Author Topic: Using a phone instead of a GPS device  (Read 1774 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Using a phone instead of a GPS device
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 01:34:02 pm »
That looks like a goodun, I'll be interested to see how your findings go :thumbsup:
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 11:16:32 am »
Oruxmaps looks very good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLMBNsaK2pA

I don't think it has a lap button but it ticks every other box.  In particular, the map display that you get with data fields seems as good as OSMAnd.  That is really what I want, to be able to see a proper map when I am cycling.  Cost is £3.39 so I expect I'll buy it and set it up when I have a minute. 

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2020, 11:24:12 am »
I use maps from https://www.openandromaps.org/en for Oruxmaps which are really excellent.  They will install automatically into Oruxmaps if you download them on the same device.  You can configure the map theme through Oruxmaps to further refine the map display and  also there is a POI database as a separate download from the same site which is astonishingly good, enabling you to carry out an offline search for whatever it is you're looking for be it the nearest "Spoons" or public loo :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 08:15:16 pm »
My replacement GPS unit hasn't come in time for a grimpeur tomorrow, so I'm going to be using my phone. I'm going to navigate using Strava to try to record the ride, but if it doesn't work I've also loaded it into Komoot.

We'll see how it goes....
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2020, 08:11:50 am »
What are y'all using to attach the phone to the bike / waterproof it?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2020, 10:22:22 am »
Quad Lock. Tried others and this is streets ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2020, 11:41:35 pm »
There are an increasing number of phones available that are rated to IP68 available that negate the use of a waterproof case.  In terms of a mount I use a modified Topeak Ridecase and mount which can be picked up very inexpensively, typically as NOS for obsolete models of phone.  The Ridecase is a basically a back shell for a specific model of phone but can be adapted to fit any phone by cutting away the raised edges of the Ridecase frame and bonding the carbon fibre back plate to the remaining frame with epoxy.  The phone can then be attached to the modified mount using self adhesive velcro strips.  It provides a surprisingly neat, secure and versatile mounting option as the ride case mount allows the phone to be mounted on either the steerer top cap or handlebars and can be tilted and rotated.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:24 pm »
+ 1 for Quad Lock, mine stays in its case all the time on and off the bike. I get about 8 hours out of my Galaxy S8 running RWGPS in aeroplane mode, 12+ hours if I fanny about with brightness, battery optimisation etc. I like the functionality of RWGPS but have had issues with it not downloading all the map tiles for off-line use, despite saying it has (and it's done this on more than one phone). OSMAnd is great for Nav only but a bit more battery hungry. Viewranger is great for OS mapping but cuts batter life to a few hours on my phone. I run a small Giant computer for instant speed/distance/cadence so I can have the phone screen only come on for navigation prompts. I'm still not 100% settled on the phone solution but nothing that's come out in the GPS market has persuaded me to switch back.

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 05:47:06 am »

I have a box full of mounting kits. 
For the TCR last year I used velcro, which worked well. 
There are various proprietary systems, eg Rokform, Quadlock, Topeak, and lots of cheap solutions on eBay.  What currently seems to be the most popular is to use a Garmin mount.  You can get a stick-on bit to go on the back of your phone (put it on a removable case) for a couple of pounds.
Waterproofing is a bit more tricky.  My plan is to use a dedicated waterproof phone (should arrive any day now - but seems less relevant than when I ordered it a few weeks ago).  Otherwise, there are various options which use either plastic bag or tupperware technology in some form.