Author Topic: Recommend me a lunch stop - Monmouth  (Read 468 times)

Recommend me a lunch stop - Monmouth
« on: September 17, 2019, 01:31:04 pm »
Whenever I have controlled there before, I have just dipped into Greggs or Waitrose and carried on my way.

I'm leading a ride for 5 people on Saturday with Monmouth as the halfway point. Anyone know of a decent cafe/pub with space to sling bicycles?

Cheers

Peat

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
Re: Recommend me a lunch stop - Monmouth
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 01:53:24 pm »
Henry's Cafe seems to ring a bell. In or just off the market square.
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 02:31:05 pm »
I don't know how far off route Raglan Castle would be for you, but there's quite a nice cafe there.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 02:42:54 pm »
It is, actually. But it's about 10km too early to be really useful. Same with Tintern, The Filling Station there is a safe bet.

Thanks for the info Cudzoziemiec. Henrys' does look gone, but several other options in that twee courtyard.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 08:34:13 am »
FYI - in case this topic gets searched.

That courtyard now has 4x eateries.

Henrys has become Valeries but looks like a 'high tea' and doily kinda joint.
Opposite is 'The Oxford Coffee Co'. I ate here, good sarnies, not cheap and not quick.
There was another cafe accross from that and a burger place that i couldn't tell if it was open or not.

Anyway, that courtyard was a very welcome oasis of calm from the traffic/market carnage in the main drag.