Author Topic: TCR no8.  (Read 88672 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: TCR no8.
« Reply #650 on: 02 August, 2022, 09:02:42 pm »

Now the big question. How many people. Behind know that the ferry at Beshett is OOO?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #651 on: 02 August, 2022, 09:27:33 pm »
Marin is following the Olt river so he might be a candidate
Krystian and Pawel follow a more eastern course so they are heading for the other ferries.

« Reply #652 on: 02 August, 2022, 10:17:43 pm »
Marin is following the Olt river so he might be a candidate
Krystian and Pawel follow a more eastern course so they are heading for the other ferries.

That’s the route Christoph took, so hopefully aiming for same ferry,

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #653 on: 02 August, 2022, 10:36:34 pm »

Meanwhile 197 has taken the aqueduct across the river. This is allowed... But...

Well to get down on the east side of the river looks like:

Courageous choice of route...

J
--

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #654 on: 02 August, 2022, 11:25:21 pm »
Will Vousden (214) was somewhat fortunate today. In Bavaria on day three, he was in a collision with a motorbike. It damaged his frame. Day four onwards, it started creaking, he thought it was the headset bearings. It got worse today, and on "the descent from the first summit of the Transalpina, the bike started wobbling in a very unsettling way.

I stopped the bike and discovered an open crack running almost the full circumference of the downtube. I was extremely lucky to notice it when I did, as one more switchback would have caused the frame to fold in half beneath me.". Eek!!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #655 on: 02 August, 2022, 11:56:16 pm »
McNasty wouldn’t have let a minor mishap like that put him off ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #656 on: 03 August, 2022, 01:18:57 am »

Meanwhile 197 has taken the aqueduct across the river. This is allowed... But...

Well to get down on the east side of the river looks like:

Courageous choice of route...

J

woah.
well I guess he's a mountain biker so used to taking headers down a drop.
I guess at the pointy end he's carrying bugger all too  so that should help with the portage.
My rig....not happening.
Or you could play "how did the frog, the dingo and the giraffe all get across the river" and strip all the bags off.

often lost.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #657 on: 03 August, 2022, 11:53:25 am »
Christoph has done it. 9 days, 14 hours, 4578.62 km. Wow.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #658 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:02:47 pm »
Christoph has done it. 9 days, 14 hours, 4578.62 km. Wow.

That's not far off 500km a day... he clearly has a superior pace... if he managed to ride 42.5 km/h in his 24h record, he can probably cruise at 30km/h without much effort on normal roads, which leaves quite a lot of time for sleep and faff.

Edd

« Reply #659 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:18:18 pm »
I'm guessing that's his tracker distance, his actual ridden distance is probably even longer! Stopped tracker time of ~1d 19.5h or ~4.5h a day.
I thought he might take more rest last night seeing as his nearest competitors were stuck the other side of the Danube

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #660 on: 03 August, 2022, 01:07:07 pm »
I can't say I'm surprised, but that's an impressive win.  Well done Christoph!

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #661 on: 03 August, 2022, 02:03:41 pm »
Anyone know the total m climbing he did on that mega ride?

« Reply #662 on: 03 August, 2022, 02:23:43 pm »
Very smartly raced.
He pre recced the unknown parcour in TransAlpina.  Rode within his considerable abilities in the early stages but stayed in touch with the leaders, and learned new unsupported skills on the fly. Put the hammer down in the final quarter and no one had the horsepower to stay his pace.
Anything can happen on a big complex event like TCR, but barring major mechanicals/injury I can't see anyone out there who could compete with that power and focus.
Perhaps Abdul Zeinab.

Its early days but so far it appears to have been a very well thought out and smoothly run edition, Im so glad about that after the previous cancellations.
It will be interesting to hear the stories and reports from the road once all the riders are in and have had time to digest.

The extreme parcour in Romania has caused some online consternation, but poersonaly I like the added spice and mental challenge it adds to the race.
I'm not too thrilled with the ferry lottery, but I imagine its a necessary encumbrance to keep the race within safety margins and also run it way down to that neck of the woods.
often lost.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #663 on: 03 August, 2022, 03:50:06 pm »
Very smartly raced.
He pre recced the unknown parcour in TransAlpina.  Rode within his considerable abilities in the early stages but stayed in touch with the leaders, and learned new unsupported skills on the fly. Put the hammer down in the final quarter and no one had the horsepower to stay his pace.
Anything can happen on a big complex event like TCR, but barring major mechanicals/injury I can't see anyone out there who could compete with that power and focus.
Perhaps Abdul Zeinab.

My only slightly negative thought is that the race has been one by a professional cyclist. When it started the race was all about the maths teacher racing the bike courier. Now we have riders who do this for their profession. Sponsored sufficient that they can take time to go across Europe to reccy parts of the course. None of its against the rules. And when we look at it James was sponsored by a private equity firm so he could focus on riding full time. So it's been going that way for years. What always appealed to me with ultra racing was it was normal people competing. A maths teacher from Belgium, a computer geek from Helsinki, a cycle courier from London. Normal people taking on a most extraordinary feet. And whilst further back down the pack there are the Brompton, and the fixie, and the Romanian with an oma fiets and panniers (no really). The pointy end is now professional riders. I fully expect Lachlan Morton to be on the start sometime soon.

What Christoph has done is an awesome achievement. There is no denying that. I just wonder how fast some of the rest of the pack would be if they didn't have to worry about a day job.

Its early days but so far it appears to have been a very well thought out and smoothly run edition, Im so glad about that after the previous cancellations.
It will be interesting to hear the stories and reports from the road once all the riders are in and have had time to digest.

It will be interesting to see how the 9th edition changes. Given Anna is stepping back from running the race.

The extreme parcour in Romania has caused some online consternation, but poersonaly I like the added spice and mental challenge it adds to the race.
I'm not too thrilled with the ferry lottery, but I imagine its a necessary encumbrance to keep the race within safety margins and also run it way down to that neck of the woods.

Given the choice of the ferries or that parcour. I'll take the ferries please. Lost dot sent out an email today saying there is no expectation to be able to ride the parcour. Which IMHO on a road cydli race is just ridiculous. If the majori of riders can't ride the parcour, then it has no place in the race. We've seen this in the past couple of editions, the bonkers parcours in Serbia on the previous two editions come to mind. On number 6 one rider even left his bike at the bottom, walked up with the tracker, and walked back down again. In one edition Mike ran they had the military road in Italy, but the whole thing was ridable in road tyres. The last two Serbian parcours, and this Romanian one. Not so much.

Oh. And several riders at the pointy end crashed in the cp4 parcour. Not good.

J
--

Notfromrugby

« Reply #664 on: 03 August, 2022, 04:10:16 pm »
My only slightly negative thought is that the race has been one by a professional cyclist. When it started the race was all about the maths teacher racing the bike courier. Now we have riders who do this for their profession. Sponsored sufficient that they can take time to go across Europe to reccy parts of the course. None of its against the rules. And when we look at it James was sponsored by a private equity firm so he could focus on riding full time. So it's been going that way for years. What always appealed to me with ultra racing was it was normal people competing. A maths teacher from Belgium, a computer geek from Helsinki, a cycle courier from London. Normal people taking on a most extraordinary feet. And whilst further back down the pack there are the Brompton, and the fixie, and the Romanian with an oma fiets and panniers (no really). The pointy end is now professional riders. I fully expect Lachlan Morton to be on the start sometime soon.

What Christoph has done is an awesome achievement. There is no denying that. I just wonder how fast some of the rest of the pack would be if they didn't have to worry about a day job.

That is always the case... every sport starts as a bunch of amateurs and develops into some kind of professionalism. If you look at the time trial scene in the UK, Alf Engers was banned for many years from competing because at one point he had turned professional for a month or so... fast forward to these days and organisers are all excited if they can have Alex Dowsett entering their race... I wonder what poor old Alf thinks of this U-turn.
There is no way back, especially because the winner is not a professional in the classic sense, he doesn't have a contract as such, just a number of sponsors... maybe the all ultra racing field should be regulated or maybe not...

« Reply #665 on: 03 August, 2022, 04:28:10 pm »
Wild tangent.

The crowd I sail with are struggling to keep numbers up, for a dinghy that is wildly expensive new, and older models are less than competitive.

How do you keep the back of the fleet engaged when they're getting slaughtered by people who are effectively professionals ?

This is what they've come up with.

Platinum
Considered to be a professional sailor
Finished top 10 in a national championship (with an entry of more than 60)
Have finished in the top 5 of any national championship
Finishes in the top 8 at Salcombe Merlin Rocket Week

Gold
Does not qualify for Platinum
Has finished between 11- 25 of any National Championships (with an entry of more than 60)
Has finished between 6-15 of any National Championship (with an entry of less than 60)
Has finished between 9-30 at Salcombe Merlin week
Has finished in the top 10 of an Inland Championships
Automatic promotion if you win Silver Fleet at the National Championships or the overall Silver Tiller (season before)

Silver
Does not qualify for Gold
Has finished between 26-40 of any National Championships (with an entry of more than 60)
Has finished between 16-35 of any National Championships (with an entry of less than 60)
Has finished between 31-70 at Salcombe Merlin week
Automatic promotion if you win Bronze Fleet at the National Championships or the overall Silver Tiller (season before)

Bronze
Does not qualify for Platinum, Gold, or Silver
Rust never sleeps

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #666 on: 04 August, 2022, 09:26:22 am »
Top seven finished now, Fiona on the final parcours and nailed on for eighth. Bet she's a better piano player than them though...

« Reply #667 on: 04 August, 2022, 11:21:11 am »
Andrew now on final parcours

« Reply #668 on: 04 August, 2022, 11:23:39 am »
Michael Broadwith now closing in on Danube

« Reply #669 on: 04 August, 2022, 01:22:48 pm »

…Though not on a working ferry

« Reply #670 on: 04 August, 2022, 01:28:38 pm »

…Though not on a working ferry

He’s now heading in the right direction. Phew!

« Reply #671 on: 04 August, 2022, 09:31:01 pm »
Alan Parkinson now through CP3 and on parcours

« Reply #672 on: 05 August, 2022, 11:15:39 am »
Frank is having an amazing ride. He's not the fastest rider out there but really putting in the distance with long  TITS.
His tracker has his moving time at 76%, much higher than most.
The reported distance p/d is 327 km.  Im pretty sure that in past editions that would have you very much towards the front half of the race.
Im not sure on the validity of this new tracker info though. It all seems very high.
It may simply  be that the quality of the racers has gone up a couple of notches.
400 and up to 500 km a day for the racers that have finished. Unthinkable over that hilly terrain. Phenomenal.
often lost.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #673 on: 05 August, 2022, 11:29:41 am »

400 and up to 500 km a day for the racers that have finished. Unthinkable over that hilly terrain. Phenomenal.

The proliferation of these events has created a new beast, the ultra racer... realistically, it is now a "race" for 5% of the field... for the others it's about getting to the finish within the time limits... so a very long audax.

I remember reading about Mike's idea of unsupported racing and how this goes back to the pure spirit of it... reality is as far as I can tell, bicycle races were always supported, maybe not to the degree they are now, but there was never a time where races looked like TCR and the tales of men forging their forks at the bottom of the Tourmalet were not the norm.

« Reply #674 on: 05 August, 2022, 02:10:10 pm »

The proliferation of these events has created a new beast, the ultra racer... realistically, it is now a "race" for 5% of the field... for the others it's about getting to the finish within the time limits... so a very long audax.

I remember reading about Mike's idea of unsupported racing and how this goes back to the pure spirit of it... reality is as far as I can tell, bicycle races were always supported, maybe not to the degree they are now, but there was never a time where races looked like TCR and the tales of men forging their forks at the bottom of the Tourmalet were not the norm.
It is very pure racing - "who can get from A to B as fast as possible"! I do think the self-supported bit might be slightly overblown when it comes to riders giving each other a pump or some money, as we all know that if you're by the side of the road passing riders often offer assistance. But the rules do avoid things like domestiques, and certainly support cars.