Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 420486 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #4700 on: September 14, 2020, 09:21:39 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #4702 on: September 15, 2020, 08:28:58 am »
"Oh goody, let's have lots." - Connie Sachs
I hope, when I go to my grave after a few years of dribbling and worse, I shall still remember this milestone in the evolution of the televisual experience in the English-speaking world.  I thought the original series was simply life-changing, and the remake almost as good. I thank you T42 for reminding me.  I thank you JLeC for changing my world.  I thank you George Smiley, Control and the rest.  Simply stunning.

Ranks up there with the attack ships on the shoulder of Orion.

We aim too, please. ;D
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #4703 on: September 16, 2020, 10:53:56 am »
That the KEF Coda III speakers I bought are much bigger than they looked in the pictures on eBay. I really should have looked up the dimensions ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4704 on: September 16, 2020, 06:23:43 pm »
Pope Francis used to be a bouncer in a Buenos Aires nightclub.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4705 on: September 18, 2020, 09:51:28 am »
In Scotland they have 421 words for "snow".

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #4706 on: September 20, 2020, 06:54:08 am »
That Fenix (the lamp manufacturer) is pronounced Phoenix, and not Fen-ix
Reasonably Inconsiderate

« Reply #4707 on: September 20, 2020, 07:11:16 am »
Pope Francis used to be a bouncer in a Buenos Aires nightclub.
Also..... He only has one lung.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4708 on: September 20, 2020, 09:08:01 am »
That Butlins still exists.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

« Reply #4709 on: September 20, 2020, 02:40:11 pm »
That the second largest single use plastic waste culprit is car tyre erosion. Half a million tonnes in Europe alone.  Clever gismo invented by Students to stop this and recover the waste for recycling.
https://www.euronews.com/living/2020/09/20/student-s-invention-to-stop-microplastic-pollution-wins-dyson-award
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #4710 on: September 20, 2020, 03:28:06 pm »
The river that flows through Paris and continues to Le Havre should really be called the Yonne.  At Montéreau-Fault-Yonne, where the Seine and Yonne meet, the flow of the Yonne is greater than that of the Seine, which is therefore a tributary and should end there.

I've been through Montéreau-Fault-Yonne three times & been rained on every time.  Miserable hole.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4711 on: September 20, 2020, 03:53:48 pm »
The river that flows through Paris and continues to Le Havre should really be called the Yonne.  At Montéreau-Fault-Yonne, where the Seine and Yonne meet, the flow of the Yonne is greater than that of the Seine, which is therefore a tributary and should end there.

I've been through Montéreau-Fault-Yonne three times & been rained on every time.  Miserable hole.

Similar thing with the Mighty Mississippi.  The Ohio River has the greater flow at Cairo* IL, which is also a miserable hole, at least according to Illinois native Pokey LaFarge.

Also, the Fairly Mighty Missouri is longer above its confluence with the Mississippi.

* pronounced “Kay-ro”
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #4712 on: September 20, 2020, 04:05:57 pm »
The whole North & South thing, that.

« Reply #4713 on: September 20, 2020, 04:15:09 pm »
That the second largest single use plastic waste culprit is car tyres. Half a million tonnes in Europe alone.  Clever gismo invented by Students to stop this and recover the waste for recycling.
https://www.euronews.com/living/2020/09/20/student-s-invention-to-stop-microplastic-pollution-wins-dyson-award

Interesting concept, and definitely a problem that needs solving. What about roads with mud, snow, gravel and other debris on them? Unpaved roads with massive holes in them? I could definitely see this being applied first to large vehicles that stay on paved roads, and spreading from there.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4714 on: September 20, 2020, 04:54:14 pm »

Yeahbut.  That would ruin the "In Seine" joke.
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #4715 on: September 20, 2020, 05:09:20 pm »

If you pronounce it properly it's already buggered.

« Reply #4716 on: September 20, 2020, 05:09:57 pm »
Today will be the first time the Tour de France has been won on a Colnago that is visibly a Colnago -- their only other wins were when rebranded as some other make.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4717 on: September 20, 2020, 07:20:28 pm »

If you pronounce it properly it's already buggered.

But we're Brittons.  We don't let silly foreign stuff like correct pronunciation worry us.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4718 on: September 20, 2020, 09:40:05 pm »
The whole North & South thing, that.

Cartographers for social equality would agree...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/