Author Topic: Should I buy a year's Eurosport pass, or won't there be much to watch?  (Read 945 times)

Porkins

• Formerly Nick H. And a long time ago etc, Eurostar
I want to watch the Strade Bianche but I don't have any pay TV. If I stump up £40 for a year of Eurosport, will there be lots to watch?

Eventually yes, but they are struggling a tad with the sudden changes to the cycling calendar at the moment. The, so far, timetabled racing from Strada is not the whole race, but that may be shown later of course.
I’d advise against some of the Continental proxy feeds, for geo blocked race coverage of some Belgian racing perhaps - there’s something in some that feeds you access to a lot of stuff you don’t really want in your history!
In a normal year, the coverage is pretty good of a lot of racing, including women’s racing which is, thankfully, getting more air time lately.

I'm feeling optimistic, even if unjustifiably so. I've been trying to find a code to get a discount on the Eurosport Player Annual Pass. Anyone had any luck? I found that it can usually be picked up at half price with a bit of effort to find a code.

The GCN Race Pass (currently on offer at £19.99) seems good, with the bonus of probably better cyclo-cross coverage later in the year, Downside is that you seem to have to watch through an app, whereas I want to watch though a browser on my laptop so I can connect it to my TV. Have the days of free race coverage on GCN ended?

The current feedback on the GCN app is that it doesn’t work, on many devices or has issues. That’s feedback from a lot of people. I expect they’ll sort it, but by when?
They seem very coy about cost as well.

The current feedback on the GCN app is that it doesn’t work, on many devices or has issues. That’s feedback from a lot of people. I expect they’ll sort it, but by when?
They seem very coy about cost as well.

Thanks. I was skeptical. Now even more so.

Porkins

Eventually yes, but they are struggling a tad with the sudden changes to the cycling calendar at the moment. The, so far, timetabled racing from Strada is not the whole race, but that may be shown later of course.
I’d advise against some of the Continental proxy feeds, for geo blocked race coverage of some Belgian racing perhaps - there’s something in some that feeds you access to a lot of stuff you don’t really want in your history!
In a normal year, the coverage is pretty good of a lot of racing, including women’s racing which is, thankfully, getting more air time lately.
Thanks, I bought it. Be interesting to see if this roller coaster of a season completes, and who is still functioning at the end.

Re: Should I buy a year's Eurosport pass, or won't there be much to watch?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 08:12:01 am »
Enjoy!

It’s worth keeping an eye on the less “ social” hours schedules, occasionally a lesser known race pops up

Porkins

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 09:21:12 am »
I'm already pissed off - there still isn't a definite Eurosport schedule for today. And I don't know when the race starts, or where to follow it before Eurosport shows it. And the Eurosport Player on my PC doesn't let me record anything. I thought I'd get a bit more in the way of convenience and technology for my forty quid. 

e2a: the organisers say the race starts at 1.45 CEST, whic is 11.45 here. I think. Finish is expected at 6.30 CEST, i.e. 4.30 here. https://www.strade-bianche.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Programma-Strade-Bianche-ME-2020-ITA-ENG.pdf

Eurosport say they will have at least 2 hrs live coverage. The programme runs from 3.30 to 6 pm GMT. So I don't see how they can show more than 1 hour live. FFS.

e2a again: hold up, my TV listings site is probably wrong. Eurosport say the prog is from 4.50 to 6.50 CEST. So it looks like they'll have 100 mins of live racing, then the prizes. 

Balls, I forgot about BST. CEST is one hour ahead of us, not two.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 09:43:08 am »
When it starts?  The schedule is on the race website.  The women's schedule is there too.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 01:00:34 pm »
I'm already pissed off - there still isn't a definite Eurosport schedule for today. And I don't know when the race starts, or where to follow it before Eurosport shows it. And the Eurosport Player on my PC doesn't let me record anything. I thought I'd get a bit more in the way of convenience and technology for my forty quid. 

e2a: the organisers say the race starts at 1.45 CEST, whic is 11.45 here. I think. Finish is expected at 6.30 CEST, i.e. 4.30 here. https://www.strade-bianche.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Programma-Strade-Bianche-ME-2020-ITA-ENG.pdf

Eurosport say they will have at least 2 hrs live coverage. The programme runs from 3.30 to 6 pm GMT. So I don't see how they can show more than 1 hour live. FFS.

e2a again: hold up, my TV listings site is probably wrong. Eurosport say the prog is from 4.50 to 6.50 CEST. So it looks like they'll have 100 mins of live racing, then the prizes. 

Eurosport player scheduling is a very fluid thing at the best of times, with this packed start to sport many sports will be pushed to later showing and highlights programmes. Re-start of the world superbike racing showing live taking priority this afternoon.

Note about the Strade Bianche, even the Giro does not get full coverage from the start on Italian TV so there is not much chance of seeing any other race from its start in Italy.  They honey pick the closing stages.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 02:55:45 pm »
My Eurosport Player says 4pm to about 6pm in UK time ( 10 minutes earlier start with just ambient sound)

Generally there would be more coverage I think, but contracts will have been sorted with other sports before the UCI revised the calendar.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 11:06:27 pm »
Bit late now, but I used to use Eurosport player, several years ago. There were issues with bit rates, and, as you've found, you can't record. There used to be a replay function, where you could watch some previous events, but without commentary - which was odd.

I did figure out a way of recording it, by playing on the laptop and using a screen recording program, but it was a massive pain as you had to be there at the right time to start it, so I rarely did it.

I ended up getting YouView through Plusnet, my ISP, with a recording box. For a fiver a month it gives easy to access to all the freeview stuff and catchup (iplayer etc.), plus a handful of "premium" channels including Eurosport 1 and 2 that stream in. They can be scheduled for recording like any other channel. At the time it was the cheapest way of getting a properly recordable Eurosport stream (other than dodgy boxes), and means that  in normal years we can record all the live cycling and catch up in the evenings, rather than just watching the one hour highlights programmes.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 08:23:54 am »

On your screen, in landscape, there should be an icon for schedule, that goes a fair few days ahead.
Trittico Lombardo on tomorrow 13.40 or so for over an hour - but always worth checking as they change.
Lots of previous years’ classics on earlier in the day.