Author Topic: Thinking about a used 5G Note 10 Plus with a 4G SIM  (Read 390 times)

Porkins

• Formerly Nick H. And a long time ago etc, Eurostar
Thinking about a used 5G Note 10 Plus with a 4G SIM
« on: December 18, 2019, 07:35:56 pm »
I want a SIM-free Note 10 Plus and it seems silly to buy a new one for £999 when a nearly-new one is £600. The funny thing about the used ones on ebay is that 5G ones are the same price as 4G ones. (There's a £100 difference in the new price.) Apparently 4G SIMs work fine in 5G phones, so why not buy a 5G one? Maybe in 3 years 5G will be cheap and I won't need a new phone to use it. OTOH, 4G phones have two SIM slots, versus one slot for the 5G phones. Not sure why I'd need dual SIMs. Maybe there are other reasons to avoid a 5G phone, like battery life or testicle-killing radiation or something? 

Re: Thinking about a used 5G Note 10 Plus with a 4G SIM
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 04:08:11 pm »
I Not sure why I'd need dual SIMs.

Dual SIMs are so you don't need to carry two phones. If you have to have a work phone and your own private phone then you can get a dual SIM phone and it will use both. It will answer either number and you can choose which SIM to use when calling. I still have to have two phones though as the corporate mother ship insists on a phone totally locked into their security etc.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 04:54:38 pm »
Dual SIMs could also be useful for different networks. ie you can use which one has better coverage. Or if one network is cheaper for some things, ie a data bundle.

Though some dual SIM phones share the slot for the MicroSD card. So if you have 2 SIMs fitted, you can't add an memory card.

For buying a phone on Ebay, check whether it is a UK/Europe version. If it is a Chinese version, it may not support all of the 4G frequencies. And may have a different Android version, ie lacking Play store.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 08:27:01 pm »
Note 10 is a beast!
I've still got a Note 8 and it still impresses me.
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.