Author Topic: Pavement parking  (Read 4393 times)

Re: Pavement parking
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2019, 08:47:05 am »
... or just allowing parking on grass
Something I first noticed way back in the 90s was in some estates, all the grass is actually concrete. That is, it's grass but it's growing through a concrete grid. Presumably to stop it getting churned up by car wheels, but it also makes it very difficult to walk on.

I think that's called Grasscrete. I suppose it's more robust than ordinary turf. I think it's also used on camping sites, which is a pain if you're using tent pegs.

It works quite well on the Saxon Shore Way between Beltinge and Reculver in Kent - a popular walking (and cycling) route which, in wet weather, would become a marsh.

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2019, 09:04:32 am »
They do. Though you wouldn't know from the way most people drive. For some reason even basic courtesy evaporates once you move at a speed beyond that of walking pace.
Rule 170, at least in my copy.
Take extra care at junctions. You should watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way.
Weak rule even if it were acknowledged.
London cabbies almost universally ignore this one and typically issue a pre-emptive parp parp before turning into a side road where there is a pedestrian already crossing.
Rust never sleeps

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2019, 09:50:05 am »
They do. Though you wouldn't know from the way most people drive. For some reason even basic courtesy evaporates once you move at a speed beyond that of walking pace.
Rule 170, at least in my copy.
Take extra care at junctions. You should watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way.
Weak rule even if it were acknowledged.

True enough - I think you do need to be considerate and careful as a pedestrian also - there are scenarios were a militant and/or inconsiderate pedestrian does not even consider what is going on on the main road and condemns the polite motorist, allowing them to cross, to be rammed from behind my a motorist of the dickhead variety.

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2019, 02:22:57 pm »
Glanced out the window to see the cycle police handing out a ticket to an errant Santander bike rider. I presume for riding on the pavement. While I don't have a lot of sympathy for that, the pavement is, after all, right next to the superhighway that runs up Blackfriars Road.

But right behind them a van, parked completely on the pavement outside the building opposite.
!nataS pihsroW

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2019, 09:38:56 am »
Glanced out the window to see the cycle police handing out a ticket to an errant Santander bike rider. I presume for riding on the pavement. While I don't have a lot of sympathy for that, the pavement is, after all, right next to the superhighway that runs up Blackfriars Road.

But right behind them a van, parked completely on the pavement outside the building opposite.

Yebbut... everyone knows that motor vehicles magically elevate themselves on to pavements without any intervention from the meatsack behind the wheel... innit.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor