Author Topic: Demolishing a greenhouse ?  (Read 7733 times)

Re: Demolishing a greenhouse ?
« Reply #50 on: 20 June, 2021, 12:55:33 pm »
Looking at the pictures, and explanation that the glass is brittle and not removable (which I question) I'd probably get a large bucket, hold it under each pane, then carefully knock the glass into it (standing on a ladder obvs).   Whilst it doesn't look stable, it is at least still standing.

I'd systematically work my way across the glass, pane by pane, then take the frame down with a saw.

« Reply #51 on: 21 June, 2021, 09:12:03 am »
Unfortunately the 2 sides that still have most of their glass in place are hard against brick walls,  and I can't get at the outside ofnthem to remove the putty & then the glass.   If I try to move it there is the danger of the entire thing collapsing before I want it to.  I've got some of that sticky carpet protection film that was suggested, it's a pig to work with as it sticks to itself, but I might be able to cover the remaining glass from inside the greenhouse to try & control the fragments.   

I've seen the cut proof gloves & arm protectors.  Impressive videos of people running razor sharp knives over their palms, but I don't think they'll give any protection against pointy glass splinters.    Safety visor ordered.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #52 on: 21 June, 2021, 09:28:07 am »
Can't help thinking that you're over-thinking it all - from the pictures and what appears to be space in the garden . . . .  I would don boots, gloves and a visor and then using something like a long-ish garden rake start pulling the frame towards you (standing at the far end of the rake handle!) so that it self-demolishes.

Yep, you'll have a pile of broken glass and stuff to clear but at least it's on the ground and ready to shovel/load in a wheelbarrow to get to your skip  (if there's space and the environment was suitable I'd probably burn the wood on site!)

... I'm expecting criticism  :demon:

« Reply #53 on: 21 June, 2021, 09:33:58 am »
They have a dog, who they dote on.  I know who'll be blamed if he gets glass splinters in his paw!

« Reply #54 on: 21 June, 2021, 09:45:39 am »
And that is a good answer to a reasonable question. Good luck andrew.

« Reply #55 on: 25 June, 2021, 02:49:56 pm »
Just had a thought... If it's dangerous to get close enough to apply sticky plastic film, could you spray it with that sticky foam filler stuff using an aerosol mounted on a pole? 

You can get trigger heads which would make remote operation by means of a length of string possible, I think.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 25 June, 2021, 03:06:23 pm »
that sticky foam filler stuff

Now you have two problems.

« Reply #57 on: 25 June, 2021, 05:38:38 pm »
And it's done , with not a scratch or a drop of blood shed. Though I may not be able to walk tomorrow.

I donned my leather chaps & hard hat & carefully dragged all of the crap out.  I was then able with judicious use of force & the occasional application of a chisel to get nearly all of the remaining glass off.  Only 1 of the roof panels broke & bounced of my head !   Once that was done the thing became much wobblier, as it was only the glass that was providing any rigidity.   I was able to pull it down with a rake , and then twist the surviving joints apart before carrying everything to the skip. 

A lot of cleaning up had to be done.  Some of the glass had already been broken & there were lots of fragments mixed in with the ornamental gravel that had to be scooped up. 

I also managed to shift 2 of those huge yellow rubble sacks filled with garden detritus,  the remaining one is going to be a chore.  They've emptied the soil from several dozen old planters into it & left it out in the rain, it weighs a ton.  I can see much shovelling & wheelbarrowing tomorrow.

I needed a rest afterwards.   That's a rather strange thick leather apron, with integrated arseless chaps.  Not the type of thing I usually wear...

« Reply #58 on: 25 June, 2021, 06:02:10 pm »
I recon you are entitled to a decent supper tonight.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #59 on: 25 June, 2021, 06:09:06 pm »
I donned my leather chaps & hard hat ...

I needed a rest afterwards.   That's a rather strange thick leather apron, with integrated arseless chaps.  Not the type of thing I usually wear...
Trying to combine the builder and the cowboy looks in one:

...and ending up with, well:

No wonder you look so tired but satisfied...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #60 on: 26 June, 2021, 09:10:48 am »
Having clicked on links in this thread I am now getting advertising for some right dodgy-looking leatherwear  :facepalm:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #61 on: 26 June, 2021, 10:50:18 am »
but...

we can't see what colour trousers you have on!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #62 on: 26 June, 2021, 02:46:37 pm »
but...

we can't see what colour trousers you have on!
Trousers with arseless chaps ? Have you no decency sir ?

In further gardening news I’ve just upended a bin full of old plant cuttings into the skip. Unfortunately there was a bees nest as well & they ain’t happy!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #63 on: 26 June, 2021, 02:50:05 pm »
When dealing with a bees nest, it is probably inadvisable to wear arseless chaps.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #64 on: 02 July, 2021, 12:46:24 pm »
When dealing with a bees nest, it is probably inadvisable to wear arseless chaps.

I don't know, in some circles it might provide an alternative to canes and whips. Just gotta be careful not to bend over too far, wouldn't want to get stung on the balloon knot.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #65 on: 02 July, 2021, 12:51:46 pm »
Well done that man!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #66 on: 02 July, 2021, 02:39:14 pm »

I don't know, in some circles it might provide an alternative to canes and whips. Just gotta be careful not to bend over too far, wouldn't want to get stung on the balloon knot.

That Bee DSM Stuff......