Author Topic: REI Co-op  (Read 1192 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
REI Co-op
« on: June 01, 2020, 09:55:41 am »
Has anyone used REI Co-op before?  I've just ordered some boots from them as the right size weren't available from the EU distributors.

They also seem to have lots of decent tents at good prices.   I'm tempted...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
Re: REI Co-op
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 10:33:31 am »
Thing 1, or was it Thing 2, used to work for them.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:37:35 am »
Yes, used them a lot when I was living in the States but I think I mainly used the store rather than online.

And 11 years ago...

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 11:02:06 am »
Similarly, when living in the States.  Mainly for clothing, both cycle and general outdoors.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 06:35:21 pm »
Yes, when I was in the States.

Hugely expensive and with an annoying "Let's all save the world in $400 plastic macs" vibe.

Regulator

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 09:37:42 am »

Hugely expensive and with an annoying "Let's all save the world in $400 plastic macs" vibe.

Interesting you say 'hugely expensive' as the shoes will be cheaper than buying in the UK - and that's including shipping and UK import duty.  Their tents also look to be slightly cheaper than buying in the UK.

That said, some of their clothing does look overpriced.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 09:44:21 am »
I thought the Seattle shop was expensive for most stuff, some of it very.  The marketing is quite focused on the american outdoor market segment. I can see where karla is coming from.
Its nice that its a co-op.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 10:04:25 am »
I remember that Seattle shop being built.  I lived there at the time.  A good community facility with meeting rooms and an MTB test track.  Like many US shops they have "open box sales" - unknown in the UK.  These are items that have been bought and returned.  I bought a very nice pair of walking boots for less than half price.  I think my main purchases were some very good woollen socks which I am still using in the winters 22 years later.  It certainly is not a bike shop in the sense of somewhere you would go for a Campag chainset for your carbon wonderbike, more general outdoors shop along the lines of an upmarket Go Outdoors perhaps. or maybe closer to Cotswold.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 10:11:38 am »
I bought a few small items in the Seattle store.  A large choice as I recall, but they were very keen to sign me up as a member.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 01:50:39 pm »

Interesting you say 'hugely expensive' as the shoes will be cheaper than buying in the UK - and that's including shipping and UK import duty.  Their tents also look to be slightly cheaper than buying in the UK.

But how do they compare with other US outdoor chains?
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Regulator

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 07:05:57 am »

But how do they compare with other US outdoor chains?

They were either on par with, or cheaper than, the other US sites I found stocking the shoes I was after (that would ship to the UK).

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 05:05:56 am »
Has anyone used REI Co-op before?  I've just ordered some boots from them as the right size weren't available from the EU distributors.

They also seem to have lots of decent tents at good prices.   I'm tempted...

It's worth mentioning that a lot of their merchandise cannot be shipped outside the US, due to restrictions imposed by the manufacturers. This includes most of the better tents. The REI brand tents can be shipped outside the US, and are decent value for what they cost, although import tax and overseas shipping might change that. The keenness to sign up members is due to a fair bit of pressure from corporate management. To answer Reg's question, I've done business with them for quite a few years, and currently work for them.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 07:41:54 am »

Huh, expensive compared to what?.
REI is amazing. Life time warranty on lots of stuff, excellent customer service, etc. Then on top of that they're a decent functioning co-operative, who put a fair amount of money back.
You can get some really good deal at off-season sales, but as mentioned, many brands can't be shipped out of the US.  (I get them shipped to a PO box just across the border and can zip across to pick stuff up...well, I could, before this virus thing closed the border).

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 08:26:49 pm »
Only problem is the customs duty if the PO apply it, been lucky but that was early 2000. Today its almost certain buying from the States, got caught out with the Revolution usb  charger a few years ago before SJS stocked them.

Regulator

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 10:23:19 am »
The shoes will be arriving via DHL on Tuesday next week.  I got a duty/tax notice from DHL (£35 in total) which was paid online.

Even with the UK duty/tax, the shoes work out about £15 cheaper than buying them from the EU/UK supplier - which didn't have my size in stock.

Now looking at discount tents from REI...

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2020, 11:04:49 am »
I loved REI when I was in Henderson. I didn't find them particularly expensive - they had a range of things at different prices. At the time, the tents were very American - short fly sheets and lots of mesh.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 08:13:02 am »
I'm also an REI fan. It's a must shop location whenever I visit family in Portland. Their 'garage sales' and 'open box sales' are amazing (ex-rental and returned stuff respectively). They also happen to have an amazing returns policy. I bought a pair of trail shoes ('fell shoes' did get a blank look) and was stunned to find that not only could I return them, after having run outdoors in them, I could apparently return them a full year after purchase, even having worn them extensively. Apparently people don't actually generally take the piss with that.

Some of the clothing is expensive, but no more so than other trendy outdoor clothes.

If you happen to buy in store, the staff are generally really knowledgeable and helpful. They'll give you lots of good info on where to hike, camp, snowshoe, ski etc., and what passes are needed, what's open etc. 

Regulator

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 02:02:12 pm »
Well, the shoes arrived this morning - 4 days earlier than expected.  They fit perfectly!   :thumbsup:

Green Party Councillor