Author Topic: Tent pole bent ferrules  (Read 237 times)

Tent pole bent ferrules
« on: May 29, 2020, 01:44:31 pm »
After camping out in the garden for the last couple of nights, I found my cheapo Aldi tent had split a pole. I decided to replace the GRP ones with alloy ones (as I have a stock of scrap ones.

However, the alloy poles turned out to be stiffer than GRP ones and the steel 'bent tube' ferrules deformed (they bent much more than they ought).

Has anybody come up with a better replacement for these, ofr a way of manufacturing stronger ones?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Re: Tent pole bent ferrules
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 02:48:01 pm »
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I think I have remedied the problem this morning.

I found a couple of M6 bolts with about 50mm of thread, bent them to the approximate angle, cut the head off and cleaned the thread up. I then took the ferrules out of a few scrap tent poles and tapped them M6 (they are only just under 6mm ID, so the thread isn't full depth). I screwed a ferrule onto each end of the bent bits of M6 bolt and tweaked the angle. A couple ferrule-less bits of tube were cut from scrap tent poles, and I had a quick try out with the inner - All seems okay.  :D

I just need to find a bit of plastic tube to cover the few mm of bent threaded rod, and act as a stop for the poles, Then I can epoxy elastic in the new, bent, internal-ferrules to complete the job.

Pictures hopefully when I am able to complete and try it out properly.  :thumbsup:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Re: Tent pole bent ferrules
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 03:21:48 pm »
Pics please. :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain