Author Topic: Planet-X Phaart Bleep rear LEDs  (Read 1505 times)

Planet-X Phaart Bleep rear LEDs
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:42:23 pm »
At £2 each I thought I should finally give these Phaart Bleep 2x 0.5W a go.  *       https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/phaart-bleep-dual-05-watt-led-rear-light

First impressions are that the units seem quite robust, with four coin indents in the seal between the front and back.  The rubberised on/off button is on the front between the LEDS.  Modes are fixed, both flash together, and alternate flashing.  Bright, and effective; I don't have any Smart 2x0.5W to compare to.

These Phaart units seem to click into my existing Smart seat stay mounts well.  One needs to 'help' the unit click in, rather than just pressing them down as the protruding bit on the phaart is larger, and the click tighter. edit.  Pushing the seatstay mount tab towards the rear seems to help with this.  Definitely enhances the value for money if as it appears the lights can be directly used with all my Smart seat stay brackets, on different bikes.  The supplied mount into which these light units slot, as expected, is similar to a Smart, but there is a plastic strap-jubillee clip affair to go around a seat post/seat stay.  TBH I wouldn't really trust this mount direct onto a seat stay, as the plastic turn screw doesn't seem to do the strap up in a securely tight manner. 

Anyway will do some road testing, perhaps in combination with a Smart Lunar and see how they fare...

[* £3.99 delivery though, so the LEDs perhaps fall into 'add on' item territory]
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Planet-X Phaart Bleep rear LEDs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 07:48:11 pm »
I've got a couple of those, and the real thing to compare.  Main difference seems to be the manufacturing tolerances on the plastic, so the not clicking into the bracket properly you describe, and also the two halves of the unit are a bit more keen to separate when you bash it against a Sheffield stand.  In spite of it being a known issue with this design, I've not actually managed to drown any of them, but the Phaarts mostly get used for shorter urban rides.

Perfectly respectable auxiliary blinkies.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:20:15 pm »
Re use in the wet, I notice that on the Phaart Bleep the surfaces either side of the red middle seal are flat (unlike the Smart), so a good couple of rounds of electrical tape should be quite effective at extra weather sealing, if a rainy ride/commute is expected.  Don't know about how good a seal the Phaart rubber on/off button is though.
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 02:21:33 pm »
i have one of those but it didn't get much use so far. it needs a few areas improved - it's a bit bulky for aaa battery light, the led's are deeply recessed in voids which fill up with crud that obstructs led's, no low power mode for group riding.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 06:21:44 pm »
Very similar to the Smart Lunar R1 though...  the Phaart's near identical in weight (~55g inc batteries), depth, height - slightly narrower than the R1's wider top.  The LED recesses also look the same.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:38:06 pm »
I have used that design of light before and they are impressively bright

However, I've also bought cheap lights from Planet-X before and the build quality was not good

I suppose £2 isn't much to waste so it's not much of a loss
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:47:20 pm »
The main feature is that they're cheap enough that I don't have to faff about removing them from the bike when I lock it up.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 07:46:31 am »
For two quid seems a good punt, these look very similar to the ones I buy from wilko's for about a fiver
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 08:00:35 am »
I tried to buy one during my order this week with Planet X. Then it was removed from my basket as they don't ship it to the Netherlands.....

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 07:48:24 pm »
On the dark commute I'm trying two phaarts on 'alternate flashing', one either side of the wheel about half way down the seatstays - same level, and one Lunar R1 on fixed, near the top of the right ss.   Stopped at a junction tonight had a comment from an impressed fellow rider saying 'those two flashing lights are very good'. It's possibly lighting 'arms race' territory, but they are very striking...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 08:02:29 pm »
I used the cycle route to take some WEEE to the tip earlier because the sensible road route was gridlocked (I suspect due to too many cars), and managed to roll the trailer by failing to negotiate a Silly Sustrans Gate™.  I didn't notice at the time that the business half of the Phaart that was mounted on the trailer box had been jettisoned, but was able to retrace my steps and retrieve it.  Still works.  I sense a cable-tie in its future.