Author Topic: Hutchinson Sector 32  (Read 611 times)

Hutchinson Sector 32
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:55:29 pm »
I both love and hate these tyres. They were a doddle to set up tubeless, roll beautifully and are fantastically comfortable. Trouble is, they seem to be utterly hopeless for grip. I rode a 300 on them in November in wet conditions and didn't note anything major, but shortly after on a 20 odd mile jaunt, the front let go on an entirely innocuous looking corner, slamming me into the concrete.

This afternoon the rear was spinning up under minimal provocation on a local climb, although I have to concede it was pretty greasy and it did feel that they slipped and gripped in a sort of 'progressive' way if that makes sense?

I'll continue using them now they're on. I'll just ride with their traction issues in mind. I'd be very interested to hear of other's experiences.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Hutchinson Sector 32
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:00:23 pm »
they have the typical rubber compound of long lasting tyres - hard and slippery, like vittoria rubino's (especially the slick version), gatorskins to some extent. it's not a problem to adjust your speed and ride with extra caution; it becomes a problem if you find yourself in a group with others riding grippier tyres..

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:24:24 pm »
Bombproof tyres that seem to last forever.

But zero grip. Roads are super sloppy at the moment too.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 07:09:49 am »
I would add tho, the roads, around here anyway, are particularly slippery, with my usually grippy tyres, seemingly starting to go, in odd situations. I put this down to the amount of skog on the road, the salt they have been using, and lack of heavy rain for some time, to wash the road surface clean.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 07:48:14 am »
It's salt and molasses, plus rotting leaves. Really bad. I'm going round corners at right angles

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 08:54:17 am »
I'll echo the above comments, easy set-up, roll pretty well, good life, low grip in the wet

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:42 am »
I'm going to go ahead and change my review and declare these tyres to be totally unfit for purpose (unless you live in a place where it NEVER rains!) You just cannot trust them at all if there's any moisture on the road surface. How I didn't crash on Saturday's Chalke and Cheese 200 I'll never know. Numerous losses in traction and the rear spinning up all over the place on even modest inclines.
I've ordered some Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance to replace them.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:06:16 pm »
(So far) In 3 winters' use I've not come off using them, but you do have to be pretty careful.  I agree though that the rear wheel spinning when climbing is really annoying.

The upside is that they are bombproof and seem to go on forever.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 05:52:38 pm »
I'm going to go ahead and change my review and declare these tyres to be totally unfit for purpose (unless you live in a place where it NEVER rains!) You just cannot trust them at all if there's any moisture on the road surface. How I didn't crash on Saturday's Chalke and Cheese 200 I'll never know. Numerous losses in traction and the rear spinning up all over the place on even modest inclines.
I've ordered some Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance to replace them.

I’ve got some F5-11st all season and they seem largely OK. Far less sketchy than the original One Pros they replaced.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:51:26 pm »
I ran Sector 28's for four years and did not need to repair a puncture once. Switched to other makes / models last year for a change and had to put tubes in in a couple of cases. Was considering return to the Sectors.  Used them on west coast of Ireland without issue.  Don't remember particular grip issues but riding without a helmet I do tend to be conservative on testing the grip limits.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 08:46:28 am »
I had both 28 and 32. Decent enough tyres, but they wear far too quickly. 28 seemed a better tyre and funny enough they were very similar in size (29 for the 28 and 30 for the 32). A couple of thousand miles at a push, before they start spraying latex out on a daily basis and they are good for (sadly) the landfill.
Shame, as Hutch were the only reasonably priced tubeless tyres (as in often on offer), so I have given up on tubeless altogether

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 09:04:15 am »
Weird. Mine just won't die. If you get a large cut, patch it on the inside. The front tyre has done 3 october-march seasons commuting and weekend rides...no punctures.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 10:25:47 am »
Weird. Mine just won't die. If you get a large cut, patch it on the inside. The front tyre has done 3 october-march seasons commuting and weekend rides...no punctures.

Mine typically would last from March to early July. With the first heat, they will start spraying every other day... patched a hole and a new one pops. Aside from the hassle of having to remove dry latex from clothes and from the bike, I would then have to top it up weekly or so.
This has happened consistently with Hutch and Mavic tubeless tyres... incidentally Mavic are made by Hutch

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 10:36:11 am »
I've never used mine in summer heat. Maybe they soften? In winter a hard compound would account for lack of grip, perhaps.

Bottom line: No complaints about durability and puncture resistance at all, for my oct-april usage. I ramp mine everyday on gravel tracks. No punctures.

...but definite lack of grip on tarmac in winter means I will migrate to a different tyre in the near future.

Like you, I'm pondering what would work. There seems to be a gap between tough tubeless tyres like these, and racing tyres like the One. I don't care about weight on winter tyres, but I want grip AND toughness.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 11:29:45 am »
I was quite happy with IRC Roadlite and Maxxis Padrone, but they are 40-50 quid a pop, which is a bit beyond me now