Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 395319 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #4350 on: June 22, 2020, 03:07:18 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4351 on: June 22, 2020, 06:19:53 pm »
That there is in Australia a brand of starting fluid spray named Start Ya Bastard!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4352 on: June 26, 2020, 02:37:52 pm »
The song "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head" was written for the film "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".
It seems an unlikely combination....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raindrops_Keep_Fallin%27_on_My_Head

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #4353 on: June 26, 2020, 02:39:28 pm »
The scene involves a bicycle IIRC.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4354 on: June 26, 2020, 03:19:05 pm »
The scene involves a bicycle IIRC.

Indeed it does - I think Paul Newman rode round the yard while Robert Redford had his wicked way with Katherine Ross (lucky chap!)

« Reply #4355 on: June 26, 2020, 04:29:48 pm »
I am fairly sure that I've seen the film on TV but the only bits I remember are them jumping into the river to get away and the last scene, which is why I was a bit surprised about the song.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #4356 on: June 29, 2020, 03:46:55 pm »
Heaving around a 15-kilo bag of dog food is much easier when your hands are still tacky with the hydroalcoholic gel provided at the pet-shop door.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #4357 on: June 29, 2020, 03:56:48 pm »
That the German for 'Great tit' is Kohlmeise, which translates literally to English as 'Coal tit'. The German for 'Coal tit' is Tannenmeise which literally translates to English as 'Fir tit'.

The coal tit used to be called the Kohlmeiß or Kleine Kohl-Maise and the great tit either Spiegelmeiß ('multicolored tit'), Brandtmeiß ('burnt tit') or Grosse Meiß ('great tit').

Completely unrelated, the Booby (the gannet-like bird) is, in German, Tölpel, which can also mean 'idiot', 'foolish person' or 'booby'. I'm not sure if the English 'Booby', meaning idiot, came after the bird since,
the English name "booby" was possibly based on the Spanish slang term bobo, meaning "stupid" as these tame birds had a habit of landing on board sailing ships, where they were easily captured and eaten.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4358 on: June 29, 2020, 04:22:17 pm »
Now we need to know about blue and long tailed tits in German.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4359 on: June 29, 2020, 04:47:06 pm »
Boringly equivalent.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #4360 on: July 02, 2020, 08:38:35 pm »
That the last person in the world to die of smallpox caught it in Birmingham.
Janet Parker was the last person to die of smallpox. It was 1978, and Parker was a medical photographer at the Birmingham University Medical School in England and worked one floor above the Medical Microbiology Department where smallpox research was being conducted. She became ill on August 11 and developed a rash on August 15 but was not diagnosed with smallpox until 9 days later. She died on September 11, 1978. Her mother, who was providing care for her, developed smallpox on September 7, despite having been vaccinated on August 24. An investigation performed afterward suggested that Janet Parker had been infected either via an airborne route through the medical school building’s duct system or by direct contact while visiting the microbiology corridor one floor above.
https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/history/history.html#:
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #4361 on: July 04, 2020, 01:15:10 pm »
Learnt how to do the Rubik's cube today. Something that had been on my to do list for almost 40 years. When I was a kid, my older brother read a book and learnt how to do it, and I always assumed I would do it one day. All it took was 40 years, a global pandemic with lockdown, and more importantly a search on YouTube and 40 minutes spent watching a video. Luckily it's a skill that can impress my toddler

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4362 on: July 04, 2020, 04:58:52 pm »
That the German for 'Great tit' is Kohlmeise, which translates literally to English as 'Coal tit'. The German for 'Coal tit' is Tannenmeise which literally translates to English as 'Fir tit'.

The coal tit used to be called the Kohlmeiß or Kleine Kohl-Maise and the great tit either Spiegelmeiß ('multicolored tit'), Brandtmeiß ('burnt tit') or Grosse Meiß ('great tit').

Completely unrelated, the Booby (the gannet-like bird) is, in German, Tölpel, which can also mean 'idiot', 'foolish person' or 'booby'. I'm not sure if the English 'Booby', meaning idiot, came after the bird since,
the English name "booby" was possibly based on the Spanish slang term bobo, meaning "stupid" as these tame birds had a habit of landing on board sailing ships, where they were easily captured and eaten.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that the German for spoonbill is Löffler which is also a brand of cycle clothing.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #4363 on: July 04, 2020, 09:45:27 pm »
Didn't know the first part.

« Reply #4364 on: Yesterday at 05:36:12 pm »
That the (water cooled) motor on my pressure washer has a thermal cutout if you leave it on too long without the water flowing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)