Author Topic: Raleigh Grand Prix replacement - Raleigh Mustang Sport?  (Read 690 times)

Raleigh Grand Prix replacement - Raleigh Mustang Sport?
« on: June 20, 2018, 07:14:28 pm »
My 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix 25 1/2 inch frame  had broken forks when I got home yesterday. One fork (?) had broken right off and only the wheel and mudguard were holding it in place. I hope that it had just happened as I came up the curb into the driveway. Anyway when I dismantled it I also discovered that the handlebar stem was broken inside. Finding a new fork of the right size will be almost impossible, so I am considering the replacement.   I have always liked my Raleighs so am considering the Raleigh Mustang Sport.  When I looked at a new bike a few years ago I was thinking £4-500 but now it looks like it will be £800+ .

My local bike shop would like to sell me a GT Alloy Comp at about £800. (Might be more)

What else might I consider. Until I do something I am riding a small 23 inch frame and it's not that comfortable.

Thanks for your ideas.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Raleigh Grand Prix replacement - Raleigh Mustang Sport?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:02:36 pm »
I have a large purple/white steel Raleigh something from the early 80s. Complete but not in sparkling condition.

Also a couple of 70s Carltons, a Circuit in metallic green (good paint but some marks on the crossbar) and a Grand Prix in red with tatty decals.

Willing to part with any or all of them for £££notalot.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Re: Raleigh Grand Prix replacement - Raleigh Mustang Sport?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:48:52 am »
Thanks Torslanda, SWMBO  thinks that I shouldn't have an old 'unsafe' bike.
Raleigh have responded to my query  saying the Grand Prix range has been replaced by LaPierre Bikes. My not-quite-LBS only handles the top range of those. I might go and have a look though.

One problem with all this is that I wouldn't want to buy a bike without trying it, and my LBS seems reluctant to get one in just for me to try.  Ah Yes, I'm tall, so it has to be a big bike, so difficult to sell if I don't want it.

Pain.