Author Topic: Is This The End Of Retail?  (Read 28029 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Is This The End Of Retail?
« Reply #350 on: February 04, 2020, 04:33:05 pm »
Yes the Ikea is in the centre of the ring road BUT has a very large multi-storey car park of its own with nifty indicator lights over all the spaces so you can see at a glance whether red for occupied or green for empty.

IIRC part of the reason that it's in the centre of the city is that Two Jags Prescott when he was minister of something or other dismissed the planning application for an edge/out of town location at Coventry/east side of Birmingham - with a view to forcing retail back into city centres.

Bit of a PITA for us as it's the nearest and easy to get to ..... must stock up on the pickled herrings before they close  :thumbsup:

Rob

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #351 on: April 22, 2020, 07:37:57 pm »
Just heard that as of five weeks ago, the amount of all UK retail done online was only 10%. This compares to about 50% in China, which is apparently the world leader in this regard. Obviously both those figures will be higher now.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #352 on: April 22, 2020, 08:44:42 pm »
Yes, online is definitely booming right now. Local stores near me are trying to make do with telephone orders in sort of Call and Collect offer but it is hopelessly inefficient to ring products through the till and then call the customer to take a card payment. It might have worked fine when people paid their bills at the end of the month and the delivery boy would ride 20 miles on a single speed to bring your sausages... but Amazon are kicking ass more than ever before. Sadly.
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.

« Reply #353 on: April 22, 2020, 09:03:24 pm »
... but Amazon are kicking ass more than ever before. Sadly.
...and have also just bought a chunk of Deliveroo, to bail them out.  They've been trying to do so for months but the competition rules were in the way, they've apparently been put aside.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/17/amazon-investment-in-deliveroo-cleared-by-uk-watchdog

« Reply #354 on: April 22, 2020, 09:26:01 pm »
I am prepared to give a certain amount of leeway to physical shops in not having the exact variant of product I'm after.
e.g. cycle products. Years ago I wanted a new derailleur - went into JE James, not the smallest most independent cycle shop in the world. Asked for a 10 speed, low normal, short cage, shimano, MTB, rear mech.
No.
OK, forget low normal. Have you got any 10 speed, short cage, shimano mechs?
No, sorry.
OK, have you got any 10 speed, shimano mechs?
Doesn't look like it.
Have you got any shimano mechs at all?
er... no.

About 6 years ago, probably even worse now.
I'd personally be prepared to go to an actual physical shop if they had a reasonable range - after all, sometimes with amazon you get too much choice. But the range of products in physical shops diminishes to just the ones with the most margin purely because of the rise in online shops, so it's not just because online is more convenient. It's just not possible any more.

To an extent I’d suggest that it’s also partially about the manufacturers of bike kit riding the wave of new riders. They continually “ improve”, new model each year, poor backwards compatibility, combined with a new interest in “ tech”.
When I started in the 60s a Bike would be current for over 10 years. Campag gears lasted for ever, and if you’d crashed a new one would work fine.
Now, as for your Shimano rear mech there are a big number of variables over the last 5 years. Stock in a shop loses money fast, and there’s usually a huge penalty for the shop if an order isn’t a minimum value. Lots of shops order from Wiggle.
As has been said, the future is in service. Whereas in my youth having your bike mended, let alone “ serviced” in a shop would have been a matter of shame. Many of today’s riders see this as normal.
Shops that get this can thrive, but hanging onto a 2005 part just in case, isn’t business sensible.

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #355 on: April 22, 2020, 09:33:26 pm »
Local businesses are finding that running an online business is not as easy as it appears.
I've attempted to support local companies (garden centre, food suppliers) who were all saying 'send us an email saying what you want from this list and we'll get back to you with a delivery date' : zilch, nada.

(A pub kitchen in a nearby village seems to have cracked it, small menu on Facebook , phone your order, pick it up in 30 minutes, no mucking about with deliveroo etc.)

There seems to be a niche for a turnkey online ordering & fulfilment system for (very) small businesses.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #356 on: April 22, 2020, 11:55:18 pm »

To an extent I’d suggest that it’s also partially about the manufacturers of bike kit riding the wave of new riders. They continually “ improve”, new model each year, poor backwards compatibility, combined with a new interest in “ tech”.
When I started in the 60s a Bike would be current for over 10 years. Campag gears lasted for ever, and if you’d crashed a new one would work fine.
Now, as for your Shimano rear mech there are a big number of variables over the last 5 years. Stock in a shop loses money fast, and there’s usually a huge penalty for the shop if an order isn’t a minimum value. Lots of shops order from Wiggle.
As has been said, the future is in service. Whereas in my youth having your bike mended, let alone “ serviced” in a shop would have been a matter of shame. Many of today’s riders see this as normal.
Shops that get this can thrive, but hanging onto a 2005 part just in case, isn’t business sensible.

Yeah. I agree: apart from the implication that I was after some legacy part: in 2012, 10 speed was current. I wasn't after a 2005 part.
It is what it is. It's not what it's not, so it must be what it is.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #357 on: April 23, 2020, 09:37:41 am »
Just heard that as of five weeks ago, the amount of all UK retail done online was only 10%. This compares to about 50% in China, which is apparently the world leader in this regard. Obviously both those figures will be higher now.
Turns out the 10% was for food. In fashion it was already more like 25%. Don't know about other goods. Still way below China, obviously.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #358 on: April 23, 2020, 09:43:20 am »
Local businesses are finding that running an online business is not as easy as it appears.
I've attempted to support local companies (garden centre, food suppliers) who were all saying 'send us an email saying what you want from this list and we'll get back to you with a delivery date' : zilch, nada.

(A pub kitchen in a nearby village seems to have cracked it, small menu on Facebook , phone your order, pick it up in 30 minutes, no mucking about with deliveroo etc.)

There seems to be a niche for a turnkey online ordering & fulfilment system for (very) small businesses.

Our local pub did try deliveries (though they tried to do it themselves. Having failed to solve P vs NP, they've now they've gone to a takeaway model.

To be honest though, I think a lot of places that tried to be online in the early days have shut their doors now, having discovered the effort wasn't worth the margin. The future isn't looking bright if you're not Amazon.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

« Reply #359 on: April 23, 2020, 11:30:32 am »
Our local pub did try deliveries (though they tried to do it themselves. Having failed to solve P vs N, they've now they've gone to a takeaway model.

To be honest though, I think a lot of places that tried to be online in the early days have shut their doors now, having discovered the effort wasn't worth the margin. The future isn't looking bright if you're not Amazon.

I am finding the opposite.  my veg now comes from a small supplier who was just starting 5 weeks ago selling from an allotment/smallholding.  They are now supplying 4-5 villages doing deliveries 3 days a week.

My meat comes from an online butcher as does my wine and beer.  The local microbrewery is doing deliveries of various beers which change weekly.

our cafe is doing afternoon teas by delivery and our ironing company is again doing collections and deliveries (he is at 50% capacity).

The veg box is building a website as they move from facebook and email ad payment is by BACS.  The local independent pubs between them have a curry night, pizza night, fish and chips and Sunday lunch.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #360 on: April 23, 2020, 12:31:11 pm »
Our local pub (well, local in the sense that it's the nearest and for many people it is their local default venue, meeting place, drinking place, eating place and music place, though it's not a place I go to myself) is doing takeout beer; queue at the door on marked 2m footprints. Guessing wildly, pubs that function as centres with devoted clientele are more likely to be able to do this kind of thing; pubs that are simply drinking barns have nothing to offer over supermarket booze.

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #361 on: April 23, 2020, 12:40:51 pm »
Our local (it isn't really, but it's a short bus hop away) does crafty beers, I can't see people queuing for a takeaway of Fosters.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #362 on: April 23, 2020, 02:19:52 pm »
That's also true.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #363 on: April 23, 2020, 05:35:11 pm »

Funnily enough...

The client I work for at the moment is a high street retailer. Before lockdown, 10% of their trade was online. Last week it peaked at 50%.

It's currently around 30%. Probably would be more but they're struggling to keep up with demand, which has grown well beyond their capacity. I've heard that senior management are having to help out in customer services. Also having to field a lot of complaints about unfulfilled orders...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #364 on: April 23, 2020, 05:42:43 pm »
I love the idea of the CEO getting ranted at on the end of the phone line.

« Reply #365 on: April 23, 2020, 08:28:24 pm »
I love the idea of the CEO getting ranted at on the end of the phone line.

I love the idea of being able to get through to the CEO on a telephone line!
Sic transit and all that..

Morat

« Reply #366 on: April 24, 2020, 09:38:07 am »
My work has a Farm Shop, they're doing Phone Orders. This is despite us having a full EPOS solution that is already integrated with web ordering. I'm literally a web link away from us going live - but it makes the middle management's head go all melty so it's not going to happen "until we're back to normal". Which, of course, will be far too late. I'm a tad frustrated.
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.

« Reply #367 on: April 24, 2020, 01:59:42 pm »
The company I work for sells ERP systems to retailers.
Part of it has just gone into administration. :(

Morat

« Reply #368 on: April 28, 2020, 07:15:02 pm »
Our EPOS suppliers are feeling the pinch too :(

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #369 on: May 07, 2020, 11:49:30 am »
Target Australia is reporting sales "larger than Christmas" in its reopened stores. (They followed this up by reiterating the importance of social distancing in these busier than ever stores – because local outbreaks will cause state governments to close shops again... )

« Reply #370 on: June 27, 2020, 10:30:31 am »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #371 on: June 27, 2020, 03:59:21 pm »
The physical retail experience lags far behind what technology is capable of providing as an experience.

At the moment, to me, it's about as enticing as a day trip to Bournemouth beach on the hottest day of the year during a pandemic.  But hey, that's just me.
Sic transit and all that..

« Reply #372 on: June 30, 2020, 09:39:11 pm »
No one going into the office anymore  ....  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53242719   Coronavirus: TM Lewin to close all UK shops
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark