Author Topic: Bivvying Tonight?  (Read 1204 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Bivvying Tonight?
« on: February 02, 2019, 05:32:05 pm »
Roll with the conditions, for a rare chance to see how the kit fares.

Probably walk out from home for a few miles and find a handy copse.  Should be fun ;D

I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Bivvying Tonight?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 05:41:11 pm »

Probably walk out from home for a few miles and find a handy copse.  Should be fun ;D

You’re mad! I’m only a few miles away and it’s already subzero here

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 06:18:52 pm »
No the nicht - forecast to be freezing conditions up here in Fifeshire.

I do have a plan on doing some like bike and bivvying in the spring / summer, I have found a location which is just a few miles on the MTB away :-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 10:46:23 pm »
You'll have to change your name to Ötzi.  :o
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

'breff

• M' back!
  • Head Banger.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 10:52:29 pm »
Bit too cold for me tonight. Still wearing shorts but had to put a big jumper on today.
Interested in pic's and kit list though.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 07:00:33 am »
I wussed out - walked the total of 30', to the top of the garden. setting up around 11:30.  Slept 'til about 6am, waking every couple hours (one Wowbagger ;D) - clear skies, pretty twinkling stars :thumbsup:

Brrrr...got distinctly cool between 3-6 where upper surfaces contacted, mainly due to the condensation freezing inside the Hunka, and starting to affect the Ember insulation - would've been better under tarp / tent, having distinct air gap, defintely wasn't as chilly on Tan Hill in the tent.

>Interested in pic's and kit list though.
Tramped the SNO down.  Plastic tarp as groundsheet, Hunka XL, Exped Synmat HL Winter LW, 9cm thick (-18c rating), S2S Ember III quilt (-11c rating).  Worn: Fulke Mountain Men Socks, Leggings (+thin Trolls from ~5am), Helly base layer, Fleece, Bobble hat.   Never needed gloves.  Laces on boots froze, despite being wrapped in bags.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 07:11:22 am »

The stranger in yer garden ain't a tramp ;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 10:17:51 am »

The stranger in yer garden ain't a tramp ;D

I’m sticking with tramp ;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 08:55:15 pm »
I wussed out - walked the total of 30', to the top of the garden. setting up around 11:30.  Slept 'til about 6am, waking every couple hours (one Wowbagger ;D) - clear skies, pretty twinkling stars :thumbsup:

Brrrr...got distinctly cool between 3-6 where upper surfaces contacted, mainly due to the condensation freezing inside the Hunka, and starting to affect the Ember insulation - would've been better under tarp / tent, having distinct air gap, defintely wasn't as chilly on Tan Hill in the tent.

Tramped the SNO down.  Plastic tarp as groundsheet, Hunka XL, Exped Synmat HL Winter LW, 9cm thick (-18c rating), S2S Ember III quilt (-11c rating).  Worn: Fulke Mountain Men Socks, Leggings (+thin Trolls from ~5am), Helly base layer, Fleece, Bobble hat.   Never needed gloves.  Laces on boots froze, despite being wrapped in bags.

ACB are doing a camping trip next Tuesday,  My kit is all with summer trips in mind, no way I'd want to use it in February!
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 09:52:31 am »
Yebbut it's to a pub...
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

'breff

• M' back!
  • Head Banger.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 10:47:33 am »

Well 'Ard!     

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 04:14:34 pm »
Found the Hunka great in wet conditions, above and below, but wont let condensation disperse from inside... Hence feeling cold by morning or wet if too warm in the night. Gone with a MSR e-bivvy that is plastic on bottom and not so on top. It fends ok in drizzle. When really wet we use a lightweight Rab tarp anyway. Not such an affordable set up as Alpkit, but having suffered a few times I did not mind shelling for a good night sleep. Not crazy enoigh to go out just yet though! 😀
What? Turn left that way?