Author Topic: Evans in Trouble?  (Read 8468 times)

Re: Evans in Trouble?
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2018, 07:54:21 am »
And sheep are a major cause of deforestation. Why are there hardly any trees left on Harris?

Because humans used them for boats and fires, same as everywhere else in this country.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2018, 08:09:00 am »
The staff in the stores, when I asked them directly, stated that they enjoyed working there and said that the hours and pay were decent.

I find this a bit disturbing. You actually converse with staff in a shop?! I don't just mean saying hello and passing pleasantries, but you start asking them about their working conditions and rate of pay?

You fucking weirdo.  :P

Yeah that is a bit weird. They probably thought you were some high-up manager, and that their immediate supervisor was going to unfairly get it in the neck if they admitted it was a sweatshop.

Have you met mrcharly?  I doubt anyone would rise to being a manager in Sports Direct and still have his hairdo  ;D
I think I'll have to take that as my new sig line  ;D

I'm definitely not a Mike Ashley look-alike (especially these days).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2018, 12:45:01 am »
And sheep are a major cause of deforestation. Why are there hardly any trees left on Harris?

Because humans used them for boats and fires, same as everywhere else in this country.
The forests were cleared for a variety of reasons, including for creating grazing land. One of the main reasons why forests are now unable to regrow is due to overgrazing. Mostly by deer or sheep on Harris. There are a few old rowans left, mostly on rocky crags or in steep gullies, where sheep can't get to them.
Meet the greatest threat to our countryside: sheep

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2018, 08:12:36 am »
See this small video on Isle Martin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QBHA8ZqhI_k
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2018, 12:03:09 pm »
I've heard that it's impossible to buy any* clothes that are completely 100% ethical all the way down the supply chain.

Loake shoes (from one of their made in Kettering ranges).

They are made from skin of an animal. An animal which no doubt suffered some form of torture and abuse on its way to the slaughter house to have its throat slit.
Then the tannery workers, earning Very little  having to bathe in toxic, carcinogenic chemicals to produce a natural product so processed and preserved it no longer bio degrades as flesh should. The waste products from this process, possibly run off straight into the rivers untreated.

But the workers in Kettering earn a living wage, so they are ethical I guess. Not like the made in India ranges.
Rule 77

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2018, 12:32:19 pm »
Leather work, tanning, making anything from leather, in India is traditionally a taboo job, done only by Dalits.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2018, 12:58:16 pm »
In many countries, tannery waste and wastewater needs quite a bit of treatment before discharge. In Western countries, their wastewater often needs treatment even before discharge into municipal sewers. Some (more durable) tanning methods have been completely banned. Direct discharge would result in plod turning up fairly quickly and punitive fines.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
Re: Evans in Trouble
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2018, 01:37:52 pm »
My comment about a living wage was a bit tongue in cheek. I found it quite odd that the Kettering range was deemed ethical but others were not. Irrespective of country of origin, the fact remains that a throat has been slit so it is not ethical.

Quite clearly in most developed countries, if tanneries start discharging effluent down the drains, someone will be held accountable. In some countries however, this may not necessarily be the case.

Not much to do with Evan's, mind.
Rule 77

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2018, 02:28:14 pm »
Aren't most cattle in this country killed by a bolt to the brain, rather than a slit throat (after being stunned)?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2018, 03:18:13 pm »
Aren't most cattle in this country killed by a bolt to the brain, rather than a slit throat (after being stunned)?

The captive bolt is used to render them unconscious (stunned). Most are then slit.
(I don't know if Halal or Kosher permits using the bolt, or indeed any stunning at all. I'm not sure)

Stun to kill techniques
Slaughter in the UK is still predominantly based around the notion that the heart must continue beating after an animal's throat has been cut in order to pump out the blood. Studies have shown that in fact, it makes no difference whether an animal's heart is still beating - the amount of blood lost will be the same. As a result, new techniques have been developed which stun and kill animals at the same time - either by using gas (used for birds and pigs) or by using electricity to cause unconsciousness and simultaneously give the animal a cardiac arrest (used for sheep, pigs and cattle. See also Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks and Geese). Only a small percentage of abattoirs currently use these techniques.

These methods do at least remove the risk of animals regaining consciousness while they are bleeding to death. However, gas mixtures do not kill instantly and can cause great distress if they contain carbon dioxide. The Scientific Veterinary Committee of the EU say that when electricity is used , animals do not always lose consciousness and can therefore suffer a 'potentially painful' cardiac arrest.

Quote from Viva!
Rule 77

Re: Evans in Trouble
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2018, 03:31:54 pm »

Not much to do with Evan's, mind.

Indeed, one for POBI. Is it more or less ethical to wear clothing made from animal products or those made from hydrocarbons or from farmed plant materials. Discuss.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2018, 06:33:57 pm »

They are made from skin of an animal. An animal which no doubt suffered some form of torture and abuse on its way to the slaughter house to have its throat slit.

Hard to judge at the resolution,  but looks suspiciously like a brooks swallow in your avatar.   ::-)
It is what it is. It's not what it's not, so it must be what it is.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2018, 06:51:50 pm »
Those poor swallows  :(
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2018, 08:08:55 pm »

Hard to judge at the resolution,  but looks suspiciously like a brooks swallow in your avatar.   ::-)

Not quite

Although I have had a champion narrow. And I do have in my possession a Selle Italia 1990,  an acquisition which I erroneously believed to be synthetic leather. A fine saddle. But there are other options available. YMMV

Those poor swallows  :(

My bum's a bit too wide for these.

OT  - I wonder if Evan's is going to start selling the typical Sports Direct quality clearance items they are famed for?
Rule 77

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2018, 10:02:53 pm »

OT  - I wonder if Evan's is going to start selling the typical Sports Direct quality clearance items they are famed for?

well is there really cycling gear at the same level as Lonsdale etc as surely decathlon sells good quality stuff at lower price range for example ....

If they did this would simply just push more to wiggle ? 

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2018, 10:23:36 pm »

well is there really cycling gear at the same level as Lonsdale etc as surely decathlon sells good quality stuff at lower price range for example ....

Sports Direct already sell quite a lot of cycling gear. Mostly Muddyfox branded, maybe some Karrimor as well and a few more of their own brands. Some of it seems to be half decent, some may be cheap tat.
Yes, they could lose some customers to Wiggle etc. But it could gain them more customers who want cheap kit. So maybe it would be more profitable overall?

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2018, 09:29:21 am »

Sports Direct already sell quite a lot of cycling gear. Mostly Muddyfox branded, maybe some Karrimor as well and a few more of their own brands. Some of it seems to be half decent, some may be cheap tat.
Yes, they could lose some customers to Wiggle etc. But it could gain them more customers who want cheap kit. So maybe it would be more profitable overall?

I suspect in time we'll see the Sports a Direct brands at knockdown price, alongside better brands at a higher price. This is how they work.
The business model of churning out cheap, disposable shit seems to have worked for him so far.
I think it may take a while to trickle through, but I'd be surprised if they suddenly change their modus operandi here.

Or they all turn into Sports Direct stores  :o :o
Rule 77

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2019, 05:10:06 pm »
just in Evans and got to say had a very good service by very knowledgable staff ...

apparently all the stores that would be closed have been done so and they seem optimistic about the future and no sign of sports directisation ... so how will Ashley make his cash  ?

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2019, 04:21:32 pm »
I've just returned from Evans after buying a rack for my New! Shiny! bike.

It was list as £34.99.  When I went to pay for it the bloke at the till whipped out his phone, found it was cheaper at Tredz (or wherever) and charged me that price.  This pro-active price matching is a new on on me. I've been to shops and told them I can get $product cheaper at $outlet and they've matched the price, but never had them do the leg work for me.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #69 on: Today at 12:15:28 pm »
I was in Evans Gatwick at the weekend.  They now add a £4.99 surcharge for click and collect, which didn't strike me as a Good Move, so I queueueued for 10 minutes to order stuff at the only till for ordering things at. (The touch screen doofers were switched off because COVID).  Place order, wait 5 minutes or so while my goodies are brought down from the warehouse, go and pay.

I mentioned to the person behind the till that charging a fiver to click and collect was a Rubbish and while I understood it wasn't his doing could he pass my comment up the line.  He agreed it was a Bad Thing forced on to them by TPTB and said that is why they (Evans) now offer a £10 voucher if the click and collect purchase is more than £100.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #70 on: Today at 12:18:12 pm »
I mentioned to the person behind the till that charging a fiver to click and collect was a Rubbish and while I understood it wasn't his doing could he pass my comment up the line.  He agreed it was a Bad Thing forced on to them by TPTB and said that is why they (Evans) now offer a £10 voucher if the click and collect purchase is more than £100.
Sport Direct have done that for years. At least they didn't give you a huge mug...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #71 on: Today at 04:49:57 pm »
Encountered this click and collect charge last week - not impressed but we wanted a specific part and Evans appeared to be only on line stockist in the UK (and no LBSs very near us). Made me quite determined not to buy anything else whilst collecting. I thought one benefit for the retailer of the Evans style click and collect is the "whilst I am in here I might as well get a couple of inner tubes" type purchase.