Author Topic: SeaShore 200 25th July  (Read 4604 times)

Re: SeaShore 200 25th July
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2020, 06:04:42 pm »
Offer of route check is still there if needed/wanted.

GdS

• I'm from the factory
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2020, 06:52:03 pm »
Thanks; much appreciated  :thumbsup:

GdS

• I'm from the factory
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2020, 09:03:20 pm »
Did a route check of the intended route today to kick off my 2020 RRTY  :thumbsup:

Apologies for the Leigh- Heathfield section it's pretty brutal (by my standards although not done more than 160 in 4 months) but better than last year's and there isn't really any way to avoid that ridge in order to get to the coast. The Cuckoo Trail may not be to everyone's taste but it's hard surface the whole way. Total climb about 1900m which is way out of AAA but still a bit of a work out

The Leigh post office 52k control was a welcome surprise cheap flapjacks and an even cheaper coffee machine! (£1)  :P

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2020, 12:13:35 pm »
A couple of us took advantage of what might be the last sunny weekend of the year to do this as DIY on Sunday. 

Strong headwinds made the first part to Leith tough.  Unfortunately the Post Office there shuts on a Sunday, so no chance to sample the flapjacks and instead stopped at the Waitrose at Heathfield after what was also a very tough and undulating section.  As pointed out, the Cuckoo Trail surface is fine, but don't expect to go fast with all the barriers, road crossings, nervous cyclists, children, dogs and ponies around.  Enjoyed the seafront section, again need to watch out for pedestrians but generally not too crowded.  More difficult was trying to work out which bit is actually a cycle lane, particularly as they seem to be putting in new (covid social distance related) cycle facilities as we speak.  Unfortunately hit a pothole not long before home, but just a few grazes on me and a new bar tape on the bike to sort out and will be fine.

GdS

• I'm from the factory
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 08:12:59 am »
As with last year's event there's no easy way of avoiding the high ridge between Ashdown Forest and Heathfield in order to reach the South Coast. I thought Beachy Head and Birling Gap were an important addition for a calendar event.

I have various DIY mandatory route versions which avoid a lot of that hilly area if you are interested, mostly they turn at Exceat near Seaford.

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2020, 08:55:59 pm »
Agreed - worth a few extra hills for more sea views!