is there a possibility there's a leak from a nearby water main (or spur to a neighbour)  which is ponding on top of the clay local to your house?
Reasonably Inconsiderate