Author Topic: Kinesis UK (crap)  (Read 2217 times)

Kinesis UK (crap)
« on: June 05, 2020, 11:19:35 am »
Bought my Kinesis 4s Disc bike in 2016, May 2017 cracked at the internal cable port so replaced under warranty (eventually) May 2020 cracked again at the internal cable port. As they only give a 3 year warranty on frames, (most manufacturers give lifetime on frames) I contacted them only to be told the warranty had expired !

Showed them proof that they replaced bike with same fault in 2017 but they said the warranty stays with the original purchase in 2016? which is bollocks ! Surely a new frame comes with new warranty? Not according to Kinesis UK or Upgrade bikes who own them. They said they might be able to offer me a frame but it will not be free or compatible with my QR wheels so I'd need new thru axle wheels too !
 Crap customer service from a crap company.

Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Re: Kinesis UK (crap)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 11:32:07 am »
That doesn't sound right in a consumer law kind of way.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 11:39:52 am »
Indeed it doesn't.
Jim, do you reckon it might be worth contacting Trading Standards, if you haven't already?

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 11:41:52 am »
It's normal that the warranty starts from the date of purchase not the date of replacement, so skip that avenue.

Likewise being offered an incompatible new frame is something other manufacturers do. I don't know how reasonable it is to assume they have stock of every old frame.

Them not being embarrassed / courteous enough to replace it outside warranty it is crap though. How much were they asking for the replacement?

Go kick up a stink on (non-backwater) social meeja.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 11:53:51 am »
It's normal that the warranty starts from the date of purchase not the date of replacement, so skip that avenue.

Aye. Certainly was under the old sale of goods Act.
The contract with the retailer/manufacturer* starts at the point of sale if an in-person sale or IIRC (and this is very sketchy memory) at the point of dispatch with mail order.

The regs have been rejigged though.

* You only have a contract with the manufacturer if you are purchasing through an agent of the manufacturer.

The Thru-Axle change will be down to a lack of QR frames and forks kicking around because they don't use QR any more.

I considered a Kinessis until I saw similar reports about breakages and service...

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 12:03:31 pm »
Indeed it doesn't.
Jim, do you reckon it might be worth contacting Trading Standards, if you haven't already?

Yeah tried that but sadly they can, warranty from date of purchase only. They're also now ignoring my emails and blocked me on twitter as i keep posting pictures of my bike on their page.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 12:13:36 pm »
Yeah Trading Standards won't touch this. You're after a goodwill / reputation replacement. If you've already burnt your bridges there then all you can do is try to embarrass them.

I note they upped their frame warranty to five years in 2019. Offering only three years was a bit crap.

Kinesis certainly have a reputation for cracked frames.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 12:16:36 pm »
Given that two frames cracked in the same place I would think that means they weren't fit for purpose in the first place. That should be a Trading Standards issue. If the thing is flawed from the start, there is no time limit to a claim, at least that's my understanding.
Rust never sleeps

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 12:27:28 pm »
Given that two frames cracked in the same place I would think that means they weren't fit for purpose in the first place. That should be a Trading Standards issue. If the thing is flawed from the start, there is no time limit to a claim, at least that's my understanding.

i know at least two other frames crack in the same place (one kinesis and one other make - both titanium) - seems a high stress area to be drilled out, or it needs to be adequately reinforced.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 12:54:21 pm »

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 01:28:32 pm »
You can retweet here https://twitter.com/jimmea4/status/1268863068802625539

Will do mate.  Im not exactly Stephen Fry when it come to followers on Twitter but hth. 

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 06:18:55 pm »

Yes, you are right, and have used this to get a refund in the past.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 09:34:52 pm »
Looks like a design or (6 sigma) manufacturing fault - they all do that sir. The port cutout seem to set up a stress riser and to affect the tube loading pattern. Given they’re alloy the rest is inevitable over time.

Out of interest how far have you ridden them and (sorry) how heavy are you? My Aithein has an 89kg weight limit and external routing, but it makes me think.

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 06:47:59 am »
Looks like a design or (6 sigma) manufacturing fault - they all do that sir. The port cutout seem to set up a stress riser and to affect the tube loading pattern. Given they’re alloy the rest is inevitable over time.

Out of interest how far have you ridden them and (sorry) how heavy are you? My Aithein has an 89kg weight limit and external routing, but it makes me think.

About 8000km's on the first and approx 17000kms on this one. Rider weight has varied from 85-93kg

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 10:07:59 am »
Today a lot of cycling gear is classed as consumables, bikes included as fashion dictates what sells. Should have gone to Shand or down south and have a framebuider eye you up for a suitable machine. Your weight means nothing its the ability to absorb the kinetic energy when the bike hits something like a pothole. 17000km on the urban roads of Glasgow, why not just say bought the wrong bike.

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 10:16:01 am »
And another point about your weight, its you and all the junk in the saddlebag etc. Thats why Reynolds done stronger double butted tubes called ST for the tourists 😁

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 11:03:29 am »
Today a lot of cycling gear is classed as consumables, bikes included as fashion dictates what sells. Should have gone to Shand or down south and have a framebuider eye you up for a suitable machine. Your weight means nothing its the ability to absorb the kinetic energy when the bike hits something like a pothole. 17000km on the urban roads of Glasgow, why not just say bought the wrong bike.

Possibly because Shand charge £1900 for a frame made from 1930s  technology for some that equates to WTCD's Kinesis that sells for £450.

Sometimes stuff breaks. Shame their warranty is a bit slippery.

Kinesis UK (crap)
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 01:07:19 pm »
Bought my Kinesis 4s Disc bike in 2016, May 2017 cracked at the internal cable port so replaced under warranty (eventually) May 2020 cracked again at the internal cable port. As they only give a 3 year warranty on frames, (most manufacturers give lifetime on frames) I contacted them only to be told the warranty had expired !

Showed them proof that they replaced bike with same fault in 2017 but they said the warranty stays with the original purchase in 2016? which is bollocks ! Surely a new frame comes with new warranty? Not according to Kinesis UK or Upgrade bikes who own them. They said they might be able to offer me a frame but it will not be free or compatible with my QR wheels so I'd need new thru axle wheels too !
 Crap customer service from a crap company.

If you are sure it is a design fault then there is always small claims court.

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2020, 01:08:37 pm »
If you are sure it is a design fault then there is always small claims court.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2020, 01:41:56 pm »
A yes 1930s were probably good for over engineering bikes and everything else as stuff was made to last. Today everything's engineered to a price point, so blame the number crunchers. Is cycling a hobby or a reason to be a miserable git. Have quite a few custom frames none have failed. 😁

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 04:28:34 pm »
Everything has always been engineered to a price point.

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 04:30:13 pm »
Except Harley Davidsons ?   :-)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 06:09:53 pm »
I also own a Van Nicholas ti bike, has suffered from a crack and was replaced without any problem as it has a lifetime frame warranty. A friend has had 3 ti frames break, one warranty replacement is still hanging in his garage unused as he refuses to use ti anymore.

Not everyone can afford custom frames.

This thread is about a Kinesis frame that cracked and the company is not very good at customer service.

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 06:23:14 pm »
My Aithein has an 89kg weight limit and external routing, but it makes me think.

I know this isn’t the frame that the OP has, but that’s quite a tight limit, isn’t it, compared to most bits of equipment that one might use. E.g. exercise machines I use in work have SWL of 175 and 200 kg. Different set of circumstances I know, and presumably Kinesis have to account for impact and twisting forces etc.

Mind you even my Vektron e-bike has a weight limit of only 120kg (including the weight of the bike, which is a whopping 22.5 kg).

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 06:31:30 pm »
The Aitheins are incredibly light. 

Anyone remember those aluminium superlight Pantani era Bianchis that invariably cracked?