Author Topic: Used Parts Storage  (Read 1323 times)

Used Parts Storage
« on: March 10, 2019, 10:51:18 pm »
I have recently had a fairly radical upgrade of my drive train, leaving me with a number of spares that I would like to store carefully and rust free.  My handle is a giveaway as to my level of knowledge in this area.  What is the best way, is gentle lubrication then oil cloth and a plastic box a reasonable answer?

Re: Used Parts Storage
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 08:28:09 am »
That sounds good to me - beats what I do, Chuck everything in a box, forget what you have, and buy the same things again.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
    • Bailey
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 09:34:10 am »
Sounds good. Be aware that any bike parts with rubber components won't like being stored airtight as the rubber will devulcanise and go sticky.

I stored bike bits in cardboard boxes in an outbuilding for a while and got concerned about corrosion so brought the boxes into the house.

I figured they need to be really clean, as rust would have a field day stored in the presence of grime/grit/salt. Particularly an issue for derailleurs. A toothbrush and some solvent gets a rear der clean enough.

If you amass enough parts in your hoard, you might want to get boxes with the same size footprint so that they stack. That saves a surprising amount of space.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:59:36 am »
if you get enough parts in your boxes, you might as well look for a frame to hang them on, (N+1)  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 06:39:20 pm »
Plastic boxes (Tupperware equivalent - even old takeout boxes would do) add a small sachet of dessicant for additional security, would probably be OK.
If they're in the house, they'll probably be fine.
I tend to give a quick squirt of WD40, wipe down with a soft cloth and drop them into a padded envelope. I have a little niche under the stairs...