Author Topic: New bike  (Read 425 times)

New bike
« on: June 10, 2020, 07:55:26 pm »
Last year envisaged doing a Lejog this summer. And was after a "do it all bike". That is good for grotty winter rides, audax, but envisaged slower speeds, and the capacity to carry moderate load on a rear rack.
So I bought a Cube Nuroad Race. Marketed as a gravel bike. I've a decent hardtail and an old crosser with cantis, so any "gravel" pretensions didn't apply. The modifications I've made include fitting Giles Bertauld stainless steel mudguards, a Topeak heavy duty disc specific rack, changing the 105 compact 50/34 for Grx super compact 46/30and fitting a pair of 32mm conti gp 4 season tyres. The positives are, the chainset means I'm able to use all sprockets on the cassette, 11 speed, 11/32, the relatively large tyres give a plush ride. The overbuilt frame inspires confidence when descending as do the hydraulic disc brakes 105,7000 series. 4 point rack fixing. The negative is the weight 14kg, and stodgy ride. It'll do a good job of touring but for everyday use seems hard work. Do others experience this conundrum?

Re: New bike
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 11:24:50 pm »
You need n+1

Or if you read the Audax forum n+11

I appear to have a few bikes, but the various stodgy ones have never lasted

Re: New bike
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:47:15 pm »
It's a conundrum for sure, but I think it's more of a question of your mindset prior to any type of ride than it is of the bike itself.  When I have to go for a short shopping trip into town I'm thinking that I want to get there and back as quickly as possible and so I might dismiss my "heavy" tourer as the preferred choice of bike despite it having the best shopping carrying capability.  So the heavy tourer gets neglected for a while until the next time a ride comes along that begs its use, and then when I'm actually riding it again and reminded of how comfortable and practical it is, I find myself saying to myself that this bike is utterly brilliant and is the only one I'll ever need.  After a few weeks of riding the heavy tourer exclusively and being reminded of its considerable heft as I park it in the shed, I decide that I should start using my lightweight tourer more often... and so the cycle of "...but I am the best bike of all" repeats itself again and again.  I'm happy to acknowledge that each bike has it's merits and is able to sway my opinion each time I ride them, but if I had to choose between them it would easily be in favour of the heavy one.

Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas