Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 148174 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #2225 on: 12 February, 2023, 12:50:47 pm »
Currently sitting and seeking the motives to go out. It’s a grey and dreary day out there which isn’t helping my search.

Well, I managed to get out, though I’m not sure why I bothered. 1.8k interrupted with, what I think is the first total stop ever, and two walks. It was as there was no room in my lungs for enough air. Horrid.

But, it was an outing and it counts.

I did break my pre-run routine though, so I’ll go back to that before my next outing.

I definitely need to lose weight. A lot of weight. It will help my running, and more importantly, will improve my health. So from tomorrow morning, I’m going to be logging my food, and we’ll wee how long I can keep that up.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2226 on: 13 February, 2023, 11:34:16 am »
Huge news for me, did my first continuous 5k in about 20 years yesterday, after 4 months of building up the distance of slow run / walking and a few failed attempts at ct5k in the past. 

Am managing to stay injury free this time (so far!!), probably because of all the slow run / walks and occasional weight training sessions.  Back to another month of plodding and then I've got a time to try and beat in March!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2227 on: 13 February, 2023, 11:44:23 am »
Congratulations Mike. It’s nice when a plan comes together.  :thumbsup:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2228 on: 13 February, 2023, 12:06:07 pm »
Another jog managed. Only 3.5 km. I'm taking it very steady until my muscles and joints get used to this again. So sticking to 3.5km jogs about twice a week plus dog walking until legs are toughened up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2229 on: 14 February, 2023, 08:26:33 am »
Reducing but still present knee issues have caused me to decide to stay off the running until it feels right.    There are no issues walking but yesterday a bus necessitated a short trot and I could feel the niggle instantly.

I have an idea for alternative activity if the knee-gle lingers long term.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2230 on: 14 February, 2023, 01:50:07 pm »
3k. I ran at a faster pace, but as a consequence did some walking as well. Over all though, my average pace was faster, and of course I got some more CV work in than usual. I might look at putting some structure into the intervals rather than just running until I have to walk, but we’ll see.

Day two of food tracking still on course  ::-)

« Reply #2231 on: 14 February, 2023, 04:23:01 pm »
3k. I ran at a faster pace, but as a consequence did some walking as well. Over all though, my average pace was faster, and of course I got some more CV work in than usual. I might look at putting some structure into the intervals rather than just running until I have to walk, but we’ll see.

I am the very opposite of an expert, but what worked for me was deliberately starting with an interval of running that I could do (1 minute run / 1 minute walk) then either increasing total running time or time per interval every time I went out. 

When I got to 30 mins total running after a couple of months (6 x 5 mins / 1 min), I increased the walk to 2 minutes and was a bit more aggressive in increasing both running time and total time over a couple of months, now I'm at 10 on / 1.5 or 2 off for up to 2 hours.  I expect I'll stay at 10:1 for another few months and very slowly increase the speed of each 10, with only the very occasional longer continuous run.  I want to keep the walk breaks because I'm bloody heavy and I think it gives my joints a bit of a break.

The running is almost all really, really slow - 11 or 12 minute miles. I only do one faster session a week where I do some short 'fast' intervals (for me!) with 1 or 2 mins recovery between each.

« Reply #2232 on: 16 February, 2023, 10:35:02 am »
Enforced couple of days off now. I ran on Monday but Tuesday and yesterday were taken up with family work and travel. Now away for a couple of days and have not brought any kit with me, so hopefully will run or ride on Saturday pm.

Also, conceding that I probably need to do a bit more bike and a bit less run for a few weeks to try and persuade the last bit of plantar facitis to b***** off. Strength training has been helping so would be nice to be completely free of post run pain.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2233 on: 17 February, 2023, 02:02:56 pm »
Another 3k. I set off with the notion of doing 5/1/4/1/3/1/2 but the 4 proved to be too much at the pace I was pushing and then I lost count a bit. I might try the same with 2 minute walks instead of one, and programme a session into my watch to keep track. It was hard, but I’m now buzzing so that’s a bonus.

« Reply #2234 on: 20 February, 2023, 09:33:30 am »
That's excellent, Beardy.

I'm away from home and have managed a 3km or so jog. The convenience of jogging is one of the things that makes it terrific exercise.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2235 on: 20 February, 2023, 11:19:02 am »
Did 5k yesterday, but after each km jogging I walked for about 30 seconds - just to ensure I didn’t overdo it as I’d had a couple of weeks off due to lurgi.  It went well.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2236 on: 20 February, 2023, 11:51:32 am »
Three more. Same route, which is getting pretty boring to be honest, but it does slow for comparative analysis so I’ll probably stick to it for the time being. Speaking of analysis, I started out rather too quickly,although I thought it was slow  :facepalm:, and I struggled to slow down at first. I did however manage to slow down without the need to walk, which pleased me given how knackered I’d made myself.

Weight loss report; slow, but I’m only supposed to be logging what I do eat yet, so that’s ok. Well it would be if I could even manage to do that!

« Reply #2237 on: 20 February, 2023, 11:56:34 am »
Did 5 miles yesterday, 3 miles the day before. Was a slog but no alternative if I want to get back to where I was 2 years ago, pre-covid, where 6 miles trail was my shortest and all I could think about was running.

« Reply #2238 on: 20 February, 2023, 03:50:39 pm »
Did 5 miles yesterday, 3 miles the day before. Was a slog but no alternative if I want to get back to where I was 2 years ago, pre-covid, where 6 miles trail was my shortest and all I could think about was running.
[/b]
:)

« Reply #2239 on: 20 February, 2023, 03:51:31 pm »
Failed to do anything at the weekend and so ignores my own advice and ran 5 miles at lunchtime.

Maybe bike tomorrow…

« Reply #2240 on: 20 February, 2023, 09:37:17 pm »
I am pleased that I made the decision to let my knee have time to recover.  It is almost 100% again but still not quite there.  Slumping as I am just now with my right calf resting across my left knee (one of my usual chilling poses) I can feel a slight tightness in my right knee.  It no longer disturbs my sleep nor does it give me any concerns when walking.

Roll on March 1st...   

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2241 on: 22 February, 2023, 11:11:58 am »
You just need to go out regularly it seems, and the rest will follow. Today was the first two day run since I restarted with three and four days having been the norm. I’m not saying I’ll stick to two days, but it’s an improvement.

I also controlled my starting pace a lot more actively this morn, meaning I both ran further before walking and the second km was faster than it has been. The run over all was faster as well.

Same route again, which IS getting boring, but it works. So that’s another 3k to log   :)

« Reply #2242 on: 22 February, 2023, 11:57:52 am »
Excellent Beardy!

« Reply #2243 on: 23 February, 2023, 08:36:50 am »
Two sessions since I got to York. There is a loop I used to run when I lived here that goes through the local park - it is about 30% off-tarmac, so a bit easier on joints. Did that loop twice on Sat and 3 times this morning.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2244 on: 23 February, 2023, 11:03:00 am »
Two sessions since I got to York. There is a loop I used to run when I lived here that goes through the local park - it is about 30% off-tarmac, so a bit easier on joints. Did that loop twice on Sat and 3 times this morning.
Its quite flat in York from what I remember, but I bet that apparent flatness hides some sneaky inlclines that only really appear when you are running  :o

Well done for motivating yourself while away from home Mr C.  :thumbsup:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2245 on: 24 February, 2023, 10:19:32 am »
It’s cold and grey out there… finding the tuits to go for a run is going to be challenging.

« Reply #2246 on: 24 February, 2023, 10:20:26 am »
I'm going in a bit

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2247 on: 26 February, 2023, 01:42:52 pm »
Two days late, but I went out. It was hard today, and a bit slower than Wednesday, but only the one walk. It seems to be my breathing that is limiting me as my HR isn’t especially high and my legs feel ok. I do have a perpetual cough at this time of year and I have an appointment with the doc on Tuesday to discuss that so maybe I’ll bring up my breathing as well. But it’s another 3k which I enjoyed so I’m happy.

I think I’m also going to have to talk to someone about my knee as well, though it seems overkill to discuss this with the doc. Weight loss is probably the best thing I can do for my knees.

Did you get out ok on Friday HF?

« Reply #2248 on: 26 February, 2023, 02:54:45 pm »
No, but I did 10k woodland trail yesterday without having to try to hard. Not fast @ 10min/mile, but I don't care too much about that. Used to be my shortest distance. Through the woods to an empty gothic mansion

Haven't done any stretching or strengthening yet, but will have to shortly I suspect.

« Reply #2249 on: 01 March, 2023, 08:26:47 am »
Managed another jog whilst away from home - stayed in travelodge outside Penrith and found a trail marked on googlemaps pedometer. Over a river on a bridge, through some farmlands, back to the other marked crossing . . . Ah, that symbol I didn't recognise, it is a ford. A very 'rural' one, just a faint path leading to riverside, then half-way to knees water across slippery stones.

Fun!
<i>Marmite slave</i>