Author Topic: Getting cycling fit again  (Read 55197 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Getting cycling fit again
« Reply #25 on: 13 April, 2008, 09:24:29 pm »
Just throwing in my two pence: you mention a 10-mile-a-day commute and weekend rides.  And turbo.

I hope you're factoring in some rest days.

And a rest day isn't "just the commute" or a pootle.  Rest doesn't count unless it's off the bike!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #26 on: 13 April, 2008, 09:46:55 pm »
I'd be happy to ride with you one day, I bet I'd be good for your ego! Are we both in Sarf London (I'm Stockwell)? I guess so as you've mentioned Richmond Park before.

I was never as fit as you to begin with from what I can tell, but I had a lot of various virus type things over the last six months (work got a bit stressful which IMO brought my immune system down) and the grand finale was coming off and breaking my elbow which meant a month of no bike at all. So I'm far from my best at the moment and building up fitness again.

Before my lurgies/injuries I used to tear along on my commute (as well as one can on a hybrid!) and was overtaking more and more and getting overtaken less and less, so I do understand the feeling of being back to square one, it is tres frustrating.

I've just had an enforced rest weekend because the hen night I went on has left me feeling shattered (and I didn't even drink much, because the cocktails cost a small fortune). I am very cross as I am trying to prepare for the FNRttC, as I am worried I will end up being an embarrassment  ::-)

alan

« Reply #27 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:00:12 pm »
We'll get you started next Sunday Alan  :-*

I'm looking forward to it :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:20:16 pm »
Just throwing in my two pence: you mention a 10-mile-a-day commute and weekend rides.  And turbo.

I hope you're factoring in some rest days.

And a rest day isn't "just the commute" or a pootle.  Rest doesn't count unless it's off the bike!

Nice to see you're echoing my 'one or two days off the bike, every week' upthread... :) ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #29 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:25:24 pm »
I'm used to Ravenbait's "any workout that didn't make me puke is a rest day" boneheadedness.  Repetition is good :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #30 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:49:32 am »
Ms P,

I'm in week 10 of not being on the road due to a busted collar bone

I have been turboing all that time.  While I'm confident that my lungs can do 100km at audax pace, how my shoulder will do is another question.

It strikes me that although you aren't happy about your current ability on the bike you are doing a 10 mile commute.  And as we all know when spring really arrives there is always a mysterious week when suddenly it becomes possible to go a bit faster.

I am trying to see this as an opportunity to do more short slow rides with my 11 year old daughter

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #31 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:58:50 am »
I remember that last lump on the Willy Warmer and can bear witness to the fact that you are/were fit and fast.

I find that in terms of motivation, setting yourself a cycling challenge that you think is going to be tough will help. Could be the Dun Run, could be an SR series, could be a TT, could be LEL.

In terms of getting back to fitness, riding with cyclists who are faster than you helps on that score.

H

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #32 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:24:49 pm »
I can relate to alot of this I hardly rode after April last year until late oct and then the change of weather combined with cold making the injury ache conspired against me .I havnt really got motivation back yet ,so I suppose what Im trying to say is I know how you feel and sympathise .Im riding with a couple of gents of this parish in a couple of weeks time and Its starting to galvanise my efforts ,perhaps a focus for something in the future is whats needed?

Tiger

« Reply #33 on: 14 April, 2008, 05:53:12 pm »
Go for length. You are a competitive type so you will always speed on short/mid length. So sign up for some 100/200k audaxes where you simply won't be able to do that. It will push you through the barrier of extending yourself over a prolonged period and as you recover you will feel stregth returning.

« Reply #34 on: 15 April, 2008, 09:05:12 am »
Well, I cycled really slowly to work this morning, but my legs were screaming at me.  :'(

It's only 4 miles for goodness sake. What is wrong with me?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 15 April, 2008, 09:13:38 am »
Well, I cycled really slowly to work this morning, but my legs were screaming at me.  :'(

Don't know but it probably will get better within a fortnight if you eat properly and rest enough (2 days off the bike every week for now).

See a doctor if your legs are still screaming in early May.

You might find swimming and walking pleasant cross-training activities.

« Reply #36 on: 15 April, 2008, 09:17:24 am »

Perhaps it's the cold. There was a frost here this morning. Perhaps 4 miles is too short to get the muscles warmed up. Walk around as much as you can - keep the legs moving.

« Reply #37 on: 16 April, 2008, 05:38:40 pm »

Perhaps it's the cold. There was a frost here this morning. Perhaps 4 miles is too short to get the muscles warmed up. Walk around as much as you can - keep the legs moving.

I wouldn't worry just because you aren't up to speed.
Especialy if you've been ill. I reckon that you can lose a months worth of fitness by not riding for a week. It takes a long time to get it back again.
Also as Ian says, the cold makes it much harder. 4 miles is harly enough for a warm up, never mind enough to test yourself.
The most important thing is to get out on your bike and enjoy yourself. Try not to think about your speed. Even if it means putting tape over your computer. Go somewhere new or somewhere you like to go. Enjoying yourself is the most improtant thing. If you don't enjoy it, then you'll stop.

« Reply #38 on: 17 April, 2008, 08:25:25 pm »
Hello Peliroja  :thumbsup:

The first thing I'd like to ask is: what do you consider to be a slow ride?  Having experienced first-hand your whizzy cycling ability I reckon your version of slow is still faster than wot people on here are recommending  :P

I'd echo much of what teethgrinder said...(and a lot of other good advice here too).  If you've been really poorly it can take a looong time for your body to recover, especially if you're working long hours and beating yourself up for feeling a bit below par.  If your body is telling your brain "please make her stop" but you're fighting it, it can make for a weary situation.

<long indulgent post alert>
When I moved from London to Devon I lost the plot completely for a bit, was poorly, depressed, got very unfit, lost my bike mojo and then made it even worse by forcing myself to get out and ride.

End result = hated my bikes and felt completely out of sorts with the world.  The final straw was freaking out 20 miles into the middle of a 30 mile ride (about 9 months after being able to do Dun Run style distances fairly easily) because I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to get home.  My confidence was shot to smithereens.

I had a couple of weeks completely off the bike. Then I had blood tests and blood pressure tests which were all ok, so far so good. Then I forced myself to stop thinking about what I'd been able to achieve, and started going out for pub rides, cake rides, picking-up-the-paper rides and gradually started extending the distance - always on circular routes so I was confident that I could get home.  If I felt like staying in bed, I stayed in bed.

I also limited myself to only using the middle ring for a while so I couldn't blast along and use up any energy too quickly. 

The end result was that I slowly got back to  form and the following year had my best year of cycling so far, ever.
</end of indulgent post>

So, if you think it will help, chat to the doc, slow down and try not to give yourself a hard time.

« Reply #39 on: 17 April, 2008, 09:57:33 pm »
...And as we all know when spring really arrives there is always a mysterious week when suddenly it becomes possible to go a bit faster.

Also, if you are struggling with motivation as well as fitness, choose a beautiful spring evening. Much like we've had today. Go somewhere beautiful to ride, in the country or by the river. Don't worry about speed, distance. Just revel in the ride you are having. Just let it happen.

Once you crack the motivation bit, the fitness will just return naturally.

Just my tup'penny worth.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #40 on: 19 April, 2008, 02:53:28 pm »
Hello Peliroja  :thumbsup:

The first thing I'd like to ask is: what do you consider to be a slow ride?  Having experienced first-hand your whizzy cycling ability I reckon your version of slow is still faster than wot people on here are recommending  :P

I'd echo much of what teethgrinder said...(and a lot of other good advice here too).  If you've been really poorly it can take a looong time for your body to recover, especially if you're working long hours and beating yourself up for feeling a bit below par.  If your body is telling your brain "please make her stop" but you're fighting it, it can make for a weary situation.

<long indulgent post alert>
When I moved from London to Devon I lost the plot completely for a bit, was poorly, depressed, got very unfit, lost my bike mojo and then made it even worse by forcing myself to get out and ride.

End result = hated my bikes and felt completely out of sorts with the world.  The final straw was freaking out 20 miles into the middle of a 30 mile ride (about 9 months after being able to do Dun Run style distances fairly easily) because I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to get home.  My confidence was shot to smithereens.

I had a couple of weeks completely off the bike. Then I had blood tests and blood pressure tests which were all ok, so far so good. Then I forced myself to stop thinking about what I'd been able to achieve, and started going out for pub rides, cake rides, picking-up-the-paper rides and gradually started extending the distance - always on circular routes so I was confident that I could get home.  If I felt like staying in bed, I stayed in bed.

I also limited myself to only using the middle ring for a while so I couldn't blast along and use up any energy too quickly. 

The end result was that I slowly got back to  form and the following year had my best year of cycling so far, ever.
</end of indulgent post>

So, if you think it will help, chat to the doc, slow down and try not to give yourself a hard time.
Baggy! Very long time, no hear!  :thumbsup: I am remembering the time we rode to Cambridge in June 2004 (was it that long ago?!).

Thanks for sharing your experience - it makes me feel a lot better. I think you are totally right about having lost my bike mojo! I used to love the feeling of powering up the hills, which made me love my bikes even more, which made me fitter, which made me love my bike more, which made me fitter... and All Was Good.

I guess one problem is that I live in central London, and so it's not that easy to quickly escape to the countryside and enjoy a little pootle on deserted lanes. Richmond Park is nearby, but it's full of lightning-quick roadies whose abilities on the bike make me feel inferior and crap.

Woolly and I were chatting to Naggers about this last weekend, and they agreed that - psychologically - I like to be in front, and hate being overtaken, so Richmond Park is not the best place  for me to get back into cycling. Rides along the Thames path I find more enjoyable, as no one overtakes me. So, Woolly is planning a 30-ish mile loop for me taking in the canal sometime soon.

Thanks, all, for the advice. I will try to measure my progress and let you know how I am getting along.

« Reply #41 on: 19 April, 2008, 09:44:04 pm »
Now, what is this Pilates uniform I need to get Woolly to wear?  :evil:

This one

alan

« Reply #42 on: 20 April, 2008, 09:50:05 pm »
Did a 100k audax today :)
Now i'm fit for nothing.
GillP gave me two tablets part way round saying they were Rennies.The subsequent burst of zoom leads me to suspect that they were Bob Martin's pills or somesuch :thumbsup:

« Reply #43 on: 20 April, 2008, 10:47:06 pm »
Go Alan! :)

I had a similarly energetic day. ;)

gonzo

« Reply #44 on: 20 April, 2008, 11:08:14 pm »
I'm following this thread with interest as I've been off the bike bar some turbo sesions for about a year now. 18 months ago I did a 205mile 12 hour, 12 months ago I soloed an 80 mile sportif at a touch under 20mph and now I doubt I could ride for more than an hour!

Never heard of active recovery? I was once told that this should be so gentle that you should be passed by grannies on shoppers! I find this harder than interals though, as I guess do you peli? So perhaps it's best to use the turbo for this?

Real roadies know that you need rest days and as such all you need to do is to make sure that they know that you're resting. Riding no handed whilst eating lunch is a particularly good way to say; "I'm not racing today". It is however tricky to ride for 4 hours whilst eating lunch!

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #45 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:58:52 am »

Baggy! Very long time, no hear!  :thumbsup: I am remembering the time we rode to Cambridge in June 2004 (was it that long ago?!).

Thanks for sharing your experience - it makes me feel a lot better. I think you are totally right about having lost my bike mojo! I used to love the feeling of powering up the hills, which made me love my bikes even more, which made me fitter, which made me love my bike more, which made me fitter... and All Was Good.

I guess one problem is that I live in central London, and so it's not that easy to quickly escape to the countryside and enjoy a little pootle on deserted lanes. Richmond Park is nearby, but it's full of lightning-quick roadies whose abilities on the bike make me feel inferior and crap.

Woolly and I were chatting to Naggers about this last weekend, and they agreed that - psychologically - I like to be in front, and hate being overtaken, so Richmond Park is not the best place  for me to get back into cycling. Rides along the Thames path I find more enjoyable, as no one overtakes me. So, Woolly is planning a 30-ish mile loop for me taking in the canal sometime soon.

Thanks, all, for the advice. I will try to measure my progress and let you know how I am getting along.

Ahh, those were the days. I had hair and everything...

Hiya, Baggy  8) <waves>

Gutted I can't make the canal ride on Sat, Peli.
I think it'll do you the world of good. 30 easy miles without really trying and you'll get to see a totally different side to London.

If you enjoy it; as I'm sure you will, we should organise another couple.
Maybe out to Rickmansworth or Watford and then back on the road.
Could do the same from East London out on the Lee Navigation.

« Reply #46 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:51:49 pm »
Why?  No need to feel guilty.   

If I told you when I last rode a bicycle you'd probably be slightly surprised.  :-[

« Reply #47 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:58:44 pm »
Yes, but you're dancing and swimming and I know not what!

The only exercise I'm getting at the moment can't be discussed in polite company ;)

annie

« Reply #48 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:01:35 pm »
Hello Peli, do you think you ought to forget about cycling for the moment.  I don't mean it won't exist in your life but it is bringing you very little enjoyment and you are finding it difficult due to recent illnesses etc.  Could you focus on something else.  Forget about the number of miles or speed or how often you are getting out, commuting or otherwise.  Let it just happen, a bit like being a child and just hopping on and having fun.

When we pressurise ourselves we often do not enjoy ourselves.

Today I rode for two hours with my friend, it was only her second time out on the road.  We pottered along at around 5-6mph most of the time.  It was a pleasure, I didn't really think of it as cycling.  Sometimes we need to be reminded that it isn't about the speed, the distance, the time spent on the bike, it is about what warms our hearts, brings a glow to our cheeks and makes us smile. 

If it means we need time off from running, cycling, walking etc then that is what we must do to allow our batteries to recharge, to refocus our energy and reawaken a passion.

Do not be disheartened. 

Little steps

« Reply #49 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:04:41 pm »
Yes, take the computer off!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.