Author Topic: New bike  (Read 1338 times)

New bike
« on: June 10, 2020, 07:55:26 pm »
Last year envisaged doing a Lejog this summer. And was after a "do it all bike". That is good for grotty winter rides, audax, but envisaged slower speeds, and the capacity to carry moderate load on a rear rack.
So I bought a Cube Nuroad Race. Marketed as a gravel bike. I've a decent hardtail and an old crosser with cantis, so any "gravel" pretensions didn't apply. The modifications I've made include fitting Giles Bertauld stainless steel mudguards, a Topeak heavy duty disc specific rack, changing the 105 compact 50/34 for Grx super compact 46/30and fitting a pair of 32mm conti gp 4 season tyres. The positives are, the chainset means I'm able to use all sprockets on the cassette, 11 speed, 11/32, the relatively large tyres give a plush ride. The overbuilt frame inspires confidence when descending as do the hydraulic disc brakes 105,7000 series. 4 point rack fixing. The negative is the weight 14kg, and stodgy ride. It'll do a good job of touring but for everyday use seems hard work. Do others experience this conundrum?

Re: New bike
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 11:24:50 pm »
You need n+1

Or if you read the Audax forum n+11

I appear to have a few bikes, but the various stodgy ones have never lasted

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:47:15 pm »
It's a conundrum for sure, but I think it's more of a question of your mindset prior to any type of ride than it is of the bike itself.  When I have to go for a short shopping trip into town I'm thinking that I want to get there and back as quickly as possible and so I might dismiss my "heavy" tourer as the preferred choice of bike despite it having the best shopping carrying capability.  So the heavy tourer gets neglected for a while until the next time a ride comes along that begs its use, and then when I'm actually riding it again and reminded of how comfortable and practical it is, I find myself saying to myself that this bike is utterly brilliant and is the only one I'll ever need.  After a few weeks of riding the heavy tourer exclusively and being reminded of its considerable heft as I park it in the shed, I decide that I should start using my lightweight tourer more often... and so the cycle of "...but I am the best bike of all" repeats itself again and again.  I'm happy to acknowledge that each bike has it's merits and is able to sway my opinion each time I ride them, but if I had to choose between them it would easily be in favour of the heavy one.

Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 03:14:29 pm »
We cant have one bike that does everything. I have been searching for that bike for 40 plus years. Just as we dont play tennis in steel toe capped boots,nor ballet in sandals,each engineered jobbie works differently. Alas,I'm still trying to work it all out.

I am always happy to defer my take on bikes and bike workings to others with seemingly better knowledge than myself. Howsoever,I do sometimes wonder how tyres,rides,components are measured better than another. I take it that some have tried and tested and measured comparable bikes...and secured and can recall that knowledge to compare. I wonder if this is can be so,tho. I tend to think there are so many variables on a bike with saddle position,angled framed geometry,that it all becomes too complex and that my own rides might be influenced by lack of recall or prejudiced by weather. I hear so many views and consider so many experiences, I now take all views as right,or as genuine as that expressed. But then I've read or seen good films or books which later I've found to be ...tripe.

Strange days.

I want to say dont have more than 3 bikes. But I have 4.

Five is too many,surely

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 04:55:10 pm »
I have 9 bikes and easily enough parts to build another two if I chose to.