Author Topic: 20" 406 tyres for recumbents  (Read 3361 times)

Re: 20" 406 tyres for recumbents
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2020, 04:00:24 pm »
Has anyone tried a Schwalbe Shredda or Shredda Evo on anything?

They seem to be available in 406 X 40, 44 or 50 in various places for sensible money and claim to be fast!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Rebuilding a PDQ frame to restart my recumbent collection!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 10:10:27 am »
Shredda can be very fast (at least in velomobiles) but puncture proofing isn’t so good.

I think they may no longer be made though.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 04:32:59 pm »
Whilst  investigating winter cycling tyre options I came across

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-gt-365

It looks suspiciously like the same stuff that goes on with car winter tyres. You can definitely see sipes in that tread and it has a winter compound.  Plus they do it in 406-40. So if you have a small front wheel recumbent you can add a winter tyre for more security.

Now who has it in stock?

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2020, 06:21:42 pm »

It looks suspiciously like the same stuff that goes on with car winter tyres. You can definitely see sipes in that tread and it has a winter compound.  Plus they do it in 406-40. So if you have a small front wheel recumbent you can add a winter tyre for more security.

Now who has it in stock?
It probabaly rides likes a brick with both those punction protection defences.

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 10:11:12 pm »

Now who has it in stock?
It probabaly rides likes a brick with both those punction protection defences.

Possibly but I’d only see it being used if a cold snap set in or snow on ground. So you’d could use that to stop front wheel slipping out, or decide not to ride instead.

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2020, 07:09:29 pm »
Finally fitted the Paselas for riding rest of the year.  Much more supple and lighter than the Marathons. Now warmer and it’s not like I’ll be riding very far anytime soon so puncture delays will be a non issue. Be interesting to see how they ride.

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2020, 01:40:52 pm »
Paselas seen almost 5 months use now. Despite lack of puncture belt only a couple of punctures in that time. Unfortunately one was a fast downhill which led to some scrapes on arm and leg. Running them at 40 psi.  They ride nice and I’ll probably keep them on till end of October / when the lanes get skoggy again. They handle light gravel reasonably well, though I would not try doing fast turns. Come November I’ll bung a 406-40 marathon back on the front.

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2020, 11:59:35 am »
Paselas seen almost 5 months use now. Despite lack of puncture belt only a couple of punctures in that time. Unfortuna tely one was a fast downhill which led to some scrapes on arm and leg. Running them at 40 psi.  They ride nice and I’ll probably keep them on till end of October / when the lanes get skoggy again. They handle light gravel reasonably well, though I would not try doing fast turns. Come November I’ll bung a 406-40 marathon back on the front.
Thanks for the update. The thought of a front wheel blowout on a bent fills me with dread. I can only remember one, which was with an old school Marathon, and fortunately I had time to recognise it and come safely to a halt. I've been running the Maxxis DTH folders on my trike (38-406) and on my Azub Origami (49-406) and have been very happy with the ride, the handling, and the lack of punctures so far. They are light but I can't say they are quick. I did a two week before after comparison with new Racers and they were 2% quicker but I was running them at 60 psi vs 45 psi of the Racers. TBH the new Racers with the deeper tread are pretty impressive.

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2020, 06:27:20 pm »
I have seen the Panaracer minit lite Are currently available in 32-406.  So might be tempted to get one to see how they roll. Though I’d want a faster tyre on rear as well to get the full effect if there is one.  For front I prefer wider on smaller wheel to deal with shit road surfaces of the UK.

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2020, 06:32:33 pm »
As to blowouts on fast downhill it doesn’t worry me as much as one would on an upright where head contact with a hard surface is likely. Scrapes to arms and legs in the recumbent case , whilst wanting to avoid, aren’t nearly as bad.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2020, 08:24:59 pm »
As to blowouts on fast downhill it doesn’t worry me as much as one would on an upright where head contact with a hard surface is likely. Scrapes to arms and legs in the recumbent case , whilst wanting to avoid, aren’t nearly as bad.

When it happened to me, I ended up under the front of an oncoming car.  Fortunately there was time for the driver to stop before I arrived there.

I counted myself lucky with the babboon arse and assorted bike/clothing damage.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2020, 10:29:01 pm »
I have seen the Panaracer minit lite Are currently available in 32-406.  So might be tempted to get one to see how they roll. Though I’d want a faster tyre on rear as well to get the full effect if there is one.  For front I prefer wider on smaller wheel to deal with shit road surfaces of the UK.
Had a Minute lite. Only 28mm width and rather fragile.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2020, 07:18:21 am »
I had Minits Tough and they punctured the whole time - 7 in 1000km. Gave up with them. I used to go 3000km between punctures with a standard Marathon.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2020, 08:03:36 am »
Minits Tough is more puncture-prone and slower than Minits Lite. The Lite is not at Marathon levels of durability though. On our Moultons, we would replace Minits Lite around 3000km, sometimes a bit over 2000km. Some folk want something more bulletproof than that.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...