Author Topic: New audax.uk site  (Read 12598 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: New audax.uk site
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2018, 06:38:57 am »
still not picked up by google... I would have thought after a week and a lot of traffic, it would be somewhere on page one.

« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2018, 09:44:44 am »
still not picked up by google... I would have thought after a week and a lot of traffic, it would be somewhere on page one.

It requires people to link to the new site, I doubt many people have done that as it is still in "soft launch" mode.

It'll pick up as people move to the new link, and when it gets tweeted about, as that will generate more links to it (albeit mostly from one site [Twitter], but a site that is popular).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2018, 09:58:27 am »
That's due to an inconsistency in the aukweb data.  One ride has the facilities codes separated by spaces ('correct') and the other has them separated by commas.
It's not dark yet but it's getting there.

« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2018, 10:16:57 am »

One reason for that is the lack of SSL support. Google downgrades any site that's HTTP-only; and will soon ignore them completely I think.

« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2018, 10:22:24 am »
HTTPS is in the Real Soon Now (TM) bucket though.

« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2018, 10:41:02 am »
HTTPS is in the Real Soon Now (TM) bucket though.

:facepalm:

With the advent of LetsEncrypt, there's no reason whatsoever not to default to https.

« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2018, 10:48:57 am »
Ah, they must have done it recently as I checked the other day.

Ah yes, certificate valid from 27 November 2018 so they've finally gotten around to sorting it out.

« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2018, 01:31:37 pm »
If you set a URL with an invalid event id the website barfs rather than displaying a nice error page, eg https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=999999
As BenT says above if you set custom errors to RemoteOnly then users in the real world will get a nice error page rather than a technical splurge.

that's your own fault for not setting your object reference to an instance of an object.  ;D

Also I tried to enter event 2147483648 this morning and it didn't even get that far ;D
It is what it is. It's not what it's not, so it must be what it is.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2018, 07:37:06 pm »
That's due to an inconsistency in the aukweb data.  One ride has the facilities codes separated by spaces ('correct') and the other has them separated by commas.

...which is because organisers have a free text field to enter this information rather than, say, a series of check boxes.

Someone earlier (maybe in a different thread) asked why we don’t give users a free text field to enter their address. This example highlights why not.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2018, 10:27:59 am »
Removal of entered rides from your calendar is on aukweb too, it's a good question though why would you want to?

« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2018, 11:12:58 am »
If I knew I wasn't going to make the event any more (and had told the organiser that so he can reuse my space, and not expecting a refund, etc) I'd want to remove it from my calendar. So I can see why it could be useful for some.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2018, 08:39:53 pm »
Just been pondering the difference between farther and further and found the item below -

"The quick and dirty tip is to use “farther” for physical distance and “further” for metaphorical, or figurative, distance. It's easy to remember because “farther” has the word “far” in it, and “far” obviously relates to physical distance."

So maybe it is correct after all the hand wringing.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2018, 07:33:25 pm »
Anyone else not able to log into the old site? Doesn't recognise my creds but I definitely haven't changed them. Apologies if posted in wrong thread but I thought it may have something to do with the new site.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2018, 10:35:06 pm »

"The quick and dirty tip is to use “farther” for physical distance and “further” for metaphorical, or figurative, distance. It's easy to remember because “farther” has the word “far” in it, and “far” obviously relates to physical distance."

So maybe it is correct after all the hand wringing.

BB

In the USA. Not standard UK usage.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2018, 11:31:17 pm »
Anyone else not able to log into the old site? Doesn't recognise my creds but I definitely haven't changed them. Apologies if posted in wrong thread but I thought it may have something to do with the new site.

As of now, passwords on the old site are case-sensitive.  If you're not sure what password you set up, you can still get that using the forgotten password facility under 'Members', although that too will soon change to a 'regenerate new password' facility.

Failing that you may have found an obscure corner of the old site where recent login upgrades haven't reached, in which case you'll need to explain precisely what is the problem you're encountering.

« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2018, 04:51:23 pm »
On the event page, for an event that I've entered, "enter online" and "enter by post" are greyed out.  That makes sense.  But there's a "delete my event" button.  If you've entered I don't think this should be enabled, as audax entries are (99% of the time) non refundable.  I don't think this should be enabled for entered rides, or at least if it is it should have a different name.

It's also enabled for ones that I have as "maybe".  In this case it's fair enough but I think it should have a different name, like "remove from Maybe list" (something better than that).
Removal of entered rides from your calendar is on aukweb too, it's a good question though why would you want to?
Because once a subscribed member downloads an entry form (or maybe goes to the 'pay by paypal' screen), the system adds that event to the 'The rides you've entered' list. But if one doesn't actually make that entry (ie by post or electronically), it's good that the button allows one to "Delete My Event" in the same way as the red cross allows one to 'Remove item from your calendar' on the current site. Otherwise the entry (in the list) will sit there (and be 'wrong'). As that (current site) page says (Note 2):
"Enter a ride from the web site. When you get to the point you open the prefilled entry form, or click to go to online payment an entry is added to your calendar. You still have to complete the entry process. Please don't think of the entries in the your calendar as being proof of entry."
I think this note should be added to the 'new' site.

« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2018, 08:06:02 am »

As of now, passwords on the old site are case-sensitive.  If you're not sure what password you set up, you can still get that using the forgotten password facility under 'Members', although that too will soon change to a 'regenerate new password' facility.

Failing that you may have found an obscure corner of the old site where recent login upgrades haven't reached, in which case you'll need to explain precisely what is the problem you're encountering.

I used the forgotten password link to retrieve my old password. It has had two characters trimmed from the end. I don't remember doing that so is this a 'feature' that's been added as part of the migration to the new site?
Hear all, see all, say nowt

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2018, 09:12:27 am »
 Not to my knowledge.

« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2018, 04:11:49 pm »
I notice the new site doesn't obfuscate organiser emails, they're available cleartext in the page source. Not sure how effective the old site's javascript code was at halting spambot email harvesters, but it's a bit disappointing that we don't even have that now.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2018, 04:43:21 pm »
I notice the new site doesn't obfuscate organiser emails, they're available cleartext in the page source. Not sure how effective the old site's javascript code was at halting spambot email harvesters, but it's a bit disappointing that we don't even have that now.

As far as I'm aware email security is built into reputable CMS frameworks.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2018, 08:44:55 am »
Obfuscated email addresses are up there with beards, pipes, and cardigans with elbow patches when it comes to presenting a fuddy daddy image (as is, so we're told, the very concept of 'email').

Having said that, a 'contact' button on the event listings putting up a contact form with a shopping list of reasons for the contact would be useful in helping orgs with larger events and kill off any reasons for orgs not to provide an email address, which has been a stumbling block for some time.

Also, the contact us link really should be at the top of the page somewhere, not buried in the footer.  Took me ages to spot it browsing by phone.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2018, 10:14:45 am »
I'd have thought that was something organisers agreed to. They can set up a separate audax email and they don't have to accept postal entries if they don't want to, or they could use a PO box if concerned.
"Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star." Dirac.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2018, 07:18:29 am »
If you make a search for, say, 'awards', you get a response that looks like:

Pop Quiz: What do you click on?

Answer: The page name, shown in bold black text (which is actually a link), not the URL/link shown in blue, which isnt.

Intuitive, it isnt.

When activated (hover over or selected) the heading turns to the active link colour (dark blue) but its very subtle/easy to miss.

Trying this first by phone I was left jabbing the link and wondering why nothing was happening...

Google handles this on a PC by presenting the page name in a high contrast link colour which is underlined on mouse hover-over, and on a phone the heading and link are effectively a block giving a big target for a pudgy finger. This is UX101.

We're going to pay £,600 a day to fix things like this?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2018, 10:21:56 am »
Conspiracy theory: Would an experienced contractor ensure that things like this were set so they had to be fixed?
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2018, 11:00:04 am »
Yes and no. I don't think they've *actively* done a bad job, but they're clearly doing the bare minimum they can get away with and just not caring.

The problem is there's no pressure for them to do a good job, because AUK have made clear they'll be awarded phases 2...N regardless of the quality of what they deliver, at whatever price they ask. I've certainly witnessed project managers become *much* more interested in what's being delivered when lucrative future work is dependent on it.

(what is AUK's ability to walk away? Do they own the source code?)