Author Topic: Evans in Trouble?  (Read 8462 times)

Evans in Trouble?
« on: September 20, 2018, 10:53:35 pm »
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Evans in Trouble?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 11:37:53 pm »
No, sorry but it's down to rapacious bastards who simply see figures on a balance sheet and couldn't give a flying fuck about sustainable development as long as the shareholders can take a dividend.

You know that "end of Summer clearance sale" they have every year? Driven by the need to actually pay for all the bikes sold in the previous six months.

Forgive me, it's late and I'm very angry...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 12:10:45 am »
I expect, like Craplin, it has little to do with stock or sales or balance sheets and a lot to do with leveraging up the arse for the afore-mentioned dividends.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:18:33 am »
If they go under, it’s a pity! They’ve saved my day many times over in London in my commute.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 08:40:10 am »
They have only just opened a new branch near me. I guess that won't last.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:43:21 am »
Yes, it's a pity. Cyclists like to dislike Evans but it's a big presence and somewhere non-cyclists will go to get bikes and stuff for commuting, shopping, etc. Until we have a "tyres and tubes" section in Tesco, its loss will leave a hole in bikes-as-transport.

I read they were owned by a private equity business, which lends credence to one or other of the financial (as opposed to sales and costs) theories above. This worries me because my favourite LBS is, despite being a very good bike shop, owned by a similar firm. (Though being owned by the family that founded it doesn't always mean much; see "My LBS has closed down" thread.)
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 10:04:11 pm »
It will be a loss if they close up. The Leeds branch does a decent job of looking after all sorts of people, as it should be of course. I recently suggested one of their own brand bikes for my brothers wife.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 01:16:50 pm »
Part of the problem is that the ex-Evans bloke now at Halfords has overseen the opening of quite a few new Halford bike outlets (I forget the name) all within 2 miles, and often much closer, of Evans stores.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 01:28:26 pm »
Cycle Republic?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 02:02:41 pm »
I would be sad to see it go.

When I got more 'seriously' into a cycling a few years ago Evans was the first place I went to see a range of bikes in the flesh and test ride something (which I then bought). I don't think I would have been happy to just order something online without being sure of fit and sizing. The LBS has too few bikes in stock to be that helpful for a novice trying to make choices who doesn't want to be 'sold to'. Obviously that is not the fault of the LBSs. But I think they can be a bit of an intimidating place to walk into for the average novice.

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 02:14:21 pm »
Likewise.
My first 'proper' bike (other than the Holdsworths from my teens) came from Evans - because I was able to easily arrange a test ride of 3 bikes from the branch in The Cut, Waterloo.
I still have that Bianchi - although very little (other than the frame) is original - in a Trigger's broom kind of way.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 10:16:12 am »
They've found a number of potential buyers, including Halfords.
https://www.bikebiz.com/business/halfords-bids-for-evans-cycles
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 11:20:48 am »
Then that'll be the end of those Evans' stores that Cycle Republic have opened close too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 11:44:25 am »
Evans and Cycle Republic have quite a different feel to them. Evans feels like a bike shop crossed with a supermarket, Cycle Republic feels like Halfords without car parts.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 12:50:46 pm »
They've found a number of potential buyers, including Halfords.
https://www.bikebiz.com/business/halfords-bids-for-evans-cycles

Following another link from that story:
https://www.bikebiz.com/business/boycott-enemy-of-free-speech-evans-cycles-urges-press-gazette

(not advertising on the Daily Mail website =/= enemy of free speech, but some people are thick as)
Reasonably Inconsiderate

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 02:16:16 pm »
(not advertising on the Daily Mail website =/= enemy of free speech, but some people are thick as)

I've never understood this idea that an outlet refusing to sell the Daily Mail or a company refusing to place ads with the Daily Mail is a curb on free speech.

I imagine Evans don't advertise in Razzle either, and nor do they sell Razzle on Virgin Trains, yet no one decries this as being "anti free speech".
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 03:04:33 pm »
Does Razzle even still exist? It must be 30 years since I last stole a copy from our long sufferring newsagent. The local Evans in my home town, when it opened, was a breath of fresh air. Just a place to pick up bits and bobs without having to go through the bullshit of the lbs....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 04:00:34 pm »
Lots of marketomails from Evans about clearing out old stock. Bad sign or just normal making way for new model year (and for Christmas of course)?

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 05:16:12 pm »
Mike Ashley bails them out and says 50% of their stores to close.

Oooof.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 08:59:38 pm »
Think he bought it out of administration - qu’elle surprise. More flexibility to leave debts behind and renegotiate rents etc. will still need to keep some suppliers happy though, but he may want to Rajiv the entire supply chain and business model of course.

Shame really, I liked them having a commitment to the high street, but it’s not obvious that enough people need to replace bikes at the same rate as phones to support the industry as it stands.

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 09:20:08 pm »
Had hoped they would survive roughly intact as my easiest to access cycle shop. Hopefully they do better then field and trek did...

BFC

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 11:03:44 pm »
Perhaps not as bad as most of us anticipated - just remember to buy any clearance items using a credit card for better consumer protection.

"Evans has been bought in a pre-pack deal, which means the agreement was reached before the company went into administration."
Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/half-evans-cycles-stores-close-sports-direct-buys-struggling-chain-398657#gPGC6vcoq4fZKbV6.99

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 11:20:40 pm »
Probably said it before but will say it again, sports direct (and by implication anything they own) has a tactic of using their size and power to get brands to produce lower quality and thus lower cost lines just for them. So an "Adidas" tracksuit from sports direct will not necessarily have the same quality as an Adidas tracksuit from elsewhere, that you would expect of Adidas.

This is why I pretty much never trust anything from sports direct or any shop they own.
It is what it is. It's not what it's not, so it must be what it is.

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 04:08:16 am »
Same principle with his football team: looks like a real footballer until it's stretched - then it comes apart.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Evans in Trouble?
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 07:30:59 am »
Probably said it before but will say it again, sports direct (and by implication anything they own) has a tactic of using their size and power to get brands to produce lower quality and thus lower cost lines just for them. So an "Adidas" tracksuit from sports direct will not necessarily have the same quality as an Adidas tracksuit from elsewhere, that you would expect of Adidas.

This is why I pretty much never trust anything from sports direct or any shop they own.

Is that actually verifiably true?

I know that SD own many of the brands they stock - eg Karrimor, Lonsdale, Dunlop [ETA: apparently they sold Dunlop in 2016] - and that quality of those brands is not what it might have been once upon a time (as they are produced to a price) but I’d be surprised if they had any say over quality of third party brands.

Anyway, you can bet this isn’t good news for the excellent Pinnacle range of bikes.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."