Author Topic: 200km for £1, Jan 4th  (Read 662 times)

200km for £1, Jan 4th
« on: November 30, 2019, 11:17:05 am »
Spend a day at the sales, whilst out on your bike. Route specificly chosen for potential winter conditions. Hot & cold food/drink available at all controls, just in case the day is a bit on the chilly side.

The first stage heads north from Tewkesbury along Worcestershire lanes for a breakfast stop at Rowberry's Nursery. Then quiet rural roads through 'Shakespear's County' and lunch at M40 services (Warwick South). The rest of the ride is spent in the Cotswolds with an afternoon stop at The Old Mill Cafe in Chipping Norton. after a few more undulations the final part of enjoying The Cotswolds is descending Soudley hill to Winchcombe - The ancient capital of Mercia. The final dozen kilometers are a gentle 'warm-down as you traverse  The Upper Severn Vale back to The Royal Hop Pole in Tewkesbury, where Mr. Pickwick drank too much ale.

All controls are well experienced in catering for audax riders.

Instant validation available for this event, so no need for brevet return SAE, if you use GPS - route/track files supplied. Routesheet also supplied electronicly (MS Xls) - so no need for route-return SAE. Or go completely electronic and use paypal. I don't know how so much cycling entertainment can be crammed-into one ride for only a pound.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: 200km for £1, Jan 4th
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 07:23:44 pm »
 ::-) Yup, I'm in
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 05:26:20 pm »
I'm in, although I'll be DNS if it is icy, I well remember 2018, when the lanes on the first section were lethal, I went down in the dark and walked for a bit and another poor soul was walking in front of me when he fell over!

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 11:07:02 am »
That may have been me.... Landed on bike hard enough to bend a drop and write off front wheel, never knew my ribs were that robust  :facepalm:

Wobbled my painful way slowly via main roads back to home after that!

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 11:34:38 am »
I'm in and hopefully third time lucky.

2018 I was ill and DNS.
2019 punctures and and evil headwind on the last stage made me finish outside the time limit (excessive consumption of mince pies during December may also have been a factor  :-[ )

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:02:46 pm »
Please note that I will be giving riders a miserable reception when they arrive at the Chaddesley Corbett control.  I will also be holding up riders unnecessarily whilst I faff around attempting to find a stamp, then find my reading glasses, pretend that I cannot read the registration list to tick the name off and then complain to the participant that they are clearly inexperienced audaxers.  It's called audax tradition.
KIDDERMINSTER KILLER AND CLEE AUDAX, 20th July 2019; SOUTH SALOPIAN, 5th Oct 2019. http://beaconrcc.org.uk/audaxes/

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:20:42 pm »
I'd be in, but I'm a chicken when it comes to descending Sudeley Hill in the dark.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:27:51 pm »
Please note that I will be giving riders a miserable reception when they arrive at the Chaddesley Corbett control.  I will also be holding up riders unnecessarily whilst I faff around attempting to find a stamp, then find my reading glasses, pretend that I cannot read the registration list to tick the name off and then complain to the participant that they are clearly inexperienced audaxers.  It's called audax tradition.

I miss Chaddesley Corbett

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:44:41 pm »
I'd be in, but I'm a chicken when it comes to descending Sudeley Hill in the dark.
Try descending it covered in snow, sitting on your top tube 😩
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!