Author Topic: 2023  (Read 4064 times)

Re: 2023
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 11:23:30 am »
If When I do 2023

I have been wasting effort on some models, average speed, time at controls, eating, sleeping etc and as I am pretty full value I looks a bit daunting to keep up an adequate pace so have to work at everything, faster on bike, less time off bike.

The queuing does concern me as I am not fast enough on the bike to allow time to queue. Other than the essential getting card stamped is it practical to otherwise skip a control if there are queues, will I find food etc elsewhere that will be faster.

Also I am fairly much a big sleeper so this is going to be something I have to train to better manage. Everyone is different I guess but is it best to plan (longer) sleep stops or just take shorter as needed.

Fading is also something I have to work on, will look into a HR strap.
Ride more than plan:
Guard against the inclination to spend time planning which could be spent riding, this year, next year and in 2023 (NB hello pot, this is kettle!)
Speed as well as endurance:
Take care to ride shorter distances faster, as well as (or even instead of) long rides. And if you haven't got time for a long ride, nevertheless get out and have some (faster than normal) fun.
Reducing stop times:
After an audax or other longer ride, analyse the stop times and see if you can identify minor things to change to reduce time stopped. And then make those changes.
Queuing and feeding:
Don't fuss about the queuing. The control desks were very efficient. Water bottle filling at some controls was good: others less so - I suspect that will be better in 2023 [Edit to add: But always better to stop and fill up at a pop-up rather than waste time at a control, balanced against losing a group going at an acceptable speed.] And there's plenty of options for food elsewhere - and plenty of advice on here about that. Have courage to stop at cafes and pop-ups. Definitely the best food I ate. Quality coke and chips at 5 in the morning - Gorron; and a family (with AC Bristol connections) pop-up just north of St Meen le Grand around Monday lunchtime (400k-ish); and a delicious ham and pasta mix at Ambrieres-les-Vallees in the heat of Wednesday afternoon (followed by an hour's kip on white sheet covered mattress under an awning in their garden). 3+ years to learn a bit more French, perhaps.
Sleeping:
As you say: everyone is different.
HR Monitor:
I use one (and have done since 1980 for most physical exercise, both training and racing (running/orienteering). Reviewing data is interesting, particularly interval sessions. As @Phil w says, it can be used as a restraint on pushing too hard when there's a long way to go, and a visible (numerical) indicator when you're loafing.
HTH

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: 2023
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 01:25:43 pm »
Don't fuss about the queuing. The control desks were very efficient. Water bottle filling at some controls was good: others less so - I suspect that will be better in 2023. And there's plenty of options for food elsewhere - and plenty of advice on here about that. Have courage to stop at cafes and pop-ups. Definitely the best food I ate.

I spent far too much time at controls, not controlling but eating and other stuff all of which can be done elsewhere.
Understanding the different types of shops found in rural France is I think a massive help.

Also... Coca... no more bad cocaine jokes after asking for coke...