Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 17755 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #325 on: May 11, 2020, 08:03:55 pm »
.... in Aldi they had a double wall-board with a set of lidless hook-on boxes ....

Well, it was Aldi

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2020, 08:05:47 pm »
You should keep the taps separate from one another.

'tis the BRITISH way   ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfHgUu_8KgA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HfHgUu_8KgA&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/HfHgUu_8KgA
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #327 on: May 11, 2020, 09:33:45 pm »
You should keep the taps separate from one another.

'tis the BRITISH way   ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfHgUu_8KgA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HfHgUu_8KgA&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/HfHgUu_8KgA

Our student digs was an old house with the attic tank.  We thought nothing of it until I came back after the hols a day or so early and ran a bath.  Out came tiny bones and feathers.  I got into the attic and, yes there was a dead pigeon in the tank, very very dead.  Well rotted in fact.

Some one hadn't bothered to replace the lid and Percy the pigeon was not a swimmer.  It was not a nice job draining and clearing the tank but I was awarded a bottle of whisky (Chivas Regal) out of it from my housemates who then helped me drink it in one session. 

Very pleased to ditch the tanks in our York house.
Sic transit and all that..

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #328 on: May 11, 2020, 11:35:34 pm »
Everyone needs a prodder. You know a nice big screwdriver for prodding stuff you really don't want to touch yourself as its either very dirty or too close to dangerous whirly bits.

So here is a nice one I picked up at a car boot sale last year for 50p.

It's a nice Stanley 25c, about 40cm long. Probably about 50 years old and someone has definitely been using it as a paint can opener.

<Snip>

So you still need a prodder?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2020, 09:44:19 am »
This one's a bit past that sort of restoration.  It's a Marples apparently.  Very effective still despite no regrinding for years.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #330 on: May 12, 2020, 09:56:40 am »
.... in Aldi they had a double wall-board with a set of lidless hook-on boxes ....

Well, it was Aldi

;D
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #331 on: May 12, 2020, 10:07:50 am »
This one's a bit past that sort of restoration.  It's a Marples apparently.  Very effective still despite no regrinding for years.

That ones perfect for a restoration. So long as the shafts straight it will be great. An hour or so with a wire wheel a buffer and a scraper and it will be nice and shiny any ready for a re spray or just a shellacking of the handle dependant on your taste.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #332 on: May 12, 2020, 10:25:01 am »

That ones perfect for a restoration. So long as the shafts straight it will be great. An hour or so with a wire wheel a buffer and a scraper and it will be nice and shiny any ready for a re spray or just a shellacking of the handle dependant on your taste.

Yeah. I have one like that, that was my father's, but someone had used it as a lever and it's off-true.  That flat bit of the shaft is vulnerable.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #333 on: May 12, 2020, 10:43:55 am »

Yeah. I have one like that, that was my father's, but someone had used it as a lever and it's off-true.  That flat bit of the shaft is vulnerable.

I've got one too which belonged to my father.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #334 on: May 12, 2020, 12:12:53 pm »

I've got one too which belonged to my father.

That would have belonged to my grandfather.  He liked good tools and left a lot of good stuff to my father who didn't respect such things and always bought cheap if he had to.   I did tidy that up because it had been used as a cold chisel and the handle was rough but it's fine as it is and will snap screws before it slips.  I have two drivers of last resort of which it one, the other is for cross headed screws.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #335 on: May 13, 2020, 11:00:47 am »
I've just bought a set of Cobalt drill bits. They're so.... perfect!
1mm - 10mm in 0.5mm increments.

Let's hope I don't snap any.
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.